August 21, 2014, 08:57:57 PM

Author Topic: Question: 5D3 auto-switching memory cards when removed  (Read 675 times)

myocyte

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Question: 5D3 auto-switching memory cards when removed
« on: May 23, 2012, 07:18:49 PM »
I have a general question. I looked in the instruction manual and just couldn't find the answer readily, so I figured I'd ask the larger group. I just got my 5d3, and I keep both a CF and a SD card in the memory slots. I record my files solely to the CF card. Whenever I take the CF card out to copy the files to my computer (camera is powered off) and then return the CF card back to the camera, the camera automatically switches to the SD card when I power it back on, even though I want to continue recording to the CF. It's a minor step to get the camera to revert back to the CF card, but it's still an inconvenience. Does anyone know how to prevent the auto-switching?
5DIII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 50 f/1.2L | 85 f/1.2L | 70-200 f/2.8L II

canon rumors FORUM

Question: 5D3 auto-switching memory cards when removed
« on: May 23, 2012, 07:18:49 PM »

JerryKnight

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Question: 5D3 auto-switching memory cards when removed
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 10:18:13 PM »
I've notice this as well, but from what I've heard, this is how all dual-card cameras have worked (ie. 1D-series), so I guess those of us who are new to dual-cards have to get used to this behavior. I assume that in most of the recording modes, if the camera ever "sees" the CF card is missing, it automatically switches to the SD card.

What my rule has become is to not close the memory card door without a CF card inserted (during a shoot at least) so that the camera never knows the CF is missing. I've never had it switch to the SD card when I stick to this rule.

(Note: I use the SD card as a separate JPEG backup, and I don't want it to switch automatically to the SD card for playback. I want to be able to quickly verify that I've inserted a blank CF card.)

digitalninja

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 10:20:10 PM »
This gets me as well. I start shooting and realize I'm shooting to the SD instead.  :(

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 10:20:10 PM »