September 18, 2014, 05:44:43 AM

Author Topic: Canon BG-E11 Battery Grip Pics & Preview  (Read 15125 times)

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Canon BG-E11 Battery Grip Pics & Preview
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 01:25:42 PM »
It's funny that people will create profiles just to troll...*sigh*.  There must be something more constructive to do?  lol ::)
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 01:25:42 PM »

Lecaramel

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 01:40:20 PM »
I'm curious to know the differences between the 7D grip and the 5DmkIII one as the body seems to be very close. I'm almost sure it's not compatible by few minor plastic addons or slightly changes of design...

DJL329

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 01:48:55 PM »
I'm curious to know the differences between the 7D grip and the 5DmkIII one as the body seems to be very close. I'm almost sure it's not compatible by few minor plastic addons or slightly changes of design...

The pins on the top of the connector are completely different (same goes for the BG-E6 grip for the 5D2), so there's no way to swap one for the other.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III | EF 14mm f/2.8L | EF 28mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 300mm f/4L IS

Lecaramel

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 02:28:46 PM »
Then, that's not a surprise :p
Thank you for the answer. I'm tight on budget, then i'll wait a little bit to buy the grip...

Mencho(22)

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 03:04:43 PM »

I'm sure Zeikos will come out with a $120 grip before too long, and then a bunch of chinese knockoffs will appear for $60 ea. But, you are complaining about the price of the grip for a $3500 body? Seriously?

$90  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=6657.0;topicseen

And to be honest, Grip is just that... a grip. An accessory that lets you have more battery life, extra controls for vertical shooting and better weight and ergonomics when you use heavier lenses.

Why spend so much on it?

xthebillx

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2012, 03:58:40 PM »
Two points:

1) working professionals will write 100% of the $350 off, or at least depreciate it over several years as an asset.
2) the global exchange is incredibly different from where it was when the BG-E6 was introduced, hence a higher price.

I see higher MSRP as a good thing, as it raises the cost of entry for fauxtogs. I can always adjust rates, capture+processing, retouching fees to accommodate the cost of the new body over 2-3 years.

It costs what it costs - quit griping and make pictures!

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2012, 04:23:20 PM »
Besides the crazy price Canon is asking for this new grip, has anyone noticed how poor the build quality looks in these pics?? Or is it just me? The gaps where two plastic edges come together above the switch are quite wide in this pic:
Even my Phottix 50D grip looks like it has better build quality! And can someone please tell Canon to get a designer who does not think we live in the past?? When are they going to wake up and realise that an extra 5 minutes design work to

It's just you.  Did you not read what the guy had to say about it?  "Better build than the BG-E6," and "feels like a 1-series body," both of which are very solid.  I'm pretty sure it is weather-sealed and the gap you are talking about is probably just the lighting/angle of the shot.

It's kind of hard to judge something until you hold it in your hands, it looks solid to me and I'm sure it feels great.  It has the same magnesium-alloy construction that the 5DIII itself has.  Sure I don't necessarily agree with the price, but I'm sure it's very well-built. 

« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 04:25:20 PM by Axilrod »
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2012, 04:23:20 PM »

TotoEC

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2012, 04:57:16 PM »

I'm sure Zeikos will come out with a $120 grip before too long, and then a bunch of chinese knockoffs will appear for $60 ea. But, you are complaining about the price of the grip for a $3500 body? Seriously?

$90  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

And to be honest, Grip is just that... a grip. An accessory that lets you have more battery life, extra controls for vertical shooting and better weight and ergonomics when you use heavier lenses.

Why spend so much on it?

No, you are wrong!  It is not just a grip.  The life of the camera is hanging on this item.  Take a case of a wedding photographer who has 2 cameras suspended to the BlackRapid FastenR-3 hardware.  If the tripod socket is not able to carry the combined weight, then you can kiss your 5D3 and your lens goodbye!

Mencho(22)

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2012, 05:57:42 PM »
No, you are wrong!  It is not just a grip.  The life of the camera is hanging on this item.  Take a case of a wedding photographer who has 2 cameras suspended to the BlackRapid FastenR-3 hardware.  If the tripod socket is not able to carry the combined weight, then you can kiss your 5D3 and your lens goodbye!

Come on... do you really know any photographer use a serious alternative grip like Meike, Pixel, Vello, Phottix, etc who had such problem?

lonelywhitelights

• Rebel SL1
  • Adam Cross
    • View Profile
    • adamcrossstills.com
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2012, 06:43:08 PM »

$90  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Why spend so much on it?

why spend so much on it indeed! I bought a 3rd party battery grip for my 7D - to this day I have no idea what brand it is. all I know is that it cost me $60 and I got 2 3rd party LP-E6 copy batteries with it - and the batteries have performed excellently, running just as long as my genuine Canon LP-E6 - so I honestly think there's no need to spend great wads of cash on stuff that is so clearly overpriced.

sure the build quality isn't as good on the after-market / 3rd party stuff and after a year this grip has taken quite a beating, the rubber is wearing (looks even worse in these flash lit photos!) but when things are getting beat up you can tell yourself - it's ok because it only cost $60 and it's working like a total champ.

screw Canon and their over-priced accesories
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 06:47:41 PM by lonelywhitelights »
UK-based Film and Television Stills Photographer

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2012, 08:23:38 PM »
Why are people argueing about how much others want to spend?  It's their money, and they can spend it how they wish.  I'm one who likes brand loyalty when it comes to certain things, and cameras is one of them.  Do you put cheap aftermarket parts on your beamer or benz? ::)
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

71sbeetle

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2012, 09:14:39 PM »
With the new battery door design I wonder if you can still put a cf card in it like previous grips I should have looked at that when I had it in hand lol oh well

llcanon

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2012, 10:09:02 PM »
Grip is a grip and that's it. If someone can produce a $90 version of a grip, it just shows how low-tech this thing is. It's definitely overpriced. You pay for the Canon brand.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2012, 10:09:02 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2012, 11:10:04 PM »
ps. Canon could take some inspiration from Nikon when it comes to battery grips.

Agreed - Canon could force you to buy a grip to unlock a higher frame rate for the camera.  That would be lovely.

Actually it would've been lovely! If it allowed 7fps as some of the crazy rumors said (per some Australia Canon rep) then I actually would be getting a grip (for the times seriously shooting sports).

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2012, 11:12:35 PM »
Two points:

1) working professionals will write 100% of the $350 off, or at least depreciate it over several years as an asset.
2) the global exchange is incredibly different from where it was when the BG-E6 was introduced, hence a higher price.

I see higher MSRP as a good thing, as it raises the cost of entry for fauxtogs. I can always adjust rates, capture+processing, retouching fees to accommodate the cost of the new body over 2-3 years.

It costs what it costs - quit griping and make pictures!

if some of the 'fauxtogs' weren't better than you maybe you wouldn't need to say that ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2012, 11:12:35 PM »