September 30, 2014, 08:29:52 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III & 1D X Black Focus Point in AI Servo Information  (Read 24759 times)

UngerPhotography

Re: 5D Mark III & 1D X Black Focus Point in AI Servo Information
« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2012, 01:29:37 PM »
I honestly don't even think I noticed that they weren't red until I heard other people complaining about it.  I usually only used the center point with the 5DII so whether or not it was red was irrelevant.  But with the 5DIII the autofocus is amazingly accurate, I don't need a red confirmation of how accurate it is.  But I guess for some it's important, but it seems like some people are just using it as an excuse to bitch about the 5DIII.

I just recently added a 7D to go along with my 5D II, and didn't notice the lack of blinking red in AI Servo mode until I read about it in the manual. For what I shoot, it doesn't bother me.

That said, there are people who like the blinking red and are used to it. It also seems strange that it is not an option. I do think people are overreacting about selling the camera off or switching brands because of it, but I suppose that it one way to get Canon to pay attention.

Strange though that there was no out roar about it in the 7D, and professionals were certainly using it. I have seen more than a handful of Getty photographers at various sports games using the 7D.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2012, 01:29:37 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2012, 05:50:20 PM »
I honestly don't even think I noticed that they weren't red until I heard other people complaining about it.  I usually only used the center point with the 5DII so whether or not it was red was irrelevant.  But with the 5DIII the autofocus is amazingly accurate, I don't need a red confirmation of how accurate it is.  But I guess for some it's important, but it seems like some people are just using it as an excuse to bitch about the 5DIII.

I just recently added a 7D to go along with my 5D II, and didn't notice the lack of blinking red in AI Servo mode until I read about it in the manual. For what I shoot, it doesn't bother me.

That said, there are people who like the blinking red and are used to it. It also seems strange that it is not an option. I do think people are overreacting about selling the camera off or switching brands because of it, but I suppose that it one way to get Canon to pay attention.

Strange though that there was no out roar about it in the 7D, and professionals were certainly using it. I have seen more than a handful of Getty photographers at various sports games using the 7D.

+1

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2012, 12:10:42 AM »

Have you actually compared a 7D with a 5D MK III?  I have!  They are not the same.  The 7D lights up nicely in one shot mode for about 2 seconds, you can see the selected AF point clearly.

The 5D MK III, on the other hand, has 61 tiny  AF points that are difficult to see, and the light flickers for maybe 1/10 sec, you don't have time to make sure your subject is under the tiny point, and, in low light, thats the only chance you get.

Those who have not used both seem to have lots of expert opinions!

briansquibb

« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2012, 01:24:52 AM »

Have you actually compared a 7D with a 5D MK III?  I have!  They are not the same.  The 7D lights up nicely in one shot mode for about 2 seconds, you can see the selected AF point clearly.

The 5D MK III, on the other hand, has 61 tiny  AF points that are difficult to see, and the light flickers for maybe 1/10 sec, you don't have time to make sure your subject is under the tiny point, and, in low light, thats the only chance you get.

Those who have not used both seem to have lots of expert opinions!

The 5DIII I borrow uses expansion so you get the cluster of points

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2012, 01:31:52 AM »

Thats because it is a sports camera, a wedding photographer shoots at night too and needs the focus point illumination. I still like my 1d focus point lighting up for sports because i sometimes do go off center.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 01:33:46 AM by Bosman »
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

briansquibb

« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2012, 01:34:26 AM »

Thats because it is a sports camera, a wedding photographers shoots at night too and need the focus point illumination.

It is a shame when the 5DII is still best in class for low light shooting

MazV-L

« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2012, 02:31:05 AM »
Sorry if this has been covered, I haven't read all the posts. I use the joystick to select the AF point on my 5Diii, then if I want the point I've selected to light-up red I only have to half press the shutter.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2012, 02:31:05 AM »

risc32

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2012, 12:28:49 PM »
I'm with the people who wish the AF points where easier to find in low light conditions. A thought, if the black af points where getting it done, then why let us use red ones on image review on the lcd? perhaps those should be black as well. :P my other canon cameras use some variation of red points. The 5dmk3 is the first camera i've used that is good enough to very reliably use AF points other than the center. And that's great, as often i don't want to slap the target dead center. that meant cropping. So now it's great, I have 22mp and i get to use more of them.

bloodstupid

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2012, 03:17:44 AM »
The light doenst need to be on all the time. Just a short flash upon AF-start..as it was with the 5D. And light metering can happen before and after the short AF point flash.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2012, 04:35:59 AM »
The light doesn't need to be on all the time. Just a short flash upon AF-start..as it was with the 5D. And light metering can happen before and after the short AF point flash.
I don't know if you shoot fast action sports but it's valuable and highly productive to have the red AF point stay illuminated on as it does on the 1D4 when shooting AI Servo with a single selected focus point or cluster. You simply have to keep sight of your selected point and keep it on the part of the action you're tracking. It all happens blindingly fast. By the time you re-activate a disappearing focus point the touchdown or goal has happened, the hurdles race has flashed past you, the race car has vanished...you get the idea? Constantly visible AF points are one of an action shooters prime productivity tools.

PW

bloodstupid

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2012, 04:52:27 AM »
Ya well i never worked with a 1 series so i dont know about that much comfort. But if the illumination is affecting light metering i would be happy enough to have that short AF point flash as soon as i hit the AF button. Just as it was with the MII. But having nothing at all sucks just as having to push the AF selector button as a workaround before pressing the focus button.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 04:54:42 AM by bloodstupid »

Tcapp

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Capp Photography
« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2012, 05:09:36 AM »
The light doesn't need to be on all the time. Just a short flash upon AF-start..as it was with the 5D. And light metering can happen before and after the short AF point flash.
I don't know if you shoot fast action sports but it's valuable and highly productive to have the red AF point stay illuminated on as it does on the 1D4 when shooting AI Servo with a single selected focus point or cluster. You simply have to keep sight of your selected point and keep it on the part of the action you're tracking. It all happens blindingly fast. By the time you re-activate a disappearing focus point the touchdown or goal has happened, the hurdles race has flashed past you, the race car has vanished...you get the idea? Constantly visible AF points are one of an action shooters prime productivity tools.

PW

Action shooter AND wedding shooters alike!
5DIII, 5DII, 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 2x TC III, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 100 Macro 2.8, 24 1.4 L
http://www.TimothyCapp.com
Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timothy-Capp-Photography/94664798952

Cyrano

« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2012, 02:48:15 AM »
... You simply have to keep sight of your selected point and keep it on the part of the action you're tracking. It all happens blindingly fast. By the time you re-activate a disappearing focus point the touchdown or goal has happened, the hurdles race has flashed past you, the race car has vanished...

I can't imagine how it will be possible to shoot ballet without having the selected AF point always visible:

• The position of the subject relative to the frame changes constantly, and in the blink of an eye.

• Using automatic AF point selection is not an option. For my shooting conditions, DOF is so shallow that if the AF locks on the male dancer standing immediately behind the woman he is partnering, instead of on the woman, the shot is ruined. Even if the intended subject is a single dancer, there are often other dancers nearby in the frame, at varying distances from the camera.

• Even using the center AF point would often be difficult without it being visible, because in many cases, everything is dark -- the dancers' costumes, the stage, the backdrop, and the house. In such conditions, one can't see the edges of the viewfinder frame -- making it hard to tell where the center of the frame is.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2012, 02:48:15 AM »

Pompo

Re: ordered a 3 stops ND filter for bright daylight shootings
« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2012, 07:37:13 PM »
I have just ordered a 3 stops ND filter for bright daylight shootings, the black af points should be as visible as when using a 2.8 lens with it, hopefully the AF won't lose too much speed...

It isn't a fix but if it should improve shooting in daylight quite a bit with fast primes at least.

Cyrano

« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2012, 02:06:59 PM »
I've just used a 5D3, and my fears were confirmed. The display of AF points cripples this camera for much of my dance work.

Now I'm really depressed. My 1D4 is aging; there are no new 1D4s to be had (as the model is discontinued); and the 1DX won't work for me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2012, 02:06:59 PM »