October 25, 2014, 07:38:57 PM

Author Topic: 5D mk II still a viable option?  (Read 17559 times)

HarryWintergreen

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: 5D mk II still a viable option?
« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2012, 09:06:11 AM »
The 5DII is an FF camera and as such it offers many ways to improve your skills as a photographer. I do like crop bodies, but it is not the same. Since owning a 5DII, looking through the viewfinder of a crop body gives me the feeling that something's missing. In terms of RAW IQ, the 5DII at least performs equally well as the 5DIII (except for higher ISO). The attached image may give a slight impression of the fact that the 5DII is not basically incapable of taking photos of fastly moving objects. This photo of a home-flying snipe was taking when dusk had already started to settle (ISO 640, f/8, 1/1000, 1.4 Kenko TC, 70-200 f/4 L IS, very little post-processing). It's the best out of three shots taken.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2012, 09:06:11 AM »

Chopper

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2012, 08:44:34 PM »
I'm about to make the move to FF and thanks to this post, it will be the 5D MKII 24-105 kit over the 5D MKIII body only and still have money left over. I've been tossing it up over the last few weeks regarding which option to get but as I was reminded over and over again reading the 7 pages of this topic, I will probably not need the extra FPS and AF as my main interest is in landscape and portraits.

Thanks for convincing me to make the right choice based on what I like to shoot rather than how old the technology may or may not be  ;)

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 14, 2012, 08:46:13 PM »
I'm about to make the move to FF and thanks to this post, it will be the 5D MKII 24-105 kit over the 5D MKIII body only and still have money left over. I've been tossing it up over the last few weeks regarding which option to get but as I was reminded over and over again reading the 7 pages of this topic, I will probably not need the extra FPS and AF as my main interest is in landscape and portraits.

Thanks for convincing me to make the right choice based on what I like to shoot rather than how old the technology may or may not be  ;)

I had the camera for a long time.  You won't be disappointed.  As I mentioned many times and people are getting tired of reading, I really really regret selling that when I bought the 5D Mark III.  I really wish I had kept it now.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2012, 06:18:07 AM »

I had the camera for a long time.  You won't be disappointed.  As I mentioned many times and people are getting tired of reading, I really really regret selling that when I bought the 5D Mark III.  I really wish I had kept it now.

I do have the 5D Mark II and I am very satisifed. I will not upgrade to 5D mark III for the following reasons:

1st: price. It is too expensive for what it offers. It is not Value for money.
With less money I bought a TS-E 17mm and I am very happy with it :)

2nd:  AA filter?  I am afraid 5D Mark III is softer than 5D Mark II due to more powerful AA filter. It is very strange that Canon had to "fix" DPP and the 5DIII was softer when other applications were used  (for example Lightroom). To me this screems as softness unless someone with internal information explains.

3rd: They crippled it on purpose. With a 17 times more powerful processor they could make it 7 or 8 fps.

4. Non easily replaceable screen.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2012, 06:24:32 AM »
3rd: They crippled it on purpose. With a 17 times more powerful processor they could make it 7 or 8 fps.

Don't worry, in 3 years they might release a firmware upgrade like on the 7d enabling the faster fps :-p

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2012, 06:24:32 AM »