September 02, 2014, 05:26:36 PM

Author Topic: Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 Pancake Coming [CR3]  (Read 18724 times)

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 Pancake Coming [CR3]
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2012, 06:00:53 PM »
I disagree, because I think this is going to be an xpro1 style system, not large like a Dslr but not too tiny like the m4/3 systems. Why would canon cut into their g1x profits if it's just as small, cheaper and can change lenses?

I believe it will be large enough to justify fast aperture lenses like a Leica or the xpro1. They just decided not to make a faster lens.

I don't see Canon's mirrorless system using the EF mount -- there's not much point removing the mirror, but keeping the space for it. This is designed to be paired with an APS-C DSLR.  The point of it is to serve as a budget compact walkaround prime. It's not fast compared to a high grade zoom, but it is fast compared to the kit zoom.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2012, 06:00:53 PM »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2012, 06:48:27 PM »
Damn, now I'll be making pancakes for breakfast tomorrow!! That stack looks too good.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2012, 06:48:59 PM »
It looks to me like it would appeal to a lot of Rebel owners who are ready to graduate from the kit lens but want something a little sexier than a 50mm f/1.8. Just my take.
Yep this could be spot-on. The 50 f/1.8 is not a sexy lens. It is asonishing value at under $100 new, but few copies really deliver at anything wider than f/5.6. With the pancake, f/2.8 should be a non-issue provided it's sharp wide open. f/2.8 also helps deliver on a low price and very compact dimensions.

I'd be close to 100% certain that this is not a mirrorless lens. Expect to see a new range of glass for the mirrorless Canon.

Paul Wright

kdsand

• Canon 70D
  • Newt II a human stampede
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2012, 08:00:54 PM »
Hmm.

I was just thinking about point & shoots. Perhaps Canon will put out something to draw out the high end point & shoot owners. Like a power shot with removable lenses (very crudely put but anyway). 
60D, t2i, Magic Lantern, Manfrotto, Joby, Domke, SanDisk and excetera excetera

Positron

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2012, 08:07:02 PM »

- Sony NEX : 1.6 crop factor : shallow DOF but few lenses, where Canon has more than 60 lenses...

Remember that the NEX uses a different mount from the Alpha line, despite the exact same size sensor. Canon's EF line will not be meaningful for the vast majority of users if their mirrorless camera/cameras is/are small, as it must be if they want it to be popular.

Zlatko

« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2012, 09:53:14 AM »
Well, the 50mm f/1.4 has USM, so that would fit your needs in regards to "high quality 50mm", and the price is within this realm (usually <$400). Aside from adding IS, Canon doesnt seem eager to update their non-L primes, so, I wouldn't expect too much.
The 50/1.4 is more medium quality than high quality.  One can make fine photos with it, but it is not built very well.

Based on their prices, the recently announced 24/2.8 and 28/2.8 would seem to be high quality non-L primes.  Ideally, Canon would make a 35/2 and 50/2 or 5/1.8 to the same higher standard ... small lenses that are more durable, focus quietly and perform well.

BXL

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2012, 10:37:45 AM »
I don't see Canon's mirrorless system using the EF mount -- there's not much point removing the mirror, but keeping the space for it. This is designed to be paired with an APS-C DSLR.  The point of it is to serve as a budget compact walkaround prime. It's not fast compared to a high grade zoom, but it is fast compared to the kit zoom.
Why not? Think of the Pentax K-01: it's an APS-C mirrorless system using the Pentax K mount. And Pentax also offers a 40mm f:2.8 pancake for the K-01. Why shouldn't Canon introduce a similar - hopefully less ugly - system?
450D | EF 50 f/1.8 | EF 100 f/2 | 17-50mm f/2.8 VC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2012, 10:37:45 AM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2012, 10:45:42 AM »
Why not? Think of the Pentax K-01: it's an APS-C mirrorless system using the Pentax K mount. And Pentax also offers a 40mm f:2.8 pancake for the K-01. Why shouldn't Canon introduce a similar - hopefully less ugly - system?

Agreed, and make the 40mm F/2 and i'll be happy to drop more cash for canon.

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2012, 12:50:51 PM »
40mm f2.8 lens has been the lens of choice for "fully auto" point and shoot camera for a LONG time in the good old film dates. It is slightly wider than the 50mm "standard lens" but not wide enough to cause "perspective distortion", like the 35mm lens. In order to make it small. Canon havet o keep it at f2.8. Nowadys, DSLR will have "no nise" up to ISO 400, or even higher, easily. So for most situations, f2.8 is more than fast enough. So the 40mm f2.8 will make an ideal walk around lens for FF. As for APS-C, it be comes 64mm equilvalent. It is not wide enough for general use. That make ir quite "useless". Just hope that It is a high quality lens even wide opened, with REAL USM.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 03:41:34 AM by Rocky »

louislbnc

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2012, 02:27:14 PM »
If there's anything true to this rumour it just further proves that Canon is working on a smaller camera with interchangeable lenses. Though I doubt it will be mirrorless. If Canon wants to do it right, they should use EF and EF-S lenses. One of the problem with most mirrorless systems is that the lenses cost a fortune for something that most people either use as an upgrade to a point and shoot giving a bit more freedom or something that's smaller than a DSLR so it gets used a secondary traveling camera.

For example, Nikon's 1 series doesn't seem too attractive, the sensor is too small, there's little point to use a 2.7 crop factor with Nikon lenses and the body isn't that much smaller than a small DSLR. Not to mention that a lot of these camera aren't really pocket sized, oddly shaped and fragile with their zoom lenses.

What I see Canon coming out with is a diminutive DSLR rather than a mirrorless. Look at the Rebels, they're not that big. If the camera is going to use an APS-C sensor, it will still need the same distance between the sensor and lens. Might as well keep the mirror in there. Sure you could make smaller lens that go in a bit more but it could be possible to make quite small pancake lenses for EFS or EF mount. By keeping the mirror, the viewfinder would be much more pleasing to look into and it focus faster. (I'm not sure if the cost of the mirror system offsets the eye-piece display price)

To make it smaller and cheaper, deliberately cut corners. Give it 8-10 Mpx. There's no real need for more. It's not like this is the kind of camera that will get endlessly retouched to do a Vogue cover. With the lower pixel count it should be able to do very well in low light. Which brings me to my next point, with low light capability and being marketed to be used with a new set of fast pancake primes, ditch the flash. Might as well ditch most of the auto-focus system as well, just keep one cross type in the middle. With a simpler camera, it wouldn't need that fast of a computer and might be able to give it a smaller battery too.

TL;DR I think Canon should look into making a smaller and cheaper APS-C DSLR by sacrificing features in order to compete with mirrorless cameras.  Other than being a bit larger, it would have an edge over mirrorless in many other aspects (focus speed, sensor size, low light capability, lens selection, view finder, metering...).

kdsand

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2012, 03:06:16 PM »
I wonder if production has even started or if they'll be showing off prototypes like they did with the yet elusive 24&28 2.8 I.S..

BRNexus6

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2012, 03:07:47 PM »
Will Canon ever release a nice inexpensive 30mm 1.8 for APS-C DSLR's?  The Sigma 30mm 1.4 is the best option we have, but it's not a great lens optically.  I don't understand Canon.

BRNexus6

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2012, 03:10:30 PM »
I wonder if production has even started or if they'll be showing off prototypes like they did with the yet elusive 24&28 2.8 I.S..

Those 24/28mm 2.8 lenses are way too expensive.  Why would someone choose those two lenses that cost $800 each when you can get the 17-55mm 2.8 IS, or Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 OS for cheaper?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2012, 03:10:30 PM »

Haydn1971

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2012, 03:52:42 PM »
Speaking hypothetically, if a smaller sensor was used with a EF mount, couldn't the distance between the lens mount and sensor be reduced ?
Regards, Haydn

:: View my photostream on Flickr, Canon EOS 6D, EOS M ,  16-35mm II, 24-70mm II, 70-300mm L, 135mm f2.0 L, 22mm f2.0, Lensbaby, EOS M adaptor, Cosina CT1G film SLR & 50mm f2.0 lens

kdsand

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2012, 04:04:41 PM »

Those 24/28mm 2.8 lenses are way too expensive.  Why would someone choose those two lenses that cost $800 each when you can get the 17-55mm 2.8 IS, or Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 OS for cheaper?

That's why I just bought a Sigma 17-50mm.  The value pushed me  :-[ to cheat on Canon.
No regrets so far  :D.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2012, 04:04:41 PM »