November 24, 2014, 02:08:35 AM

Author Topic: 5D mk II still a viable option?  (Read 17828 times)

briansquibb

Re: 5D mk II still a viable option?
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2012, 04:43:26 PM »
The only downside I have found with the 5D II is the AF. However, the camera is meant as a studio/landscape body and for those uses i have never complained about the AF. The camera is not ideal for sports or action shots, but I have gotten amazing  sports shots with it. http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik_unger/sets/72157629822941650/

I did recently purchase a 7D specifically for sports and wildlife, but I see no reason to upgrade my 5D II for my landscape and portrait needs. I would love to have a 5D III, but I certainly don't need it.

The centre AF point is very accurate on the 5D. Use that and you will get consistantly good results

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2012, 04:43:26 PM »

UngerPhotography

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2012, 05:36:25 PM »
The only downside I have found with the 5D II is the AF. However, the camera is meant as a studio/landscape body and for those uses i have never complained about the AF. The camera is not ideal for sports or action shots, but I have gotten amazing  sports shots with it. http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik_unger/sets/72157629822941650/

I did recently purchase a 7D specifically for sports and wildlife, but I see no reason to upgrade my 5D II for my landscape and portrait needs. I would love to have a 5D III, but I certainly don't need it.

The centre AF point is very accurate on the 5D. Use that and you will get consistantly good results

No doubt. It is the main reason I was able to grab such great sports shots. I guess the other downside is the low FPS. Not terrible, but there are some sports where you want to catch more moments in the action.

You can certainly can do sports with the 5D II, but it is not ideal. Just like you can do portraits and landscape with the 7D but is not ideal. They each are great cameras and have their specialties.

briansquibb

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2012, 05:43:42 PM »

You can certainly can do sports with the 5D II, but it is not ideal. Just like you can do portraits and landscape with the 7D but is not ideal. They each are great cameras and have their specialties.

At least if you get the shot the image is superb  ;)

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2012, 06:46:14 PM »
To answer the OP's original question, YES, the 5D Mark II is certainly a viable option.  I've considering getting one just so I could have the 5D Mark III, 1D Mark IV, and 5D Mark II as a backup.  The one I used to own took great photos!
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

hectorjr

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2012, 06:57:10 PM »
Any photographer with good enough skills can work around the limitations of the camera to get the job done. Coming originally from a 3rd world country I've encountered countless photographers who use the 7D for everything (portraits, landscapes, weddings, sports etc.) because the 5D2 and L lenses were just too expensive, and ROI would take too long to be lucrative.

I have used the 5D2 extensively myself and have shot everything under the sun with it. Although I have to admit fast action shooting can be a challenge, but not impossible! The jaw-dropping images it produced made its shortcomings seem not at all that big a deal (your mileage may vary). Canon themselves seem to be disparaging the 5D2 so you'd shell out for the 5D3 instead, but make no mistake about it: the 5D2 is a GREAT camera.

Whether or not the price difference between the 5D2 vs the 5D3 is worth it is up to the individual I guess. For me it wasn't.

CJRodgers

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2012, 04:49:20 AM »
I just got a 5dmkii off ebay this weekend. REALLY happy with it. It has done a few more actuations than i wanted (50,000) but its in great condition and i got it for £1000 and i lived in the same city so i guy came and hand delivered to me! Very nice of him. I had 3K to spend, so the rest is going on lenses / flash now and ill upgrade my body in a couple of years. I was gutted when this latest generation of cameras came out at the higher price point, but im happy with my choice to get the 5dmkii and better glass.

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2012, 06:48:38 AM »
My main photography is wildlife and landscapes. When the 5D MkII was first released, I considered it as a replacement for my 40D, but I didn't because of the wildlife aspect. Then when the 7D was released, I checked the first RAW images available, compared the amount of noise relative to the 40D and jumped in with a pre-order, keeping my 40D as backup. As a wildlife camera for someone on a budget, it is difficult to beat, however, I immediately saw its weaknesses when photographing landscapes. It can certainly be used as a landscape camera, but it needs a lot more care, with hyperfocal distance and at narrow apertures, diffraction is obvious. After about 10 months, I decided to get a refurb 5D MkII purely for landscapes and it has given me a lot more flexibility in landscape photography and has helped me progress through experimentation and the confidence that the camera will provide the IQ I need. I don't use it just for landscapes however, I often turn to the 5D MkII for macro work, because of the IQ and also because I find it much easier to focus manually with it than the 7D. Also, when the light levels drop, I also use it for low light wildlife, for example, last year, I used it to photograph woodcock roding around 40 minutes after sunset, using centre point focus in one shot mode. It certainly isn't a sport/action camera though. I also used it to photograph diving gannets and that was an experience to say the least (I had concerns there was something wrong with my 7D at the time). I managed to get shots, but it was a single chance on each dive, so I had to anticipate every moment and try to time it right. That's fine where it is more or less predictable once the dive has started, but for more unpredictable moments, it just wouldn't get the shot.
So whether your friend goes for the 7D or the 5D MkII probably depends on whether he shoots more landscapes or more sports. Overall, the 7D probably has the slight edge as an allrounder, but also consider, that the cost of the 7D and 5D MkII together are still slightly less than the 5D MkIII.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2012, 06:48:38 AM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2012, 02:30:29 PM »
The 5D Classic is still viable option if your willing to work with it.

The 5D MK.2 is even better but at this price point...

Why not just save the extra bit of cash and invest in the 5D3?

In the end, only you can justify the purchase you make. The only bit of advise is to buy what you really want and work hard to get it.

Otherwise you will regret you purchase and end up buying the piece of gear you wanted and wasting the time and money with whatever you weren't satisfied with.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 02:46:53 PM by RLPhoto »

hectorjr

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2012, 02:40:07 PM »
Good point. It goes without saying: buy the 5D3 over the 5D2 if that is really what your heart wants  ;D

When passion takes over reason in whatever situation price tags are more often than not ignored, hehe.

pakosouthpark

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2012, 06:59:12 AM »
im also going for a 5D mk ii but not sure if im going to get it with the kit lens - 24-105?
what would you guys do? buy the body only and lens from other makers? i am on a budget so im considering buying lens from another brands (sigma/ tamron). will for sure get a 50mm 1.4 but need another one for general use.

superotaku78

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2012, 09:34:40 AM »
I had a 7D for a year and ended up selling it for the 5D MkII...couldn't be happier with my purchase.  As many have said, the image quality really is night and day.  And in regards to the 5D MkII shortcomings, the AF is simple but I can still get great looking action shots of my 20 month old.

As for the 24-105 question, I think it's a great buy with the 5D kit and I love the lens for outdoor pics and parties using a flash.  Combine it with a Canon 50mm 1.4/1.8 or Sigma 50mm 1.4 (amazing lens for the money) and you've got a nice little setup.   

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2012, 10:06:00 AM »
The 5DII is still a huge jump from a T2i and a very capable camera.  I know with all the 5DIII bashing going on here that it's easy to get the impression that the 5DII must just be a giant piece of crap if the 5DIII is that bad.  But most people complaining about the 5DIII are complaining about the price (whether they want to admit it or not). 

Keep in mind people are still shooting with the 5D classic and getting awesome images, your buddy will be just fine with a 5DII.
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

pakosouthpark

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2012, 11:12:53 AM »
i think another question to add here is - will 5dmk ii drop down price this summer??
it was cheaper last xmas, i hope it gets to that price again! always a few to save and spend it on glass :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2012, 11:12:53 AM »

dickgrafixstop

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2012, 02:55:33 PM »
Not only is it still viable, it may be a better option that the MkIII if he's not interested in video.  The
price difference in the two will buy a great lens (or two) or even a second body.  Canon is seeming
to bend over backwards towards the video imaging crowd lately at the expense of the still shooter,
packing their offerings with (for me at least) unnecessary, unwanted and unused features that have
to drive the price up.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2012, 03:32:59 PM »
Not only is it still viable, it may be a better option that the MkIII if he's not interested in video.

Imho it's exactly the other way around since the 5d2 runs magic lantern.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2012, 03:32:59 PM »