August 28, 2014, 05:27:34 AM

Author Topic: DPReview 5D3 review out  (Read 12406 times)

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
Re: DPReview 5D3 review out
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2012, 12:38:29 PM »
Its interesting that when doing a direct comparison to the 7D the metering and focusing accuracy and the ergonomics and handling are rated much higher than the 5D3. When the 5D3 is very similar in handling if not I would say better, and with the better metering I would say the 5D is better there too.

More reason to think that things are is slipping.

I tried comparing it to the T3i and found the T3i won in several areas... I don't think that is the case. If so then the 5D3 is grossly overpriced.

Kev

And that is probably my only gripe with the 5D3.... it IS overpriced and Nikon showed it to them.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

psolberg

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2012, 07:45:26 AM »
DP review summary score graph (bottom of conclusions page):

Build Quality -Tie
Ergonomics - Tie
Features - 5DmkIII win
Metering/Focus System - Tie
Image Quality (raw) - D800 win
Image Quality (jpg) - D800 win
Low light/high ISO performance - D800 win
Viewfinder/Screen -Tie
Performance - 5DmkIII win
Movie/Video - D800 win
Value - D800 win.

D800 total wins: 5
5DmkIII wins: 2

I personally don't care how many points each camera gets. However, reviews should be fair and honest.

I believe the 5d3 has a much better screen - even Nikon people say that. High ISO is also better on the 5d3. Video (when tested by proper videographers) is a win for 5d3. Most seem to say that the ergonomics (ie. how the body feels in the hand) is better on the 5d3 too. In fact one Nikon guy I know said he'd take his d3x to a wedding next time as it made his hand ache.

I don't have an issue with any of the other points.

In the end, we all know the capabilities of both cameras inside and out now.

for a video review by videographers, go to Phillip Bloom's site.

http://philipbloom.net/2012/05/13/fullframeshootout/

he fairly exposes the flaws on the 5DIII and why it isn't the best video dslr because of its soft output. Likewises he looks into the D800 and concludes it does a lot of things better but also has a few flaws. Yes the 5DIII is better for low light, but to put a blanket statment that it is better all the time would ignore that the D800 edgest it out on detail and uncompressed footage option.

there is not such thing as a "win" for either camera. it is just a question of what matters to you. If you shoot motion, nature, details, the D800 is the way to go. If you shoot a lot of dark footage, 5DIII will be better suited. As Bloom concludes, neither camera scores a win overall  ;D and yes he is a videographer, and a canon videographer so he should know right  8)

lastly "some say" doesn't mean anything useful. Having actually used a D800, I guess I'll be part of the "some" that say it feels great, as good as the 5DIII. So there, "some recenly switched to nikon guy" just contradicted "some other nikon guy with a D3x"  8) That's the problem with obscure anecdotal evidence of "some guy" who is a "friend of a friend that knows some guy that told him".

Don't put weight on such silly comments. They are best taken as noise.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 07:47:41 AM by psolberg »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2012, 08:01:06 AM »
In a sign of their political awareness, the 5D3 scored the same (82%) as the D800.

:-) I guess they were concerned about either group ddos'ing their website or lynch the pets of the reviewers.

I don't think boiling down the differences to simple "wins" is adequate, but reduces complexity too much in contrast to "usage scenarios". But this and the final scores at least point in the direction I hope Canon will accept sooner or later: Pricing the 5d3 as it is and esp. in contrast to the d800 was too greedy.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2012, 10:36:26 AM »
But this and the final scores at least point in the direction I hope Canon will accept sooner or later: Pricing the 5d3 as it is and esp. in contrast to the d800 was too greedy.

Asians being greedy with money???  I thought that was an american trait... oh nevermind   ;) ;)
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2012, 11:34:00 AM »
Asians being greedy with money???  I thought that was an american trait... oh nevermind   ;) ;)

"Learn from the winners" :-) ... oh, the Americans aren't winning :-p ... but so aren't the Europeans or Germans, I only see Japanese dlsrs around.

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2012, 11:37:44 AM »

"Learn from the winners" :-) ... oh, the Americans aren't winning :-p

Ahem, Americans are beating everyone in the obesity department :o

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2012, 11:40:15 AM »

"Learn from the winners" :-) ... oh, the Americans aren't winning :-p

Ahem, Americans are beating everyone in the obesity department :o

We're #1, We're #1 haha
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

AAPhotog

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2012, 07:18:14 PM »

Build Quality -Tie
Ergonomics - Tie
Features - 5DmkIII win
Metering/Focus System - Tie
Image Quality (raw) - D800 win
Image Quality (jpg) - D800 win
Low light/high ISO performance - D800 win
Viewfinder/Screen -Tie
Performance - 5DmkIII win
Movie/Video - D800 win
Value - D800 win.

I personally don't care how many points each camera gets. However, reviews should be fair and honest.

I believe the 5d3 has a much better screen - even Nikon people say that. High ISO is also better on the 5d3. Video (when tested by proper videographers) is a win for 5d3. Most seem to say that the ergonomics (ie. how the body feels in the hand) is better on the 5d3 too. In fact one Nikon guy I know said he'd take his d3x to a wedding next time as it made his hand ache.

I don't have an issue with any of the other points.

In the end, we all know the capabilities of both cameras inside and out now.

he fairly exposes the flaws on the 5DIII and why it isn't the best video dslr because of its soft output. Likewises he looks into the D800 and concludes it does a lot of things better but also has a few flaws. Yes the 5DIII is better for low light, but to put a blanket statment that it is better all the time would ignore that the D800 edgest it out on detail and uncompressed footage option.

there is not such thing as a "win" for either camera. it is just a question of what matters to you. If you shoot motion, nature, details, the D800 is the way to go. If you shoot a lot of dark footage, 5DIII will be better suited. As Bloom concludes, neither camera scores a win overall  ;D and yes he is a videographer, and a canon videographer so he should know right  8)

lastly "some say" doesn't mean anything useful. Having actually used a D800, I guess I'll be part of the "some" that say it feels great, as good as the 5DIII. So there, "some recenly switched to nikon guy" just contradicted "some other nikon guy with a D3x"  8) That's the problem with obscure anecdotal evidence of "some guy" who is a "friend of a friend that knows some guy that told him".

Yes, Bloom said it was soft in camera. but he also said in more than one place that the footage is EXCELLENT when sharpening in post!

For a video review between the two
Canon 5D Mark III vs Nikon D800 Part 3 with Chad Tweten
iPhone 4s camera

FrutigerSans

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2012, 08:31:20 PM »

you’re leaving out a lot of his opinions in your summary.

Like the ‘unusable’ (his words) level of moire in the D800 images - the fact that he had to stick in a custom, 3rd party AA filter into the D800 speaks volumes of just how bad it is. Or the fact that the D4 only has good output in 2.7x and not the usable FX and DX modes.

Or the fact that he’s also completely enamoured with the 5D3’s output AFTER its’ been sharpened in post. Anyone who has actually seen the video would see he the 5D3 files a lot for the mileage in post it gives him - sharpening without return artefacts or moire.

If you’re out to inform people, the least you could do is give a completely summary - an incomplete one is probably as devastating as those comments you classify as noise.

Invertalon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2012, 09:20:04 PM »
I took some video in faithful with 0 sharpening at all. The video is soft, but as stated above, sharpens well. Once I added sharpening, it looked really good. 

MazV-L

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2012, 10:09:27 PM »
I'm unlikely to use the video features on my 5Diii, however was interested to note that the Canon 5D iii took out the 2012 TIPA Award for Best Video D-slr :)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2012, 10:57:54 PM »
I have the D800 and have returned my 5D MK III after a month (I bought a 1D MK IV). 

The DPR review is pretty accurate based on my experience.  Each camera takes excellent images, and has its strong points as well as weak ones.  I'd grade them as being equal myself, but one camera might be better at certain things.  One thing for sure, computer makers and SSD makers will benefit from owners frustrated with the time to process the huge files.  I like the D800's extra features like the built-in AF-Assist light, but the menu system is horrible. It seems like there is a button for everything, but trying to find them in the dark is bad news. The other bad thing about the D800, and DPR mentioned it, perhaps not strongly enough, and that is the need to use the very best glass, and the utmost care in setting up your shot.  Otherwise, your images will be no sharper than the 5D MK III.  It makes good lenses look bad, so plan to buy only the top lenses and spend $$$$$!

I may very well sell the D800 and get another 5D MK II to go with my 1D MK IV.

briansquibb

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2012, 01:23:44 AM »
I have the D800 and have returned my 5D MK III after a month (I bought a 1D MK IV). 

The DPR review is pretty accurate based on my experience.  Each camera takes excellent images, and has its strong points as well as weak ones.  I'd grade them as being equal myself, but one camera might be better at certain things.  One thing for sure, computer makers and SSD makers will benefit from owners frustrated with the time to process the huge files.  I like the D800's extra features like the built-in AF-Assist light, but the menu system is horrible. It seems like there is a button for everything, but trying to find them in the dark is bad news. The other bad thing about the D800, and DPR mentioned it, perhaps not strongly enough, and that is the need to use the very best glass, and the utmost care in setting up your shot.  Otherwise, your images will be no sharper than the 5D MK III.  It makes good lenses look bad, so plan to buy only the top lenses and spend $$$$$!

Are you enjoying the 1D4 then?

Dianoda

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2012, 03:16:24 AM »
I find it weird that when using the camera comparison, the 5d mkII is rated way better in video mode than the mkIII.  I was under the impression that the mkIII is a step up in every way from the mkII in video. They also gave the mkII the nod for raw and jpeg image quality, as well as the exact same scores for build and handling, which contradicts their own review.  Seems weird to me.

DPR Review ratings are based against current peers (at time of review), so the 5DII review should be looked at in a time bubble of sorts - it's relevant compared to the D700, not so much compared to anything current.
Current Kit: Some cameras and a bunch of lenses, maybe even a tripod or two

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2012, 03:31:41 PM »

Are you enjoying the 1D4 then?

Yes, its a great camera, the best I've owned for my usage.  Obviously, MF was better for portraits, and the D800 is also excellent, but you must be deliberate and careful, and use the best of the best glass.  I can definitely see the better resolution in D800 images, but I rarely need that level.   I did need to crop severely at a recent event, where the only Nikkon lens I thought was usable was my 24-70mm f/2.8G, and it wasn't long enough.  The cropping ability can be useful.

Here is a 1D MK IV image at ISO 12800

And one at 12800 with the D800.  Both require a lot of NR, but will print fine at reasonable sizes.