October 24, 2014, 02:31:44 PM

Author Topic: 5D mk II still a viable option?  (Read 17546 times)

erakepio

5D mk II still a viable option?
« on: May 21, 2012, 09:18:42 AM »
Hi All,

posting this on behalf of a colleague who does not have internet at the moment.  However he wants to upgrade from his 550D to one of the xD range of cameras.

He would like to know if shelling out for a new 5d II is still a good option?  The 5d III is out his price range and he believes the 7D might not suit his needs.

He does a lot of landscape, low light (high exposure), some sports photography.

I went with the 7D as it suited my needs more.  however I can't seem to convince him!

canon rumors FORUM

5D mk II still a viable option?
« on: May 21, 2012, 09:18:42 AM »

NormanBates

• Canon 7D MK II
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
Re: 5D mk II still a viable option?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 09:39:58 AM »
I definitely wouldn't consider the 5D3 right now, unless you desperately need the improved AF or the clean video
personally, that's not enough for me to pay so much more ($3500 vs $2200), and therefore my decision right now is either 5D2, or switch over and get a D800

and given all this, in the end I'm just waiting to see if the 5D3 falls in price, as previous "losing models" have done (D700<5D2, 60D<D7000)
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=6539.0

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 10:02:44 AM »
Hi All,

posting this on behalf of a colleague who does not have internet at the moment.  However he wants to upgrade from his 550D to one of the xD range of cameras.

He would like to know if shelling out for a new 5d II is still a good option?  The 5d III is out his price range and he believes the 7D might not suit his needs.

I went with the 7D as it suited my needs more.  however I can't seem to convince him!

I don't see how that would be a problem just because a newer version has hit the market. If he wants full frame and a really good Canon camera then this is a great time to get a brand new 5DII while their still available. It's a great all purpose camera with outstanding image quality.
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 10:15:29 AM »
5d2 is a viable option as long as you dont mind focusing with the center point and recomposing AND OR manually focusing because the AF is horrid compared to the 7d...  the 5d3 is a much better all around camera but the 5d2 is good if a full frame is a must... otherwise the 7d is almost a better all rounder camera compared to the 5d2. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 10:32:33 AM »

Landscape and low light will be excellent with the 5DII.  Sports will be a challenge with the 5DII's rather poor AF system (AI Servo tracking, in particular) and the relatively slow frame rate.  Still, it's a great camera. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

michi

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 10:49:04 AM »
I have both the 7D and 5DII.  The low light shots coming out of the 5DII shooting RAW are amazing.  Not sure about the sports aspect though, a 7D might be more suited with better AF, higher frame rates and crop to zoom in.  Tough choice there.

lonelywhitelights

• Rebel SL1
  • Adam Cross
    • View Profile
    • adamcrossstills.com
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 11:05:15 AM »
As a 7D owner who has attempted landscape work I wouldn't really recommend it but for the sports aspect I can't really fault the 7D - apart from the low-light performance which is famously poor - my landscape work is usually ND filter, long exposure work so I'm never shooting higher than ISO100 anyway

but for regular landscape stuff I wouldn't want to use my 7D unless I had excellent weather.

the 5DII is far superior when it comes to low-light work since it's full-frame sensor isn't totally crammed with MP likes the crop sensor of the 7D. It's has been a long time favourite with landscape photographers - sure the 5DIII is out now but the average joe can't dig out that amount of cash.

I've seen a fair amount of excellent sports/wildlife work coming from 5DII shooters so the camera isn't exactly bad when it comes to shooting birds in flight or sports even if it's frame rate is lower and the AF system isn't all that great.

Buying a 5DII used is a great option, I bought my 7D used at around £800 ($1,200) for the body and I couldn't be happier - I'm currently looking to get a used 5DII this year as the used price will be dropping gradually.

Personally, if it were me buying and I didn't already have a 7D right now, I would go for the 5DII
UK-based Film and Television Stills Photographer

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 11:05:15 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 11:11:21 AM »
The 5D MK II is a excellent choice, its still up to date and very well supported by third party manufacturers.  CF memory cards are standard, and its compatible with even the 128mb cards.   Even the original 5D is still popular.

i'm probably going to buy another when they come into stock at the Canon Refurb store.

arioch82

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • flickr account
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 01:08:16 AM »
i'm only an amateur and i don't shoot any sport but i was in the same situation and i decided to go with a second hand 5d mark ii for $1500, i'm loving the fullframe and i would never go back to crop!
Canon 5D MkII | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | Canont 50mm f/1.4 USM | Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD

davidbellissima

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photographer in London
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 06:16:39 AM »
I own the 5D Mk I, ii & iii camera bodies. The Mk I will be going to a new loving home shortly. They are all extremely capable cameras and while each have their well documented individual benefits, they all offer value. Especially the Mk i which is now dirt cheap on the used market. In the UK the cost of new Mk ii bodies is holding firm meaning used bodies are also still holding firm. The price differential between the Mk ii and Mk iii is too large for the release of the Mk iii to impact Mk ii prices, in my opinion.

Yesterday I was reminded of the fantastic quality of the Mk ii. I hadn't blogged a shoot I did last year with the Mk ii, and having been using the Mk iii for a couple of months now, these images just made me realise how fantastic the Mk ii is and I am more than happy for this to be my backup camera to the Mk iii. Here are some images:

http://www.bellissimaphoto.co.uk/london-engagement-photography/london-engagement-photographer.html

I do agree that for sport or any sort of photography that places more demands on the focus system, I would seriously consider the 7D over the 5D Mk ii.

fotoworx

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 07:22:56 AM »
The 5DMKII is still going to be a great camera 10 years from now.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 08:33:10 PM »
He would like to know if shelling out for a new 5d II is still a good option?

At the moment, the 5d2 is the much better option when shooting video because it runs magic lantern - a look at the hdr video samples on vimeo should convince anyone, it's the absolute killer firmware. And even for standard still shooting it's extremely handy (automatic hdr which selects how many shots are needed, focus stacking, focus trapping, ...). It'll take quite some time until it is ported on the 5d3, my guess is at least a year.

http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified

Richard8971

• Canon 6D
  • "There is no spoon" - Neo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 09:27:27 PM »
One of our photography buddies just upgraded to the mark III. He offered us his lightly used mark II (21K clicks) with battery grip for $1600.00. My wife and I love it so far. We have shot with the XT, XTi, 40D, 50D, T1i and our new 7D. The Mark II blows them all away as far as image quality goes. We couldn't be happier with our purchase.

I bet you are going to see lots of Mark II's for sale as the III's get into the hands of more photographers.

D
Canon 5D2, 7Dv2.03, 50D, 40D, T1i, XTi...XT (& lenses, flahses), various powershots... You get the idea... I have a problem. :)

Wife shoots Nikon, D7000, D7100, (lenses and flashes)... we constantly tease each other that our cameras are better than each others!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 09:27:27 PM »

UngerPhotography

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 03:22:35 PM »
The only downside I have found with the 5D II is the AF. However, the camera is meant as a studio/landscape body and for those uses i have never complained about the AF. The camera is not ideal for sports or action shots, but I have gotten amazing  sports shots with it. http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik_unger/sets/72157629822941650/

I did recently purchase a 7D specifically for sports and wildlife, but I see no reason to upgrade my 5D II for my landscape and portrait needs. I would love to have a 5D III, but I certainly don't need it.

vbi

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 03:57:30 PM »
If he is looking for IQ, particularly in low light, as well as detail, then the 5D2 is an excellent camera. For sports use the centre AF point and crop later if necessary. IQ wise, the 5D2 as with all full frame systems, is noticeably superior to the 7D.
All politicians are scum
5D3, 5D2, 7D and too many lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 03:57:30 PM »