November 23, 2014, 05:33:53 PM

Author Topic: Canon are you listening...?? NIKON D600  (Read 67688 times)

briansquibb

Re: Canon are you listening...?? NIKON D600
« Reply #285 on: July 06, 2012, 11:38:34 AM »
When did the 5D become the 5Dc?  Can a six year old dslr be a 'classic'?

hmmm.

Even as a firm canon user, I always thought the Dx00's were more like where the film EOS 3 sat... I know it's apples and pears as even the rebels have usually been more comparable to Elans, but bear with me... until the 5D...c... there wasn't really a direct competitor, and even then it was a different segment camera.

Just an opinion.  If I'm wrong it won't be for first or last time.

D60 was the camera the D100 couldn't match

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #285 on: July 06, 2012, 11:38:34 AM »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #286 on: July 06, 2012, 11:43:45 AM »
The d100 just felt better in the hand though.  I think it had better AF too.  Anyway, I've enough conflict on my hands defending video...  let's not go there.

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 06, 2012, 12:17:20 PM »
The d100 just felt better in the hand though.  I think it had better AF too.  Anyway, I've enough conflict on my hands defending video...  let's not go there.

Video for pro-togs. Yes, ok ... wedding, events, news ... BUT: one would think, the video capabilities in 1D X and 5D 3 should be plenty.

What really puzzles me is the 1D C!  Hi-end "4k cine cam" ... in the form factor of a DSLR and burdened down with all the video-unfriendly stills-imaging stuff (Mirrorbox, mirror, prism, OVF). WHY not as top-level C6900, or C700 or whatever number ... but in a camcorder form factor and in the C-line? Of course with optional EF-mount - I see no problem with that one. I cannot imagine users of 1D C to capture many stills shots .. other than possibly some "making-of" pics behind on the set ... just for kicks. But for that a rebel or P&S would do as well.

To me Canon looks hell-bent to just produce the broadest and most confusing smattering of HD/2k/4k Video- DSLRs and C-### videocams in parallel. There is a tremendous amount of redundancy going on in those product lines.

I don't believe even Chuck Westfall himself could clearly state, who should use a 1D C, a 1D X, a 5D 3,  a C500 or a C300. It is just a plethora of video cams, with stills not much more than an afterthought.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #288 on: July 06, 2012, 12:34:09 PM »
They do seem to have abandoned the XL format as well..  shame theres no servo zoom EF lenses (asides from 35-80 PZ, obviously)

An XL shaped body, EF mount... 

The c300 and c500 are clearly video dedicated, I wouldn't expect to see a stills shooter spending much time on a c300 or c500.

But then Canon probably didn't foresee feature films being shot on a 5D2 or 7D.

Plenty of choice.  At plenty of prices.  A good thing I think.  1D users buying will be buying for stills with video.  I can't really imagine anybody buying purely for video buying any DSLR above the 5D3.

I had an HD 1080 camera five years before I had a HD telly, and five years before anybody asked me if I could deliver on HD.   Maybe theres a stills analogy in there for 4K?

I've always said if they can make a stonking 22MP sensor then why can't they make an exceptionally stonking 8 or 10MP?

I only buy and use the stuff.  And a 1D is not on my map.

briansquibb

« Reply #289 on: July 06, 2012, 12:38:01 PM »

The D60 feels like all xxD's and it has similar controls.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #290 on: July 06, 2012, 01:03:59 PM »

hmmm.

Even as a firm canon user, I always thought the Dx00's were more like where the film EOS 3 sat... I know it's apples and pears as even the rebels have usually been more comparable to Elans, but bear with me... until the 5D...c... there wasn't really a direct competitor, and even then it was a different segment camera.

It became a classic when it capture the photographic communitys heart by offering something that was once previously un-attainable in digital. Affordable FF and I like the name befitting such a solid camera. 8)

briansquibb

« Reply #291 on: July 06, 2012, 01:21:52 PM »

hmmm.

It became a classic when it capture the photographic communitys heart by offering something that was once previously un-attainable in digital. Affordable FF and I like the name befitting such a solid camera. 8)

Just for the record the 5D came out in 2005 - so 7 years old.  That and the 1DS2 of 2004 were cameras that confirmed Canon as the major player in DSLR

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #291 on: July 06, 2012, 01:21:52 PM »

markd61

« Reply #292 on: July 06, 2012, 01:34:16 PM »
i want this .. i want such a canon camera!!

You will only complain once it comes that it should be cheaper, should be weatherproof,should have no AA filter, should have a titanium body, shoot 12 fps, 4K video, and satellite uplink. And all that after only reading the published specs.

There is no end to gear lust. and the complaining that goes with it.

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #293 on: July 06, 2012, 02:19:20 PM »
i want this .. i want such a canon camera!!

You will only complain once it comes that it should be cheaper, should be weatherproof,should have no AA filter, should have a titanium body, shoot 12 fps, 4K video, and satellite uplink. And all that after only reading the published specs.

There is no end to gear lust. and the complaining that goes with it.

Shame on you, markd61 for posting a comment that actually has to do with the subject of this thread!
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

paul13walnut5

« Reply #294 on: July 06, 2012, 02:58:54 PM »
@briansquibb

The D60 feels a bit like a 60D, but actually feels more like a rebel, and felt exactly like the Elan 7.

Cheap.

The 10D-50D had magnesium bodies and actually felt a lot better.

Which AF point would you like on your D60?  The Left, the Right or shall we split the difference?

The D60 is a benchmark only of where canon were at the time.  Which wasn't very far. 

briansquibb

« Reply #295 on: July 06, 2012, 04:56:51 PM »
@briansquibb

The D60 feels a bit like a 60D, but actually feels more like a rebel, and felt exactly like the Elan 7.

Cheap.

The 10D-50D had magnesium bodies and actually felt a lot better.

Which AF point would you like on your D60?  The Left, the Right or shall we split the difference?

The D60 is a benchmark only of where canon were at the time.  Which wasn't very far.

Everyone to their own. For 2002 it was the best around - at the low end. The real bonus is that it has a full sized body rather than a Rebel sized. D60 had a metal shell - so not like the polycarbonate 60D

3 good AF points are adequate - 5D owners survived a long time on just the central point - and has bright red AF points in the viewfinder.

Would you like to comment on the 10D and 1DS2 that came shortly afterwards?

« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 05:11:38 PM by briansquibb »

briansquibb

« Reply #296 on: July 06, 2012, 04:59:35 PM »
Personally I think Canon have something up their sleeve - they are not going to let Nikon take the market away from them. Trouble is that it takes time to respond.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #297 on: July 06, 2012, 05:05:54 PM »
Trouble is that it takes time to respond.

The Canon rumors crew and loyal customers should sign a petition for Nikon to stop all r&d for 1 or 2 years to let Canon catch up - borrowing Sony tech ain't fair :-)

Actually, I hope Canon wont have to "respond" at all because they were putting new products in the pipeline before Nikon released the d800. If Canon is too passive, they're going to have a tough time.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #297 on: July 06, 2012, 05:05:54 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #298 on: July 06, 2012, 05:14:19 PM »
Trouble is that it takes time to respond.

The Canon rumors crew and loyal customers should sign a petition for Nikon to stop all r&d for 1 or 2 years to let Canon catch up - borrowing Sony tech ain't fair :-)

Actually, I hope Canon wont have to "respond" at all because they were putting new products in the pipeline before Nikon released the d800. If Canon is too passive, they're going to have a tough time.

I suspect this is something for Photokina

For the record when the D60 was released Nikon were caught out - and they were more expensive

See here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneosd60/4

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #299 on: July 06, 2012, 05:27:53 PM »
For the record when the D60 was released Nikon were caught out - and they were more expensive

Those were the times - dpreview states the d60 has "Excellent resolution, lives up to the six megapixel label" and "Noise very low all the way up to ISO 400" :-)  ... but then again in 2022 everybody will smile at the puny 5d2/5d3 sensor, too.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #299 on: July 06, 2012, 05:27:53 PM »