July 24, 2014, 07:36:32 AM

Author Topic: 1D Mark IV and 7D (this is not a comparison thread)  (Read 1343 times)

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
1D Mark IV and 7D (this is not a comparison thread)
« on: May 22, 2012, 02:36:01 PM »
No, this is NOT one of those comparison threads that we all just get so sick and tired of.  I will not put anyone through this one again!  I promise.  If people start comparing specs I'll take the dignity of "tempabanning" myself from this formum outright for a minimum of 3 days.

That aside, I have the opportunity to be hired for high school sports photos in my region for this winter and spring.  I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this.  I also got the opportunity to purchase a relatively low-use used 1D Mark IV but I already have the 7D.  My question, from experience, would it be worth it to sell my 7D and use the 1D Mark IV instead?  I do have the money to do this, but if in your experiences it is nothing special over the 7D, I won't do it.  Additionally, I have a 5D Mark III.  Reading the reviews and specs, I just don't know it I'd need a 5D Mark III and a 1D Mark IV.  I really don't want to wait on or purchase the high premium 1D X.  Seems to me the 1D X would just have very diminishing returns for me, personally.  Thanks everyone!
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

1D Mark IV and 7D (this is not a comparison thread)
« on: May 22, 2012, 02:36:01 PM »

3kramd5

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: 1D Mark IV and 7D (this is not a comparison thread)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 02:42:43 PM »
Seems to me the 1D X would just have very diminishing returns for me, personally.  Thanks everyone!

How so?

Canon's best autofocus. Canon's best framerate. Canon's highest sensitivity.

If you can benefit from a mk4, you can benefit from an x.

Holy crap you have an enviable assortment of glass!
5D3, 5D2, 40D; Various lenses

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 01:24:30 AM »
Per the glass, my credit card bills the last few months have not been envious.  Anyways, regarding the 1DX, I guess I just figure I can shoot with a 1D Mark IV (maybe) and buy another lens, say another 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS or a 24-70mm f/2.8L II.  And for indoor basketball let's say, I doubt I'll be able to "produce" images markedly different with the 1D X vs. the 1D Mark IV.  I mean, I'm certainly open-minded, if you guys really think it would be worth it then I'd do it.  It'll probably be a long time before the 1D X would get into my hands though.  And I really can't shoot night football games right now, because I don't have the insane long focal length glass such as the 200 f/2L, 300 f/2.8L, etc.  I just haven't been able to justify buying those and my 70-200 f/2.8L lens just isn't cutting it from where I have to stand at those dang football games.  I need a 500mm lens really.  Now I'm off on a glass tangent, sorry.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 02:22:07 AM »
Will you only be shooting indoors? Only basketball?

Here is something to think about. The 1DX and 1D Mk IV has better weather proofing than your current cameras, but if I were you then I would consider the resale value as well.

Your 7D is likely to drop in price quickest as so many new cameras come out including - perhaps - a7D Mk II.

The 5D Mk III is going to retain its value best of all between the two you already have, and I would imagine that if you buy a 1D X or 1D Mk IV the latter will drop in value quickest meaning you may be able to use the 1D X for a couple or more years until a new flagship  is announced - benefit from all its brand new technology - and still sell it for a good price.

This does not answer your question I know.

An alernative would be to rent the 1D Mk IV and use it for a while, see how you like it etc.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

briansquibb

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 03:07:07 AM »
No, this is NOT one of those comparison threads that we all just get so sick and tired of.  I will not put anyone through this one again!  I promise.  If people start comparing specs I'll take the dignity of "tempabanning" myself from this formum outright for a minimum of 3 days.

That aside, I have the opportunity to be hired for high school sports photos in my region for this winter and spring.  I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this.  I also got the opportunity to purchase a relatively low-use used 1D Mark IV but I already have the 7D.  My question, from experience, would it be worth it to sell my 7D and use the 1D Mark IV instead?  I do have the money to do this, but if in your experiences it is nothing special over the 7D, I won't do it.  Additionally, I have a 5D Mark III.  Reading the reviews and specs, I just don't know it I'd need a 5D Mark III and a 1D Mark IV.  I really don't want to wait on or purchase the high premium 1D X.  Seems to me the 1D X would just have very diminishing returns for me, personally.  Thanks everyone!

Think of anything a 7D does - and the 1D4 does much better. 10fps instead of 8 (7D) or 6(5DIII) DOES make a difference for fast moving sports - especially as the buffer is much bigger.

IQ on the 1D4 is superb

The 1D4 also has the ability to be able to set the minimum shutter speed in AV mode, set the AV (obviously) and AutoISO. The camera then uses the AF point (another big plus) to get the metering correct by adjusting the ISO. Being in AV mode you also get EC as well. All in all a great bonus when taking fast moving sports. Over the weekend I took some 800 shots like this and all came out metered as expected - whereas the 7D wasn't so clever. The 1D4 is comfortable to iso6400 so that will help as the light starts to drop. (12800 is OK but noise starts to appear then)

A new 1DX (when available) will be double the cost of a used 1D4 so I think you are right about the diminishing returns.

From last weekend

Camera Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Image Date: 2012-05-19 14:03:04 +0100
Focal Length: 24-105@105.0mm
Aperture: f/11.0
Exposure Time: 0.0031 s (1/320)
ISO equiv: 100
Exposure Bias: -0.67 EV

« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 03:14:26 AM by briansquibb »

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 09:36:53 AM »
Thank you for your responses so far.  That helps very much.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 09:36:53 AM »