Image & Video Galleries > Landscape

Georgian Bay

(1/3) > >>

wellfedCanuck:
Rebel XT with kit lens.

Does this photo still work with the sunset slightly left of centre? I was rushed and trying to keep the dock and boat in the frame while finding my footing on the uneven, rocky shoreline a bit tricky.

*edit to correct broken link

Kernuak:

--- Quote from: wellfedCanuck on May 22, 2012, 09:47:08 AM ---
Rebel XT with kit lens.

Does this photo still work with the sunset slightly left of centre? I was rushed and trying to keep the dock and boat in the frame while finding my footing on the uneven, rocky shoreline a bit tricky.

--- End quote ---

It's actually better to have the sunset off centre, otherwise it looks more like a snap shot (unless there is some spectacular symmetry). The key to a good sunset image is to have strong supporting elements in the foreground that help the viewer to the sunset. It would have been better not to have cropped the back of the boat in your framing, this would also have pushed the sun further from the centre towards the natural thirds intersect, with the front of the boat on the opposite intersect.

wellfedCanuck:
Thanks for the advice but not sure I follow completely... The only cropping I've done was a handful of pixels off each edge as I levelled the horizon. You're saying that the sunset would be better 1/3 in from the left with the bow of the boat 2/3 of the way from the left edge of the photo?

keithfullermusic:

--- Quote from: xamkrah on May 22, 2012, 05:27:54 PM ---I think he was on about the sun should be placed following the rule of thirds.

i made a small illustration for you:

Edit: i really s*ck at drawing :<

--- End quote ---

Good thing you copyrighted that image, because I was about to use it!

keithfullermusic:

--- Quote from: wellfedCanuck on May 22, 2012, 09:47:08 AM ---
Rebel XT with kit lens.

--- End quote ---

I think it looks nice, but I do agree that it could have been framed a little better.

Also, what photo editing software are you using?  One thing that I do when I get a blue color temp on things because of sunsets (i know the water shoudo be blue) is turn the saturation down on the blue channel and paint in the edit over things that should be white (like the boat), and it makes things pop a lot more.  Another thing that you should try out are graduated nd filters for sunsets.  Believe me, unless you want to do HDRs you will love them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version