October 24, 2014, 09:18:03 AM

Author Topic: 5D mk II still a viable option?  (Read 17544 times)

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: 5D mk II still a viable option?
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2012, 04:11:20 AM »
He does a lot of landscape, low light (high exposure), some sports photography.

Landscape and low light will be excellent with the 5DII.  Sports will be a challenge with the 5DII's rather poor AF system (AI Servo tracking, in particular) and the relatively slow frame rate.  Still, it's a great camera.

The 5D2 AI Servo isn't THAT terrible. Terrible compared to 1 series for some circumstances but otherwise it does AI Servo better than any rebel, any xxD camera, and, IMO, overall, even better than the 7D which can get rather erratic at times for football and soccer. The 5D2 AI Servo can get a bit slow and wacky when your subject is close in though. For a somewhat more distant subjects it sometimes does as well as a 1D2. Not saying it is amazing or anything, but in the Canon world only the 1 series and the 5D3 do AI Servo any better.

It's trigger response time is a bit on the sluggish side compared to some xxD,7D,5D3, 1 series though and it's fps is very slow compared to xxD,7D,5D3, 1 series, it feels like a sloth crawling through molasses after handing the others right before it.

If you need to use AI Servo with something other than center point then it's pretty awful and 7D, 5D3 and 1 series are all vastly better (even some xxD are probably better then (if not very good at all themsevles)).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2012, 04:11:20 AM »

Fknbryce

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2012, 05:18:08 AM »
You really can't go wrong with either. But his needs for a camera are varied. if the 5d3 he can't justify, why not get the 5d2 and a 7d? he'd have an unbeatable combination.
on an unrelated note. these photos are beautiful david

I own the 5D Mk I, ii & iii camera bodies. The Mk I will be going to a new loving home shortly. They are all extremely capable cameras and while each have their well documented individual benefits, they all offer value. Especially the Mk i which is now dirt cheap on the used market. In the UK the cost of new Mk ii bodies is holding firm meaning used bodies are also still holding firm. The price differential between the Mk ii and Mk iii is too large for the release of the Mk iii to impact Mk ii prices, in my opinion.

Yesterday I was reminded of the fantastic quality of the Mk ii. I hadn't blogged a shoot I did last year with the Mk ii, and having been using the Mk iii for a couple of months now, these images just made me realise how fantastic the Mk ii is and I am more than happy for this to be my backup camera to the Mk iii. Here are some images:

http://www.bellissimaphoto.co.uk/london-engagement-photography/london-engagement-photographer.html

I do agree that for sport or any sort of photography that places more demands on the focus system, I would seriously consider the 7D over the 5D Mk ii.

DaveQ

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2012, 08:44:05 AM »
5DII is still a great option. I have both the 5DII and the 7D, and for studio, landscapes, portraits, architecture, etc. my go-to camera is the 5DII. For sports, etc. I use the 7D. The IQ from the 5DII is superb.

briansquibb

« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2012, 06:17:29 PM »

Landscape and low light will be excellent with the 5DII.  Sports will be a challenge with the 5DII's rather poor AF system (AI Servo tracking, in particular) and the relatively slow frame rate.  Still, it's a great camera.

The 5D2 AI Servo isn't THAT terrible. Terrible compared to 1 series for some circumstances but otherwise it does AI Servo better than any rebel, any xxD camera, and, IMO, overall, even better than the 7D which can get rather erratic at times for football and soccer. The 5D2 AI Servo can get a bit slow and wacky when your subject is close in though. For a somewhat more distant subjects it sometimes does as well as a 1D2. Not saying it is amazing or anything, but in the Canon world only the 1 series and the 5D3 do AI Servo any better.

It's trigger response time is a bit on the sluggish side compared to some xxD,7D,5D3, 1 series though and it's fps is very slow compared to xxD,7D,5D3, 1 series, it feels like a sloth crawling through molasses after handing the others right before it.

If you need to use AI Servo with something other than center point then it's pretty awful and 7D, 5D3 and 1 series are all vastly better (even some xxD are probably better then (if not very good at all themsevles)).

The issue with the 7D is that the focus point is too big so careless pointing gets an OOF image (especially when pointing through gap in trees etc

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2012, 06:21:49 PM »

The issue with the 7D is that the focus point is too big so careless pointing gets an OOF image (especially when pointing through gap in trees etc

Lol 5d2 is a smooth-bore musket in relation to the near pin-point accuracy of my 7D. If you want good AF the 7D is your best bet unless the 5d3 AF or 1D series AF.

briansquibb

« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2012, 07:09:18 PM »

Lol 5d2 is a smooth-bore musket in relation to the near pin-point accuracy of my 7D. If you want good AF the 7D is your best bet unless the 5d3 AF or 1D series AF.

I dont think so - the focus point of the 7D is much bigger than that of the 5D2. Better AF maybe in terms of focussing and focus points - but the size of the focus point was most of the cause of 'soft focus' issue of the 7D

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2012, 08:25:23 PM »
To update everyone on how "viable" this option is, I think I'm shooting enough stuff right now that I am going to buy the 5D Mark II as a third body.  I really don't need any lenses right now, so it's a good investment for me.  Now if it only had the AF and fps as the 1D Mark IV...........:)

The IQ is good enough for me as an owner of the Mark III and 1D Mark IV, so I'd so go for it!
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2012, 08:25:23 PM »

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2012, 10:31:43 PM »

I dont think so - the focus point of the 7D is much bigger than that of the 5D2. Better AF maybe in terms of focussing and focus points - but the size of the focus point was most of the cause of 'soft focus' issue of the 7D

I disagree, have you read the manual? There is the Precise single point selection that is tiny for precise AF on the 7D. Hasn't let me down and the 5D's AF has plenty of times.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2012, 02:01:37 AM »

I disagree, have you read the manual? There is the Precise single point selection that is tiny for precise AF on the 7D. Hasn't let me down and the 5D's AF has plenty of times.

Well my 5D2 blew away my 7D in a super incredibly low light indoor one shot focusing test and I trust it a little bit more in general for center point one shot and even for AI Servo if the subject isn't too close and center point with assists can be used, under quite a few lighting conditions.

briansquibb

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2012, 02:06:36 AM »

Point isn't much use for faster object shooting like sports and wildlife. I had no problem with the 5DII AF but there - horses for courses.

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2012, 06:55:50 AM »

Well my 5D2 blew away my 7D in a super incredibly low light indoor one shot focusing test and I trust it a little bit more in general for center point one shot and even for AI Servo if the subject isn't too close and center point with assists can be used, under quite a few lighting conditions.

Interesting, because I can use any of my AF points on the 7D in no light scenarios w\ assist beam and get sharp photos and shoot wide apertures not worrying too much about focus recompose. No need to worry about which AF point to use, as they're all excellent.

psolberg

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2012, 11:14:27 AM »
IMO the 5DmkII is a better camera than the MkIII. The high ISO on the MKIII is not that useful due to the drop in DR and compared to the D4/1DX level bodies, it just can't compete. Not to mention the MKII was already good enough for most people so those running to the MkIII are a minority or just do it because they like the safety net even if they will never use the extra range. 6 FPS is not really a big jump over the 4fps of the mkII so it doesn't break any speed records. And the video addresses moire but you could have done that with the mosaic filter.

Unless you need the new AF, I see not one reason to buy the mkIII as it just doesn't do that much better to justify the price over the prior version.

DaveQ

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2012, 02:49:05 PM »
I trust my 5DII in no light implicitly...it has never let me down in this regard, and focuses in virtually no light whatsoever without hesitation. I get more focuses in very low light with 5DII than with my 7D

Interesting, because I can use any of my AF points on the 7D in no light scenarios w\ assist beam and get sharp photos and shoot wide apertures not worrying too much about focus recompose. No need to worry about which AF point to use, as they're all excellent.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2012, 02:49:05 PM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2012, 03:08:41 PM »

... there is the possibility of quoting only a part of a thread, you know :-o ? Otherwise people get confused, starting with you.

IMO the 5DmkII is a better camera than the MkIII. The high ISO on the MKIII is not that useful due to the drop in DR and compared to the D4/1DX level bodies, it just can't compete.

I just asked exactly this in another thread - can you point me to some review that says how exactly the 5d3 performs concerning dr drop w/ higher iso in comparison to the 5d2 (and maybe 1d)?

EOBeav

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Landscape Photoblog
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2012, 05:27:01 PM »
Without looking at everybody's comments, I just bought a 5DmkII, after owning a Rebel for a few years, and couldn't be happier.
In landscape photography, when you shoot is more important than where.

Gear: Canon 5DmkII, 17-40mm f/4 L, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/4.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2012, 05:27:01 PM »