August 23, 2014, 09:57:15 AM

Author Topic: Canon are you listening...?? NIKON D600  (Read 63887 times)

Orangutan

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Canon are you listening...?? NIKON D600
« Reply #255 on: June 20, 2012, 12:50:16 AM »
* It is evident that Canon...

Most important, though, it is evident that Canon still makes a healthy profit from its camera sales.  There is no evidents....er um, evidence, that Canon is incapable of matching Nikon's sensor tech, only that they have not chosen to do so already because the market hasn't demanded it.  Likewise, Nikon seems to be behind on AF right now.  I'm no fanboi; if I were starting over I'd be as likely to buy Nikon as Canon, but I continue to be amazed at how many people pass judgement on for-profit corporations as though they were impolite relatives (can you believe cousin Josephine said that?!!!) 

In case you weren't aware, for-profit corporations have done deeds far more more heinous than charging a bit too much for their product, or compromising performance in one area in favor of performance in another.

To all you complainers, whether you complain of Canon or Nikon or anything else, if you're going to blame anyone you should blame the purchasers who buy the over-priced, under-performing products.  If you want Canon to put better sensors in their products, and if you want Nikon to implement better speed and ergonomics, then you need to get a bunch of people to refrain from purchasing the current models, or to buy Pentax.

Unless we believe there is collusion going on, it's 100% in the hands of the consumers.  Y'all need to stop getting out of joint over it.  Buy it or don't buy it -- it's your call.  It's also OK to post calm, rational evaluations of the positives and negatives from your photographic perspective.  (Sorry, I should say, from your photographic tilt or shift, but I digress...)  However, to be upset with a camera company when there are evil energy companies out there?   The mind wobbles!

birdman

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 20, 2012, 12:53:55 AM »
Precisely. If Canon loses market share because of the D600 and D800, it will force Canon to up their game

well, if you consider how dominant canon was just 10 years ago, and how that dominance has waned over the last decade, then you can see that it has already happened. They went from being virtually unchallenged, to being just one more player, alas a major one, but certainly fallen from their prior mile high advantage.

Look at Microsoft. Once unchallenged and now it is being outmaneuvered by once smaller meaningless rivals. With size and a market to protect, companies often fall behind. They are too big and slow to react. Canon, and to a lesser extent Nikon suffer from their reliance on mirrors and outdated mounts that make it impossible to design small thin cameras consumers want. They have models to protect where as the rest have nothing to lose. The rest of the crowd, lead by sony has no such concerns are are busy with their mirrorless entries which will one day make DSRLS join film cameras in a musseum.

We've seen this transition before. Kodak failed to adapt and died off.

Whats with all this mirrorless garbage, people? I hope you "people" don't want a camera body without a viewfinder, like the mirrorless 4/3 garbage cameras out now have, right? You want to take a picture by looking at the back of your small monitor? Thats going to dominate? Really? And we thought the Unabomber was a nut with all of his anti=tech mumbo jumbo!! SLRs are not going anywhere for a while, buddy. What are sports shooters going to use.? A small box with a bright screen and a huge telephoto lens that makes it look like a whale eating a tadpole. People these days.....
5d2; 17-40L; 35L; 50/1.8 Mk. 1; 70-300 IS; 100mm/2.8

birdman

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 20, 2012, 01:06:48 AM »
Here is the future, guys. All teenagers, soccer moms, and adventurous grandparents are gonna take over the industry of photography with their mirrorless cameras. And the old professionals and prosumers, well they will be left behind with their 22MP and 36MP full-frame antiquated DSLRs. How 2012 is that? Or as Bruno would say, "Borat was so 2006."

briansquibb

« Reply #258 on: June 20, 2012, 01:16:21 AM »
Here is the future, guys. All teenagers, soccer moms, and adventurous grandparents are gonna take over the industry of photography with their mirrorless cameras. And the old professionals and prosumers, well they will be left behind with their 22MP and 36MP full-frame antiquated DSLRs. How 2012 is that? Or as Bruno would say, "Borat was so 2006."

Great sense of humour there  ;D ;D ;D

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 20, 2012, 03:42:42 AM »

This is exactly how it will go.
Teenagers, soccer moms and adventurous grandparents are the most important segment in the market, the one providing the biggest slice of incomes. The ugly truth is that big companies would sooner lose all their respectable pros than all their despicable consumers. Just face it. Who else would seriously benefit from a small sensor mirrorless camera if not they?
Consumers, in my experience, hate the bulk of a reflex camera. These people usually take pictures with a P&S or even with their cell phones, they buy a reflex only when they're compelled. And this is exactly the kind of people Canon, Nikon, Samsung, Panasonic, Sony and everyone else is striving to please.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #260 on: June 20, 2012, 03:51:24 AM »
To all you complainers, whether you complain of Canon or Nikon or anything else, if you're going to blame anyone you should blame the purchasers who buy the over-priced, under-performing products.  If you want Canon to put better sensors in their products, and if you want Nikon to implement better speed and ergonomics, then you need to get a bunch of people to refrain from purchasing the current models, or to buy Pentax.

This is the problem in a market with limited competition due to brand loyalty and people being stuck to their equipment proprietary lens & flash systems. Many will bite the bullet and say "In comparison to my lenses and other equipment $1000 more for the 5d3 isn't that much, I'll pay it and forget the price as fast as I can". If the 5d2 wasn't around anymore maybe I'd do the same.

About "complaining": Maybe people with 1 post saying "I'll get a d800 instead of the 5d3, hahaha" are complaining or trolling. But there is a difference between this and pointing out perceived problems and wanting to discuss with people about this to see if one's opinion makes sense - and I certainly build my opinion about the 5d3's strengths and weaknesses reading threads like this because reviews don't tell the whole story.

Whats with all this mirrorless garbage, people?

It's *currently* garbage. In 10 years from now (or more?), you'll have an electronic viewfinder you can hardly tell from an optical one, the shutter sound and speed limitations will be gone, and the af system except for the very pro top will be ok. And you'll have features only an efv can deliver: "I want to track the red bird, please", focus peaking right and so on in the viewfinder, night-time shooting through the viewfinder, ... there are many possibilities many people would throw away their 1dx this second - if they'd have gotten it yet :->

Orangutan

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 20, 2012, 09:18:48 AM »
you should blame the purchasers who buy the over-priced, under-performing products.  If you want Canon to put better sensors in their products, and if you want Nikon to implement better speed and ergonomics, then you need to get a bunch of people to refrain from purchasing the current models, or to buy Pentax.

This is the problem in a market with limited competition due to brand loyalty and people being stuck to their equipment proprietary lens & flash systems. Many will bite the bullet and say "In comparison to my lenses and other equipment $1000 more for the 5d3 isn't that much, I'll pay it and forget the price as fast as I can". If the 5d2 wasn't around anymore maybe I'd do the same.

I think we need an equivalent of the Four Thirds standard for APS-C, FF, MF, etc to create compatibility among components of different manufacturers.  If there is an international organization of pro photographers, maybe they should lobby the larger "camera countries" (e.g. Japan, U.S., EU) to put that into law.  Yes, it would obsolete older or now-current models, but we need to think medium/long term.  Of course, they could do a booming business retro-fitting older glass to the new standard. ("Legs off, fins on, stick a little pipe through the back of its neck so it can breathe, bit of gold paint...")

Then we'd get some real competition among the big players, and it would lower the "barrier to entry" for smaller players.

Marsu42

• ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #262 on: June 20, 2012, 09:56:35 AM »
Then we'd get some real competition among the big players, and it would lower the "barrier to entry" for smaller players.

The EU nearly couldn't agree on a standard power supply for mobile phones, and even that took ages. Considering that the lens-camera combination (physical and protocols) are a major competition factor, I don't think there's any chance for forced standardization - but it would be nice all the same.

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 20, 2012, 06:42:22 PM »

The EU nearly couldn't agree on a standard power supply for mobile phones, and even that took ages. Considering that the lens-camera combination (physical and protocols) are a major competition factor, I don't think there's any chance for forced standardization - but it would be nice all the same.

Ha the EU cant even pay their own credit card bill...

I think anyone that WANTS any government to interfere in MORE stuff than they already do
needs therapy

cop pulls you over, "I'm sorry sir but i noticed your canon sensor doesnt have enough dynamic range
I'm afraid I'm going to have to fine you, that'll be $100 thankyou"

Ahhh living in fascist dictatorships dressed up as democracy :P

discalaimer: this is a heavily sarcastic post for anyone that cant recognise that from the  :P on the end
APS-H Fanboy

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #264 on: June 20, 2012, 10:18:18 PM »

I think anyone that WANTS any government to interfere in MORE stuff than they already do
needs therapy

And I thought Americans were the only ones that spewed crazy talk like that ;D Do you by chance get Fox News is Australia ;D?

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 20, 2012, 10:24:17 PM »

needs therapy

And I thought Americans were the only ones that spewed crazy talk like that ;D Do you by chance get Fox News is Australia ;D?

:D yeah but you gotta pay extra for that :P and because of the high cost of the 5Dmk3 I cant afford it :P
APS-H Fanboy

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #266 on: June 20, 2012, 10:48:02 PM »
:D yeah but you gotta pay extra for that :P and because of the high cost of the 5Dmk3 I cant afford it :P

That's a shame. Fox News has some really hot blonde anchors.

No wonder Fox has the highest ratings amongst all the cable news networks.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 10:50:06 PM by V8Beast »

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #267 on: June 21, 2012, 05:41:34 PM »

That's a shame. Fox News has some really hot blonde anchors.

No wonder Fox has the highest ratings amongst all the cable news networks.
Is that really one brain I mean person? :P
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

psolberg

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 21, 2012, 06:18:51 PM »
wow, from the D600 to the fox babes. If a Nikon manager is watching this, he must me laughing his pants off.

birdman

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 21, 2012, 06:35:01 PM »
wow, from the D600 to the fox babes. If a Nikon manager is watching this, he must me laughing his pants off.

Make that Fox(y) babes, sir. Thanks  ;D