September 18, 2014, 01:50:16 AM

Author Topic: Shooting Cooking Videos: How to clean and protect lenses?  (Read 1370 times)

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Shooting Cooking Videos: How to clean and protect lenses?
« on: May 22, 2012, 04:29:51 PM »
Hello all,

I've gotten my 5D Mark III...and part of what I want to do with it, and film my cooking 'show' with it.

That being said...it occured to me, that filming things sautee'ing, and with just the oils, steam, etc..in the air while in the kitchen, I'd run the risk of getting 'gunk' for a better word, on my lenses.

How would you :

1. Clean the lens if it does get oils/debris on it?
2. Protect and prevent oils, moisture, etc....from dirtying the lens?

I'm guessing that using windex is right out the window as an option  :)

But seriously....any advice for shooting cooking video and keeping things in lens-land clean and tidy, but if you do get dirty...best way to clean up?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

canon rumors FORUM

Shooting Cooking Videos: How to clean and protect lenses?
« on: May 22, 2012, 04:29:51 PM »

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
Re: Shooting Cooking Videos: How to clean and protect lenses?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 04:48:54 PM »
Just a guess here, but I suspect that either a clear piece of glass is put between the camera and the "gunk" or a mirror is used.
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

KyleSTL

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 05:08:23 PM »
I will preface my posting by saying I have never filmed any cooking.

Just some random thoughts:
- Use sealed L lenses (will help prevent ingress of steam, which could lead to fungus and other damage)
- Get an EF 100mm L Macro IS or EF 180mm Macro (for their long MFDs for closeup shots and awesome H-IS system - in the case of the 100mm)
- Always use UV filters
- Get LensCoats for any lenses you use, to help keep the body of the lens clean (and provide one more barrier)
Canon EOS 5D | Tamron 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 | 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM
15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 28mm f/1.8 USM | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 3x 420EX | ST-E2 | Canon S90 | SD600 w/ WP-DC4

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 05:20:57 PM »
- Always use UV filters
- Get LensCoats for any lenses you use, to help keep the body of the lens clean (and provide one more barrier)
In fact, I'd get multiple UV filters so you can swap them in and out...use them like a sports videographer would use a piece of glass for a mud or water-spraying shot.

Another thought, get a rain cover for the camera. There are a bunch of cheap options I've looked at on Amazon (though be hesitant with cheap, thin plastic if it could be exposed to high temperatures), but that would act as a buffer to keep that stuff off your lens and body. Its the same principle.

I agree with the sentiment about the macro lenses, and honestly, anything with more range would probably be helpful. The further you can place the camera from the pan, the better

keithfullermusic

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • k2focus.com
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 05:49:01 PM »
Last Christmas I installed magic lantern on my 50D to try out some video, and I actually filmed my grandmother making dinner.  One thing that I did was stand further back and use zoom lenses to get the food in the frying pan.  I would think the best way to get food off the camera is to stand back so you don't get any food on the camera.
5Diii - 50D - 100mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/2.8, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430 EX II, YN560
---
Pics - http://k2focus.com | Tunes - http://keithfullermusic.com | For Fun - http://thewalkingdeadrumors.com

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 06:40:10 PM »
If anything is getting on your lens, its too close.  Backoff and use a longer focal length.  15 or more feet away should be fine.

DB

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 07:10:19 PM »
I would use the Hoya HD clear filters - are very very strong.....and I would seriously consider wrapping the camera body & part of the lens in soft plastic (Cling Film or Saran Wrap if you live in USA), that way you can still press all the buttons and then remove the wrap after each shot....just a suggestion.

Does weather-shielding include pasta sauce?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 07:10:19 PM »

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 11:41:39 PM »
I would use the Hoya HD clear filters - are very very strong.....and I would seriously consider wrapping the camera body & part of the lens in soft plastic (Cling Film or Saran Wrap if you live in USA), that way you can still press all the buttons and then remove the wrap after each shot....just a suggestion.

Does weather-shielding include pasta sauce?

Ok....I just got a couple Hoya UV filters on the way.....but how is the best way to clean them...and how is the best way to clean the canon lenses themselves?

What do you use? What cloth? What cleaner?

C

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 02:55:38 AM »
alcohol wipes work really well like the single use glasses lens cleaners that come in a little packet you rip open
these clean the body up pretty well too.
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 02:55:38 AM »