July 29, 2014, 06:49:13 AM

Author Topic: Shutter sounds cheap or maybe broken - 5DIII  (Read 1600 times)

Digirati

Shutter sounds cheap or maybe broken - 5DIII
« on: May 18, 2012, 05:52:40 PM »
I received my new "3" a few days ago and have been testing everything out and wondered about the shutter sound - it sounds like a toy. I was listening to a few samples online from others and mine sounds more like a metal on metal sound "ker plunk" (cheap typewriter compared to the "2"). It shoots fine in all FPS modes and photos look great, but worried that something may be broken in there or about to be. I'll see if I can post some audio later. Thoughts?

Thanks.

canon rumors FORUM

Shutter sounds cheap or maybe broken - 5DIII
« on: May 18, 2012, 05:52:40 PM »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
Re: Shutter sounds cheap or maybe broken - 5DIII
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 08:32:03 PM »
I'd imagine it's fine. Are you on regular or Silent mode? Silent mode may sound a bit weird, but it's freaking awesome to have it on a dSLR. Soooo quiet compared to regular mode. If you're really worried, take it into your local camera shop and have them give it a listen.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

Digirati

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 09:35:50 PM »
It seems to be fine...when I shoot with it away from my head it sounds a little better, but overall, less solid sounding. I was using silent mode as well and it sounds like a softer version of the same sound, and can also see how that would be great for weddings or other quiet ceremonies to keep the distraction level down. Overall, it rocks, especially the focusing. Overall, build quality, feel/grip and features are superb. I'm still getting used to the on/off switch and the push-button in the top-left dial for Av, Tv, etc. to change settings. I could go on about all the little details (like "quick view" that come in handy), but recommend reading the entire manual and start shooting in whatever mode you usually work in and take it from there.

It's quite a piece of imaging technology and most shooters should find it attractive. Now if that grip would just ship...

RichATL

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 10:50:16 PM »
I thought mine sounded funny too, kind of like a higher pitched sound, rather than just a solid "ca-chunk".

Its only really noticeable on one lens, so I chalked it up to the aperture stop down sound combined with the unfamiliar shutter sound of the new camera

Sounds normal to me with no lens on.

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 05:15:43 AM »
I must say, after the 5d3 came out, "most"people think that it must be something wrong with it. Really? What are the serious odds of something malfunctioning to that extent out of the box??

I have been working as a salesperson for 13 years, and I see maybe one or two products a year that doesn't work out of the box, calibration not counted of course. And this goes for pretty much any product we sell. And that includes the supercheap brands. Personally I got at 24 L II that was random at focusing, then a second copy just as bad, but other than that, nothing.

If it doesn't explode in your hands, it's 99,99% likely it's good.

1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 03:02:20 PM »
The shutter definitely sounds different from the Mark II, but IMO it sounds better.  But who the heck cares as long as the images look good?
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

AndreeOnline

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 03:43:47 PM »
First time I heard my shutter I also just looked at the camera in disbelief.

It has a very rattle-like quality to it. I'm coming from a mkII, which I think sounds much better.

I also find it kind of loudish, unless I'm in silent mode.

I guess it's an acquired taste.

I guess the sound and the AF-point linked evaluative metering are my gripes.

Love the camera, though.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 03:43:47 PM »