October 23, 2014, 12:32:15 AM

Author Topic: Which Macro Lens Would You Recommend?  (Read 13931 times)

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Which Macro Lens Would You Recommend?
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2012, 04:53:22 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly that the 100mm and 180mm are the two best Canon macro lenses.  I just wanted to add that if you ever buy the 50mm macro lens, that sucker is really sharp, especially in the center.  I'd say at f/4 it competes heavily with the 50 f/1.2L and 50 f/1.8.  Plus, it's cheap.  Since I don't need 50mm at really wide apertures, that's my 50mm prime lens choice.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2012, 04:53:22 PM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2012, 05:05:39 PM »
I just wanted to add that if you ever buy the 50mm macro lens, that sucker is really sharp, especially in the center.

I nearly bought the 50mm macro, but after trying it refrained from it because the "80's" noisy, non-usm af and build style. It's phased out by Canon btw, if you want it new you'll have to buy it now, but if you can live with the drawbacks it's a bargain.

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2012, 05:11:38 PM »
I just wanted to add that if you ever buy the 50mm macro lens, that sucker is really sharp, especially in the center.

I nearly bought the 50mm macro, but after trying it refrained from it because the "80's" noisy, non-usm af and build style. It's phased out by Canon btw, if you want it new you'll have to buy it now, but if you can live with the drawbacks it's a bargain.

Did you find that it focused slowly?  Did you have any dependability issues?  I read nightmares about AF quitting on the 50 f/1.4 but I really want that lens' image quality.  Do you have experience with it?  Thanks.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2012, 05:24:16 PM »
Did you find that it focused slowly?  Did you have any dependability issues?  I read nightmares about AF quitting on the 50 f/1.4 but I really want that lens' image quality.  Do you have experience with it?  Thanks.

I just read reviews and tried it in the shop. The micro usm of the 50/1.4 might be bad and due for replacement, but I just cannot live with the noise an old-school non-usm af produces, no matter what. Imho you shouldn't buy the macro as a prime replacement unless it's for a specific purpose, it's phased out for a reason or everybody would get it instead of the 50/1.4...

iaind

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2012, 03:44:00 PM »
5DIII + BGE11 / 5DII + BGE6 / 40D + BGE2N /8-15 4L / 17-35 2.8L / 24 3.5L TS-E /24-70 2.8II L / 24-105 4L IS /Zuiko 50 1.4/ 100 2.8L Macro IS / 70-200 2.8L /180 3.5L/ 300 4L / 100-400L

drjlo

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2012, 07:18:51 PM »
Ive owned the 100 2.8 USM non IS, 180mm 3.5 and MPE-65 and my vote goes for the 180
its awesome.. my fav lens of all time. super sharp

Cant wait for them to release a new version with IS. and hopefully at 2.8

I personally think MPE-65 is incredible.  100L and 180 3.5 still can only do 1x mag.

I would kiss Canon if they released MPE type of macro lens that can focus from infinity to 5X magnification, WITH an actual focus ring, 4-stop IS, and longer focal length for longer macro working distance.  It would be soooo sweet, and I'd be willing to let go of several L glass to get it  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2012, 07:18:51 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »
Ive owned the 100 2.8 USM non IS, 180mm 3.5 and MPE-65 and my vote goes for the 180
its awesome.. my fav lens of all time. super sharp

Cant wait for them to release a new version with IS. and hopefully at 2.8

I personally think MPE-65 is incredible.  100L and 180 3.5 still can only do 1x mag.

I would kiss Canon if they released MPE type of macro lens that can focus from infinity to 5X magnification, WITH an actual focus ring, 4-stop IS, and longer focal length for longer macro working distance.  It would be soooo sweet, and I'd be willing to let go of several L glass to get it  ;D

Except with a 2x converter on and on a crop body that is 3.2 equiv  ;)

jd

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2012, 11:19:33 PM »
"I'm looking for L glass only."   

Well, that certainly limits your options.   Just buy the Canon 100L macro.   I does go to 1:1 and the optics are seriously good.   If you are really interested in a dedicated macro lens then I have a few other suggestions.   The Canon 100L (which I own) has  both AF and IS.   Virtually all macro shooting is done with manual focus, shallow DOF and with a fixed mount such as a tripod.  AF and IS are just not necessary.   In fact,  you'll have AF turned off for macro. 

Here are a few other dedicated superlative macro lenses that you might consider:  the Zeiss 100/2 makro,  the Leica APO Elmarit100/2.8 R, and the Voigtlander APO-Lanthar 125/2.5 SL.  The Leica and Voigtlander are no longer produced and will require an R to EOS adapter but they are legendary macro lenses.   The Zeiss 100/2 makro-planar is maybe the best of the current Zeiss glass.  I own one and prefer it to the Canon 100L.   The primary drawback to the Zeiss is that it goes to 1:2 compared with Canon's 1:1.   It's capability to go to f2 will produce wonderful bokeh.   Of course, it's all manual all the time.  (I'm primarily a Leica M shooter and have a 5D2 for macro and sports.)    If you do consider the Zeiss 100/2 - take into consideration that the Canon mount (ZE) version does not have a manual aperture setting while the Nikon (ZF or ZF.2) does have a manual aperture adjustment ring.   If you decide to use this lens on a mirrorless camera such as the Ricoh GXR / A12 combo you will want the ZF version.   ZF mount lenses work just fine (without the electrical connection) on EOS cameras - but not the other way around.    One more thing -  I wouldn't bother with a 50 or 60mm macro lens.   They put you too close to the subject.   100 to 180 is best.   The 180L Canon has a great reputation but it's awfully cumbersome and heavy.   The Zeiss or one of the R mount macros are worthy of consideration.

jd

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2012, 11:45:24 PM »
One more thing:  If you have a 5D2 you'll want to use the Eg-S micro prism focusing screen for macro - and maybe everything else.   It's excellent and will give you exactly the focal plane you want  with a shallow DOF that is typical with macro photography.   If you have a 5d3 you are SOL because the focusing screen can't be changed on that camera.  That's one of the reasons I didn't upgrade to the 5D3.  With all of that shallow DOF you will get to learn about all kinds of cool stuff like focus stacking.   It's a whole new macro world!

briansquibb

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2012, 02:14:59 AM »
"I'm looking for L glass only."   

Well, that certainly limits your options.   Just buy the Canon 100L macro.   I does go to 1:1 and the optics are seriously good.   If you are really interested in a dedicated macro lens then I have a few other suggestions.   The Canon 100L (which I own) has  both AF and IS.   Virtually all macro shooting is done with manual focus, shallow DOF and with a fixed mount such as a tripod.  AF and IS are just not necessary.   In fact,  you'll have AF turned off for macro. 

The 180 is an L too

When chasing things that move or handshooting then AF and servo is what I use.

With stationary items using the tripod  I focus manually with my laptop tethered and use the EOS utility working through LiveView

jd

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2012, 02:34:28 AM »
"The 180 is an L too"

Mentioned that.   Great focal length but too heavy for me.

"When chasing things that move or handshooting then AF and servo is what I use."

I'm not that steady or fast!  I do shoot plenty of bugs for my friends at the local natural history museum but we chill the live ones first to slow them down.  The dead ones don't move much... I just can't get the sharpness or focal plane I want with hand shooting.   AF want to chase or worse, focus where I'm not interested.

"With stationary items using the tripod  I focus manually with my laptop tethered and use the EOS utility working through LiveView"

Agreed with LiveView.   It's absolutely necessary for macro.  The Eg-S is just a good all around screen.   I also shoot tethered with a tripod.   I use the WFT-4 and an IPAD (Shuttersnitch) to check images and framing.   I don't use the EOS utility.   I just prefer the IPAD  especially outside shooting landscapes.   I've gotten so dependent on Shuttersnitch / IPAD that I felt lost doing macro without it (IPAD left behind that day....)

briansquibb

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2012, 02:52:51 AM »
"The 180 is an L too"

Mentioned that.   Great focal length but too heavy for me.

"When chasing things that move or handshooting then AF and servo is what I use."

I'm not that steady or fast!  I do shoot plenty of bugs for my friends at the local natural history museum but we chill the live ones first to slow them down.  The dead ones don't move much... I just can't get the sharpness or focal plane I want with hand shooting.   AF want to chase or worse, focus where I'm not interested.

"With stationary items using the tripod  I focus manually with my laptop tethered and use the EOS utility working through LiveView"

Agreed with LiveView.   It's absolutely necessary for macro.  The Eg-S is just a good all around screen.   I also shoot tethered with a tripod.   I use the WFT-4 and an IPAD (Shuttersnitch) to check images and framing.   I don't use the EOS utility.   I just prefer the IPAD  especially outside shooting landscapes.   I've gotten so dependent on Shuttersnitch / IPAD that I felt lost doing macro without it (IPAD left behind that day....)

I find the 180 fine for handshooting - it also is good as a short telephoto when out walking. I dont catch buzzy things when out walking as I dont take a fridge with me :D

On a tripod of course then weight and size is not realy an issue

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2012, 02:52:51 AM »

marinien

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2012, 12:45:44 PM »
Except with a 2x converter on and on a crop body that is 3.2 equiv  ;)

I disagree. The subject won't be 3.2x of its life size on a crop sensor, only 2x.
7D | EF-S 17-55 | EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro | 580EX II | Benro C3780T + Markins M20

CanonGrunt

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2012, 12:52:08 PM »
100L hands down. I use it for portraits as well. Super sharp and beautiful images. Best lens I own in my opinion, and I own the 70-200 f/2.8 MK II. I just love this lens.
EOS 1V, EOS 5D MK III, EOS 7D, Rebel T3i, 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM L MK II, Nifty Fifty & Shorty Forty, EF-S 10-22 USM, 24-105 IS USM L, 100 IS USM L Macro, 2X Extender MK III, G9, and HF S-10.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2012, 12:52:08 PM »