December 29, 2014, 12:18:08 AM

Author Topic: All is Quiet. Odds & Ends.  (Read 8415 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
All is Quiet. Odds & Ends.
« on: March 02, 2011, 12:12:27 PM »

Rumors

There’s nothing much going on for the moment. I don’t think much will be happening before April.

I don’t think Canon will introduce anything DSLR related before NAB which takes place April 9, 2011 – April 14, 2011 in Las Vegas. There will be lots of cool third party stuff for Canon HDSLRs announced.

I still expect a 5D3 before a 1Ds4.

New Lens Availability

There’s been a few suggestions that we won’t see the new 300 f/2.8L IS II & 400 f/2.8L IS II in March. I haven’t heard the same about the highly anticipated 8-15 fisheye. This is unconfirmed for the time being.

Live Blogging

I apologize for the messy RSS feeds with my live blogging testing. Unfortunately that was the only way for me to test it was working.

Final Cut Pro 8

We’ll see Apple release a new Final Cut for NAB 2011.

Happy iPad 2 Day

New iPad today! All the rumors say it’ll be a minor update.

cr

« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 12:26:55 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

All is Quiet. Odds & Ends.
« on: March 02, 2011, 12:12:27 PM »

Wahoowa

Re: All is Quiet. Odds & Ends.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 12:43:57 PM »
If 5D3 comes out in April, as usual, it should come out with a new zoom lens. Possibly 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM or 24-70mm f/2.8 IS USM. We will see.

barton springs

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 12:52:09 PM »
The new iPad 2 will have more than minor updates you can be sure of that.
I am surprised you'd suggest this considering we surely read all the same rumor
sites. I was an Apple account exec. for 8 years and what is about to come out
is going to be considered "major" in Apple circles.

Live updates on the announcement here.

http://live.appleinsider.com/

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 04:08:48 PM »
As I am not an expert at all what could  be a reason for a possible 5DIII release prior to a 1Ds or however they call it cyclewise...?
Thx and regards
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

justsomedude

• Canon 6D
  • 5D3, 6D and 7D2
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 05:39:22 PM »

Looks like quite a let down... front camera, dual core, and lighter weight?  That's pretty weak considering the competition (Honeycomb on XOOM, and the rumored Sony tablet). 

I think Honeycomb really caught Apple with their pants down - they simply didn't see that kind of leap coming from Google/Android, and thus they had no plan in place for it.  Now (for the first time in a long while) they are playing catchup in the OS department.  Yet, they've locked themselves in to their iOS infrastructure, which is really showing its limitations and stifling Apples ability to innovate.  They're going to have to break off their platform into a new OS to really move iOS forward.  I know they hate the concept of fragmentation, but they can't keep "tweaking" it in hopes for a cure-all.  They gotta grab the Honeycomb ball from Google and start from scratch with respect to their tablet platform.

Just my .02.

Stuart

• EOS M2
  • Hi there, welcome from a photo fan.
    • View Profile
    • JackAllTog on ePhotozine
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 04:17:46 AM »
Nothing on anthing mirrorless then? Or global shutter, Or how the entry SLR market will fair with APS-c appearing in compacts. Its been a long while since Canon introduced a new sensor. I wonder what they have been working on of late?
Battery life in the 60D is so impressive i've stopped wishing for air technology batteries, so maybe there is now room for a massive increase in camera processing power.
The other must have soon must be a combined radio wireless for image transfer/flash trigger/ tethered operation. Perhaps based on an open standard?
Canon 60D, 24-105, 50 F1.8. 430EX II.
Sigma 10-20, 70 F2.8, 70-300. Studio.
Giotto tripod, Hoya filters.

Macadameane

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 09:02:19 AM »
Nothing on anthing mirrorless then? Or global shutter, Or how the entry SLR market will fair with APS-c appearing in compacts. Its been a long while since Canon introduced a new sensor. I wonder what they have been working on of late?
Battery life in the 60D is so impressive i've stopped wishing for air technology batteries, so maybe there is now room for a massive increase in camera processing power.
The other must have soon must be a combined radio wireless for image transfer/flash trigger/ tethered operation. Perhaps based on an open standard?

The 5D III will undoubtedly have a new sensor.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 09:02:19 AM »

barton springs

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 10:08:54 AM »

Looks like quite a let down... front camera, dual core, and lighter weight?  That's pretty weak considering the competition (Honeycomb on XOOM, and the rumored Sony tablet). 

I think Honeycomb really caught Apple with their pants down - they simply didn't see that kind of leap coming from Google/Android, and thus they had no plan in place for it.  Now (for the first time in a long while) they are playing catchup in the OS department.  Yet, they've locked themselves in to their iOS infrastructure, which is really showing its limitations and stifling Apples ability to innovate.  They're going to have to break off their platform into a new OS to really move iOS forward.  I know they hate the concept of fragmentation, but they can't keep "tweaking" it in hopes for a cure-all.  They gotta grab the Honeycomb ball from Google and start from scratch with respect to their tablet platform.

Just my .02.

That product announcement yesterday was a total slam-dunk against the iPad competition.
You say.....
"tweaking it in hopes for a cure-all"
"I think Honeycomb really caught Apple with their pants down"

What universe are you living in bro? Are you just playing devil's advocate to counter the obvious
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX? Let's see where the Honeycomb market share will be this same time
next year.

One of your quotes should read like this....
""Apple caught the entire tech world with their pants down with the creation of the iPad"
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 10:23:22 AM by bvukich »

lbloom

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 10:22:27 AM »
Get a room, you two.

I'm excited about the possibility of a 24-70mm update. The current version or its update is the next lens on my list.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 10:25:12 AM by lbloom »

Etienne

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 11:49:51 AM »
Let's see where the Honeycomb market share will be this same time
next year.

Ugh.  Fanbois.

Sorry - I made the mistake of assuming you were interested in objective debate/analysis of the device.

Xoom / Honeycombe is far from perfect as well, and initial hands-on review is mixed at best http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-news/motorola-xoom-and-honeycomb-8212-not-ready-for-prime-time/1105 . Wishing it were different doesn't help.

Careful when you point fingers

justsomedude

• Canon 6D
  • 5D3, 6D and 7D2
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 12:01:05 PM »

Who's pointing fingers?  I just don't think a front camera and faster processor is a "surprise the world" product announcement - considering the impact Honeycomb had with it's 3D interface features, live-sync scrollable widgets,  and fully cloud-based sync. 

Is that a biased analysis?  It really wasn't meant to be, as I own both Android and iOS devices.  :dunno:

Etienne

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 12:55:09 AM »

Who's pointing fingers?  I just don't think a front camera and faster processor is a "surprise the world" product announcement - considering the impact Honeycomb had with it's 3D interface features, live-sync scrollable widgets,  and fully cloud-based sync. 

Is that a biased analysis?  It really wasn't meant to be, as I own both Android and iOS devices.  :dunno:

Apple products haven't click for me (I tried an iPhone3 for several months but went back to my ancient BB because messaging is so much easier on it), but some people seem to love them. Does that make them a fanboi?

The Tablet market is heating up and I'm interested to see what floats to the top, be it Apple or otherwise. But the Xoom with Honeycomb doesn't appear to be a slam-dunk just yet. The total package of power, usability, ease of use, weight and form etc will be what wins me over, and I think that will be a different equation for everyone. I haven't seen a convincing enough package yet in any of the products.

I think my expectation of a tablet is going to remain very high because I already maintain a smartphone, laptop, desktop, and Camera gear. I'd be sold if it could allow me to leave my phone and laptop at home. Maybe even if it could reasonably replace the laptop, or provide a lot of storage for images.

Canon 14-24

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 02:13:11 AM »
Got my 8-15mm on pre-order!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 02:13:11 AM »

Canon 14-24

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 03:13:37 AM »