July 22, 2014, 04:13:39 PM

Author Topic: Good, well priced monitor?  (Read 1840 times)

AAPhotog

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Good, well priced monitor?
« on: May 22, 2012, 08:18:15 AM »
What is a good, well priced(less than $800 the cheaper the better. Just no trash) monitor that I can purchase?
I am using the 5d3 and would like it to have an HDMI input(with 720P playback while recording) as well as the ability to see different crop modes(2.35:1 needed), focus peaking wouldn't hurt also. If possible(not a deal breaker), would like it to be able to be mounted to the hotshoe.
Any ideas? What are you guys using?
iPhone 4s camera

canon rumors FORUM

Good, well priced monitor?
« on: May 22, 2012, 08:18:15 AM »

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Good, well priced monitor?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 10:06:33 AM »
I use a 7" Marshall (was around $1000, $1300 with batteries/charger), a 5" Marshall ($500) and a Zacuto EVF ($740 + $350 for Z-Finder).  Out of those the Zacuto EVF is the only one that has multiple options for frame lines (2:35:1 being one of them).  It really is a useful unit, really makes you feel like you are "one with the camera."

I think the Marshall monitors have different options for markers, and I'm sure with some trial and error and math you could figure out a way to have guides for shooting 2:35:1, but the EVF is the only one that has a quick, clear-cut option for that (that I am aware of).  Then again you could always just buy a monitor, shoot a static scene on a tripod, pull it into your editor and add the 2:35:1 crop marks and then tape over the cropped areas on your monitor.  Sounds tedious but it could save you a lot of money.
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

AAPhotog

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 10:27:19 AM »
I use a 7" Marshall (was around $1000, $1300 with batteries/charger), a 5" Marshall ($500) and a Zacuto EVF ($740 + $350 for Z-Finder).  Out of those the Zacuto EVF is the only one that has multiple options for frame lines (2:35:1 being one of them).  It really is a useful unit, really makes you feel like you are "one with the camera."

I think the Marshall monitors have different options for markers, and I'm sure with some trial and error and math you could figure out a way to have guides for shooting 2:35:1, but the EVF is the only one that has a quick, clear-cut option for that (that I am aware of).  Then again you could always just buy a monitor, shoot a static scene on a tripod, pull it into your editor and add the 2:35:1 crop marks and then tape over the cropped areas on your monitor.  Sounds tedious but it could save you a lot of money.

wow... $1300 and no markers.
I like the Zacuto stuff but you've got to be at eye level with the camera at all times.
iPhone 4s camera

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 12:28:26 PM »
Just thinking in 'hacker mode' right now....but I wonder if one might use some type of tablet plugged into the camera for this?

I've got a Barnes and Nobel nook color, that I rooted and put Android on....It might be fun to see if video could be routed to it. You can pick these up for about $100 easily...and they're simple to root.

A friend of mine got the Motorola Xoom, and I'm pretty sure it would be an easy set up to pipe video into it.

You'd just need to come up with a good way to mount it with the camera set up.

Anyway...since the OP was asking about sub $800...thought this might be something to investigate, especially if he already had one laying around, or wanted to get something on ebay that would do this. And with a tablet, you also have other functionality...clapper apps...good for taking notes...etc.

My $0.02,

cayenne

psolberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 10:09:45 AM »
I can get a 46inch TV for the price of that thing lol. what a ripoff. I agree with the hack it method specially if you don't need the rugged aspect. although viewing it in the sun may prove challenging.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 08:17:25 PM »
I like the Zacuto stuff but you've got to be at eye level with the camera at all times.

I was talking about the electronic viewfinder, not the Z-Finder, you can position the EVF any way you want. 
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

AAPhotog

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 09:52:52 PM »

I was talking about the electronic viewfinder, not the Z-Finder, you can position the EVF any way you want.
just looked. At 1,000 dollars=not too tempting. I do find it funny how these folks have these small monitors at 1,000 dollars when I can get about 40 more inches for the same price and view more than just a camera on them lol...

I'm thinking about maybe the DP4. Just seems like a bit waste of money for less than 1 more inch than the cameras LCD has.
iPhone 4s camera

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 09:52:52 PM »

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 04:54:34 PM »
I just read an interesting article here about re-purposing a Motorola ATRIX 4G Laptop Dock for the ATRIX 4G phone, and using it as an external monitor:

http://nofilmschool.com/2012/05/12-inch-720p-monitor-for-dslrs-under-100/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nofilmschool+%28NoFilmSchool%29

The interesting part of this was...in the article,they mention using a wireless HDMI powered USB connector...and you might be able to pull off using this thing as a wireless external monitor for you shooting with a DSLR....

I might keep an eye out for something like this..on ebay or the like. For a few dollars it might prove to be an interesting tool...and be a little DIY to make you proud to show what you can do!!
:)

Give this a look and let me know your thoughts?

Cayenne

whoismatt

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 07:49:13 PM »
The SmallHD DP6 is phenomenal. 

http://www.smallhd.com/site/home.html

The DP6 is my favorite.  It takes Canon batteries too.  $900 though.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 07:49:13 PM »