December 18, 2014, 09:38:06 AM

Author Topic: Canon BG-E11 Battery Grip Pics & Preview  (Read 16206 times)

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Canon BG-E11 Battery Grip Pics & Preview
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2012, 12:14:26 AM »
Grip is a grip and that's it. If someone can produce a $90 version of a grip, it just shows how low-tech this thing is. It's definitely overpriced. You pay for the Canon brand.

Just like everything else in this world. ;)
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2012, 12:14:26 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2012, 10:21:32 AM »
Actually it would've been lovely! If it allowed 7fps as some of the crazy rumors said (per some Australia Canon rep) then I actually would be getting a grip (for the times seriously shooting sports).

The point is, Nikon's 'requirement' for the grip to allow the higher frame rate is a completely artificial limitation in the firmware - you can hack their cameras such that the higher frame rate is achieved without the grip, ergo, Nikon is restricting that feature merely to force users to pay more for another product.  Canon allows the camera to shoot at it's maximum frame rate without any add-on.

I mean, it's not like Canon would ever impose an artificial limitation on a camera model via firmware like that.  Never, ever.  Not even once.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

ideaworx

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • fishing x photography
    • View Profile
    • SaltHD
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2012, 08:59:39 PM »
Two points:

1) working professionals will write 100% of the $350 off, or at least depreciate it over several years as an asset.
2) the global exchange is incredibly different from where it was when the BG-E6 was introduced, hence a higher price.

I see higher MSRP as a good thing, as it raises the cost of entry for fauxtogs. I can always adjust rates, capture+processing, retouching fees to accommodate the cost of the new body over 2-3 years.

It costs what it costs - quit griping and make pictures!

+1 +1
5DM3 x Some Lenses

kitaoka

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2012, 04:22:17 PM »
I just received my battery grip and I will say that I am very impressed with the quality. I purchased the 5DIII as the 1DX I have on pre order just won't seem to arrive. In any event with the battery grip the 5 now feels very similar to the 1DIV. I sorely missed the portrait grip as I sold my Mark III and replaced it with the 5D.

Although it could never be as solid as a 1D body, it more than suits my needs. LOVE the extra joystick on the grip and I'll look forward to having that as well on the 1DX. Also there was some mention of the on/off switch on the grip. The 1D Mark III and IV both have an on/off switch for the portrait grip and I find it valuable. I carry my rigs inverted using Sypder Holsters and being able to turn the portrait grip on and off prevents me from taking inadvertent hip shots!

Wideopen

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2012, 11:57:49 PM »
Just got mines earlier today. I love it!  ;D Very well solid built.

thure1982

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2012, 10:28:12 PM »
It would be awesome if it could take 1D X/IV batteries (or something similar since it looks about the same) so one could have two batteries instead of four in the camera-bag.

Chris Burch

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • CHRIS BURCH photography
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2012, 03:08:40 PM »
I just received my battery grip and I will say that I am very impressed with the quality. I purchased the 5DIII as the 1DX I have on pre order just won't seem to arrive. In any event with the battery grip the 5 now feels very similar to the 1DIV. I sorely missed the portrait grip as I sold my Mark III and replaced it with the 5D.

Although it could never be as solid as a 1D body, it more than suits my needs. LOVE the extra joystick on the grip and I'll look forward to having that as well on the 1DX. Also there was some mention of the on/off switch on the grip. The 1D Mark III and IV both have an on/off switch for the portrait grip and I find it valuable. I carry my rigs inverted using Sypder Holsters and being able to turn the portrait grip on and off prevents me from taking inadvertent hip shots!

Would you consider getting a second 5D3 instead of the 1DX you have on pre-order?  I'm in the exact same boat as you but don't have the new grip yet.  I'm now tossing around the benefits of having 2 of the exact same cameras hanging at my side (with the same batteries and accessories) versus having a 1DX and one 5D3...the extra $3K is certainly a factor too.
Canon 1DX, 5D Mark III, 5D MarkII

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2012, 03:08:40 PM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2012, 08:03:05 PM »
The 1D Mark III and IV both have an on/off switch for the portrait grip and I find it valuable. I carry my rigs inverted using Sypder Holsters and being able to turn the portrait grip on and off prevents me from taking inadvertent hip shots!
Would you consider getting a second 5D3 instead of the 1DX you have on pre-order? 

Hip shots with the 5D3 & Spider Pro? I have the twin holster belt. With the 5D3 & BG-E11 on the left the shutter gets bumped constantly. Shifted to the right the release is on the outside, so no hip shots. Switching it off can mean missed shots if you reach quickly for the camera, go to shoot vertical & there's no action. Damn! Missed the shot! I have a 1D4 on the left holster and the button is just positioned differently enough not to trigger every time you take a step.

Here's my BG-E11 mini review. It's big.

With the grip attached the 5D3 is taller, thicker and around 30 grams heavier than a 1D Mk4. The 1D Mk4 with battery is 1375 grams and the 5D Mk3 with BG-E11 & two batteries is a beefy 1406 grams.  I used to pack the old 5D as a lighter weight option. I'm surprised. After shooting with both cameras, the Mk4 feels compact by comparison. I have used 1-Series bodies or added grips to APS-C and 5D bodies since the beginning of time. The 5D3 with BG-E11 has the disconcerting characteristic of the rear quick control dial being a noticeably further from your thumb in portrait mode than in landscape mode. I can't reach it without altering my grip. This is an ergonomic negative. But I'll get used to it.

It's an ergonomic positive though to have the joystick right there on the grip. It quickly becomes easy to find, making focus point selection quick & simple. Now if only we could see the black focus points! (see black focus points thread)

Will I cancel my 1DX pre-order? Almost certainly. A BG-E11 on the 5D3 makes for a very strong workable package that is not prefect, but what is? It's a far more significant upgrade over the 5DII than many people give it credit for.  I give it an 8.5/10

PW

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2012, 03:19:24 PM »
Just picked mine up.  Quality is very good IMO, I'm happy. :)
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

Lecaramel

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2012, 08:49:55 AM »
Razor: then after few days, how is your feedback? how is the grip material, the surface aspect, how the buttons and joystick are responding?
My 5DIII is on its way for my home, then I'll be glad to know before ordering one!

saminask

Day Trading How to
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2012, 09:22:27 AM »
Hey! It is like you read my mind! You seem to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you can do with some images to drive the content home a bit, besides that, this is great forum post. A good read. I will definitely revisit again.

aloper

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2012, 10:09:17 AM »
Razor: then after few days, how is your feedback? how is the grip material, the surface aspect, how the buttons and joystick are responding?
My 5DIII is on its way for my home, then I'll be glad to know before ordering one!

I've had my grip for about a week and half now on my 5D Mk3...Overall, it's excellent. The grip material matches the 5D Mk3 and it's solidly built. Flex is a non-issue unless your hanging a large lens, say a 24-70 mk1 or 70-200 off it and just hold the grip itself. Even then, it will barely move...

There are only three small gripes I have...none of these are major. I have large hands so it might just be me as well...But anyways, first up...The battery compartment latch is plastic...seems durable enough...but I wish it had more bulk to it or was metal...that one is very minor. Second, the thumb well is deep compared to the same position on the camera body. It's good in that it really lets you grip the camera. The bad part is that the AF-ON/FE/Focus point buttons are more elevated on the grip, compared to the camera body. So you have to lift your thumb up and then over or slide it up and over to the buttons. As I've used it, I've gotten used to it but it does throw you a little initially. Third...and for me, this is the bigger of the three. I wish the joystick selector sat a little higher up...On the body, you move your thumb at a forty five degree angle down and over to reach it. If you use the one on the grip, you have to bend your thumb and then move it directly down. Again, I have large hands so it may not be a factor for most...and with time, I'm sure I'll get used to it...

EvilTed

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2012, 10:29:20 AM »
So are these strong enough to use tripod-mount straps with?

ET

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2012, 10:29:20 AM »

Cfunkexplosion

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2012, 11:18:07 AM »
I just upgraded from a 7D with the BG-E7.  I thought that felt pretty solid, but I'm finding the 5D3 and BG-E11 to be on another level.  I've never used a 1 series, but I'm very happy with this camera feels.  Overpriced?  I guess, but to me it's worth the expenditure to love holding my camera. 
Canon 5D3  /  Canon 8-15L  /  Canon 35L  /  Canon 85L  /  Canon 100L  /  Canon 580EX II  / Canon MR 14-EX

eeek

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2012, 12:08:44 PM »
I'd like to point out that Amazon still doesn't have this in stock.  In an email from them, I was told that Canon did not release it yet.  When I pointed out that over 10 stores on their own page have it in stock, I was told, again, that the manufactuer has not released it.  I am using AmEx points and giftcards so I can't just cancel it and order it from 100's of other places that have it in stock. I've never used Amazon for a launch product, but I never will again.  They've been a complete joke through all of this process.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2012, 12:08:44 PM »