August 20, 2014, 05:41:27 AM

Author Topic: Georgian Bay  (Read 4918 times)

wellfedCanuck

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Georgian Bay
« on: May 22, 2012, 09:47:08 AM »
Rebel XT with kit lens.

Does this photo still work with the sunset slightly left of centre? I was rushed and trying to keep the dock and boat in the frame while finding my footing on the uneven, rocky shoreline a bit tricky.

*edit to correct broken link
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 04:56:32 PM by wellfedCanuck »
Don't take my advice. Don't even take my advice not to take my advice.

canon rumors FORUM

Georgian Bay
« on: May 22, 2012, 09:47:08 AM »

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
Re: Georgian Bay
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 03:26:03 PM »

Rebel XT with kit lens.

Does this photo still work with the sunset slightly left of centre? I was rushed and trying to keep the dock and boat in the frame while finding my footing on the uneven, rocky shoreline a bit tricky.

It's actually better to have the sunset off centre, otherwise it looks more like a snap shot (unless there is some spectacular symmetry). The key to a good sunset image is to have strong supporting elements in the foreground that help the viewer to the sunset. It would have been better not to have cropped the back of the boat in your framing, this would also have pushed the sun further from the centre towards the natural thirds intersect, with the front of the boat on the opposite intersect.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

wellfedCanuck

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 04:44:19 PM »
Thanks for the advice but not sure I follow completely... The only cropping I've done was a handful of pixels off each edge as I levelled the horizon. You're saying that the sunset would be better 1/3 in from the left with the bow of the boat 2/3 of the way from the left edge of the photo?

keithfullermusic

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • k2focus.com
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 05:50:11 PM »
I think he was on about the sun should be placed following the rule of thirds.

i made a small illustration for you:

Edit: i really s*ck at drawing :<

Good thing you copyrighted that image, because I was about to use it!
5Diii - 50D - 100mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/2.8, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430 EX II, YN560
---
Pics - http://k2focus.com | Tunes - http://keithfullermusic.com | For Fun - http://thewalkingdeadrumors.com

keithfullermusic

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • k2focus.com
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 05:53:33 PM »

Rebel XT with kit lens.

I think it looks nice, but I do agree that it could have been framed a little better.

Also, what photo editing software are you using?  One thing that I do when I get a blue color temp on things because of sunsets (i know the water shoudo be blue) is turn the saturation down on the blue channel and paint in the edit over things that should be white (like the boat), and it makes things pop a lot more.  Another thing that you should try out are graduated nd filters for sunsets.  Believe me, unless you want to do HDRs you will love them.
5Diii - 50D - 100mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/2.8, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430 EX II, YN560
---
Pics - http://k2focus.com | Tunes - http://keithfullermusic.com | For Fun - http://thewalkingdeadrumors.com

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 06:21:57 PM »
Cropping doesn't necessarily mean croping the image in post. Often when an element is close to the edge of the original image, it's referred to as cropping in the camera. As Xamkrah mentioned, moving the sun to comply with the rule of thirds would make a stronger image. While it isn't a hard and fast rule and all artistic rules are there to be broken, it is an important rule to learn about. I also echo Keith's advice about grad filters, they can make a huge difference when used correctly. For sunsets, reverse grad filters can be especially useful, but only Singh-Ray make them.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

Orangutan

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 06:36:41 PM »
You could also crop tighter to eliminate the back-ends of the boat and dock.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 06:36:41 PM »

Kamera Obscura

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 06:52:29 PM »
the point in Kits.

dario.

DB

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 07:01:30 PM »

Rebel XT with kit lens.

I think it looks nice, but I do agree that it could have been framed a little better.

The horizon is almost in the middle of the photo and there is a lot of dead dark space in the lower third, so if an inch and a half was trimmed off the bottom it might look a little better, but otherwise it is a very nice sunset shot with the Sea Ray Sundancer (looks like a 240DA, I've owned the 240, 260 and 270 models, that's how I know the boat model) in the foreground.

wellfedCanuck

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 09:20:21 PM »
Thanks very much everyone for the advice, xamkrah for the drawing, Kamra Obscura for the comparison shot.

Kernuak- I'll have to read up on grad filters and I'll try the shot again using your framing suggestions.

To answer your question, Keith- PhotoShop Elements but all I did was level the shot and re-crop slightly to eliminate the resulting whitespace. I tried to mess with the colours but didn't like the result.  What my uneducated, unsophisticated eye finds pleasing about this photo is the way the blues and purples transition to the pink and yellow. So although I hear your comment, DB, about dead space, I'll have to take another look because that's where the darkest blues originate.

Oh, and BTW DB- not a SeaRay, a Chaparral Signature 240  ;) Which, because it needed a new cockpit cover and boat gas is now $1.55 per L at 30 litres per hour- is the reason I won't be getting a 5D3 anytime soon. (Actually, probably not even a new Rebel since that dock needs a new ramp, too, but I digress...)  :'(
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 09:51:20 PM by wellfedCanuck »

wellfedCanuck

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 09:51:04 PM »
breaking the rule of thirds, but what the heck...
-Rebel XT, kit lens, circular polarizer

wellfedCanuck

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 06:48:44 PM »

wellfedCanuck

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 04:48:02 PM »
shot with my RebelXT, can't wait to get back up there with my 6D...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 04:48:02 PM »

wellfedCanuck

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 09:11:01 PM »
RebelXT, kit lens, CP

wellfedCanuck

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 07:42:58 AM »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 07:42:58 AM »