August 27, 2014, 04:54:12 AM

Author Topic: How about this strobist set up?  (Read 4650 times)

Frankie T Fotografia

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr
How about this strobist set up?
« on: May 21, 2012, 06:27:06 PM »
I got this crazy idea to attach my Speedlites to my shoe adapters to create this crazy contraption ;D I didn't fire the flashes like this because I have to buy more AA batteries. This requires 32 of them. I'm guessing the effect would be similar to a ring flash. One very expensive and heavy ring flash  ::) I wouldn't realistically try using this setup because it's heavy, awkward, and not that sturdy. Just did it for fun and thought I'd share  :P
5D Mk III, 7D, 24 L II,  50 L, 135 L, 180 Macro L, 24-70 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS II, five 600EX-RT, 1.4x Mk III, 2x Mk III

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: How about this strobist set up?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 06:34:05 PM »
Sort of the ultimate ring light.  How would you trigger them?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Frankie T Fotografia

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 06:40:46 PM »
Triggering them is the problem. I was thinking of using a 7D to trigger them, but I haven't looked into how to connect this 5D Mark III to a 7D so that they both fire at the same time.
5D Mk III, 7D, 24 L II,  50 L, 135 L, 180 Macro L, 24-70 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS II, five 600EX-RT, 1.4x Mk III, 2x Mk III

briansquibb

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 12:06:09 AM »
Fire them though PW/Odins/why

Make good lights for shooting sport

I have used a 2 flash setup at a wedding with out problems (this was pre PW - just using IR bounce off the umbrella)

« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 12:14:07 AM by briansquibb »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 01:59:45 AM »
Triggering them is the problem. I was thinking of using a 7D to trigger them, but I haven't looked into how to connect this 5D Mark III to a 7D so that they both fire at the same time.

You could always get a bunch of PC sync cables, and cut off the ends and solder them all together onto 1 PC cable to the camera.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 07:16:38 PM »

You could always get a bunch of PC sync cables, and cut off the ends and solder them all together onto 1 PC cable to the camera.

would this work?
would you retain ettl or just be stuck with manual assuming it worked?no need to cut them you can just get a 3.5mm multi port splitter and plug into a radio trigger
APS-H Fanboy

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 10:07:44 PM »

would this work?
would you retain ettl or just be stuck with manual assuming it worked?no need to cut them you can just get a 3.5mm multi port splitter and plug into a radio trigger

PC Sync doesn't do TTL anything, no matter what, so you won't get that. If you wanted ETTL on all of them...hmm...I suppose you'd need PW/Odin or something similar. I'm not sure you can stack ETTL cables, or chain them like you would need for this. It'd be an interesting experiment though, although it'd cost you a bit of money for the ETTL cables you'd cut apart and solder. Anyone want to sponsor me? I'd need a couple of Canon speedlites, as I only have 1 right now.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)

westr70

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 10:51:30 PM »
I got this crazy idea to attach my Speedlites to my shoe adapters to create this crazy contraption ;D I didn't fire the flashes like this because I have to buy more AA batteries. This requires 32 of them. I'm guessing the effect would be similar to a ring flash. One very expensive and heavy ring flash  ::) I wouldn't realistically try using this setup because it's heavy, awkward, and not that sturdy. Just did it for fun and thought I'd share  :P

Hilarious!!!  Well done.  Now put it on amazon and sell it for $10,000.00. 
5DIII; 600D; 7D; 100-400mm, f4.5-5.6; EFS-18-135, f3.5-5.6; 100mm, f2.8 IS; 70-200mm, F4 L IS; 17-40mm, f4 L USM; Sigma 50 mm, f2.8.
http://500px.com/Westr70
http://www.facebook.com/JohnFosterPhotography

RC

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 01:25:01 AM »

would this work?

PC Sync doesn't do TTL anything, no matter what, so you won't get that. If you wanted ETTL on all of them...hmm...I suppose you'd need PW/Odin or something similar. I'm not sure you can stack ETTL cables, or chain them like you would need for this. It'd be an interesting experiment though, although it'd cost you a bit of money for the ETTL cables you'd cut apart and solder. Anyone want to sponsor me? I'd need a couple of Canon speedlites, as I only have 1 right now.

Oh come on, nobody read Syl's book?   :)  Set one as the master and bounce the signal back or better yet, place the master pointing back at the cluster connected via an extra long ETTL cable.   

The real question is how do you hold that beast steady?

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 07:32:47 AM »
Are any of the 550/580/600EXs?
I'm not sure what's attached to the camera, whether it's a real hot-shoe or just a coldshoe, but what you could do (presuming it's just a coldshoe), get a flash cable and connect to one as master, set all the others up as slaves, and hope there's enough light-bounce off the subject (or somewhere) to trigger them all...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

mws

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 08:42:54 AM »
Maybe you can sell it to the Navy, they can blind somali pirates from a distance.

PeterJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 11:33:01 AM »
I'm not sure you can stack ETTL cables, or chain them like you would need for this. It'd be an interesting experiment though, although it'd cost you a bit of money for the ETTL cables you'd cut apart and solder. Anyone want to sponsor me? I'd need a couple of Canon speedlites, as I only have 1 right now.
Classic shot by the OP ;D. You wouldn't be able to stack ETTL cables, they are an SPI like interface where you have a a master / slave type arrangement. When the master (the camera) sends the commands to the slaves (flashes) they would all try to respond at the same time. When you want to stack that kind of interface you normally need a seperate chip select type line to force the slaves into a high impedance which Canon flashes don't allow for from my reading.

Only way I think would be a microcontroller that sat between all the flashes and the camera and actually interpreted and tried to respond intelligently to the requests, like maybe firing a pre-flash from all flashes for metering but then only returned metering information back from the central one so the camera thought it was dealing with a single unit.

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 12:30:19 PM »
I'm not sure you can stack ETTL cables, or chain them like you would need for this. It'd be an interesting experiment though, although it'd cost you a bit of money for the ETTL cables you'd cut apart and solder. Anyone want to sponsor me? I'd need a couple of Canon speedlites, as I only have 1 right now.
Classic shot by the OP ;D. You wouldn't be able to stack ETTL cables, they are an SPI like interface where you have a a master / slave type arrangement. When the master (the camera) sends the commands to the slaves (flashes) they would all try to respond at the same time. When you want to stack that kind of interface you normally need a seperate chip select type line to force the slaves into a high impedance which Canon flashes don't allow for from my reading.

Only way I think would be a microcontroller that sat between all the flashes and the camera and actually interpreted and tried to respond intelligently to the requests, like maybe firing a pre-flash from all flashes for metering but then only returned metering information back from the central one so the camera thought it was dealing with a single unit.

Good to know, and kinda what I thought. Now, if those were all the new 600EX (or using another RF ETTL system), he could easily have them all working over RF. Although...I wonder if there might be problems because they're so freaking close between the master/slaves?