September 23, 2014, 04:55:26 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III & 1D X Black Focus Point in AI Servo Information  (Read 24644 times)

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
Re: 5D Mark III & 1D X Black Focus Point in AI Servo Information
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 04:28:38 PM »
Those of you guys who have problems with the VF... How many of you guys shot with the 7d and how many of you guys had similar issues? 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 04:28:38 PM »

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 04:44:34 PM »
I like the idea of keeping the point(s) illuminated at all times, except to turn them off long enough to get the exposure -- which should be a minuscule fraction of a second.

Canon, are you listening? This should be a trivial fix.

Cheers,

b&

THX723

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 04:58:17 PM »
Having said this, if you can press the shutter half way, and move the joystick to trigger the red illumination and not affect your exposure, I'm not sure why the camera can't do this on it's own without impacting exposure.  :o
I believe what's being asked to implement is to have the focus point remain lit (not momentary blink) throughout tracking. This would surely affect the exposure metering.

acoll123

• EOS M2
  • /
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 05:09:50 PM »
I got a 5D3 as a second body for my 1DIV. Most of the time, the black focus point isn't an issue but when I shoot sports and use both at the same time in servo mode and move the focus points around, it is very annoying. The only solace is being able to press the multi-controller to have the focus point reset back to the center point when it gets lost on dark backgrounds. During a typical baseball game I bet I lose the focus point on the 5D3 2-3 times which sometimes but not always results in an OOF shot or I should say, the focus point not where I want/expect it to be.

The red focus points on the 1DIV are great - never lose them in the viewfinder. I hope Canon provides the option at some point in the future.

Pompo

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 05:27:55 PM »
I got a 5D3 as a second body for my 1DIV. Most of the time, the black focus point isn't an issue but when I shoot sports and use both at the same time in servo mode and move the focus points around, it is very annoying. The only solace is being able to press the multi-controller to have the focus point reset back to the center point when it gets lost on dark backgrounds. During a typical baseball game I bet I lose the focus point on the 5D3 2-3 times which sometimes but not always results in an OOF shot or I should say, the focus point not where I want/expect it to be.

The red focus points on the 1DIV are great - never lose them in the viewfinder. I hope Canon provides the option at some point in the future.

+1 There ya go!!! Agreed! a killer AF system yet you miss home shots because a bad VF...isn't life wonderful (sarcasm...)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 11:16:13 PM by Pompo »

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2012, 05:38:31 PM »

+1 There ya go!!! Agreed! a killer AF system yet you miss shome shots because a bad VF...isn't life wonderful (sarcasm...)

I've shot with the 7d for nearly 3 years, shot track, NCAA football, cars, planes, air force 1, kids running around indoors/outdoors... cant say the VF has every caused me to lose shots...  with the 5d3 I feel right at home...  Personally I think the red illumination constantly would suck, it would suck having your eyes compensate between the bright red light and the dark scene, suck battery life, suck the LCD/LED life, and could give me a headache staring at that all day.  i dont mind they implement a fix, but have it be an optional thing so I dont have to deal with it. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2012, 06:59:45 PM »

Yep I've also got a 5D3 to partner my Mk4. Last night I shot a black suit function and the 5D3 just about drove me nuts. Even in OneShot mode you have to keep pumping the joystick or AF selection button to see where your AF point is. I missed shots I would have got with previous bodies. Canon have set this camera up with a fantastic AF system but strangled its usability with these insane black AF points.

This needs a very quick fix from Canon, particularly with the Olympics moments away and plenty of Canon shooters will be shooting 1DX which has an identical Black AF Point functionality. Canon don't need another AF related shemozzle after the mess they made with Mk3 AF. At least the Mk3 has red AF points!

PW

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2012, 06:59:45 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2012, 07:25:47 PM »
my immediate thought when i read about the exposure from it lighting up red being the issue.
simple solution at least in the interim make a firmware update that makes the point light up in manual mode
where all the exposure is set manually anyway so its a non issue and shooting manual you get to see the point
this would at least make all us manual shooters happy while they think up a clever way around for other modes
APS-H Fanboy

WoodyWindy

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • On the road again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2012, 07:47:09 PM »
For what it is worth, the old EOS D60 (not the current 60D) did have exposure changes with the illuminated focus point blocks. This was fixed in a firmware update. Unfortunately, the same problem also existed in the contemporary film body - the Elan II/EOS 50 - which didn't have provision for firmware updates. Fortunately, it only was significant in low-light situations.

- Woody -

Woody

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2012, 08:17:42 PM »
Doesn't Nikon use the same transmissive LCD thingy in their viewfinders? They have no issues keeping the AF points lit.

THX723

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2012, 08:35:42 PM »
Doesn't Nikon use the same transmissive LCD thingy in their viewfinders? They have no issues keeping the AF points lit.
Curiously enough, I thought of the same and wondered why that hasn't been a sticking point with Nikonians or has it?

I do have to agree it would sure be nice to be able to see the AF points in low light conditions. In fact, I thought of it as far back as owning the 7D, now with the 5D3, and just the other day playing with the D800.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2012, 08:50:31 PM »
I have an issue in just single shot mode, where when you half press for focus, the single focus point selected doesnt light up at all, so you have no idea what's trying to focus on where (if you say forget which AF Point you've left selected).

AFAIK, you can set it to light up in the C.Fn's.

It doesn't exactly "light up". It's there in disappointing black. It blinks once in red when you half-press the shutter release, hit the joystick or the AF Select point button. You have to get into the habit of lightly "pumping" the shutter release button. Canon, there's a proven way that everyone likes....the OLD way.

I'd be more than happy to take a small, probably barely measurable performance drop in exposure accuracy if I could only see WHERE my AF point was.

PW
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 08:54:32 PM by pwp »

llcanon

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2012, 09:36:40 PM »
The Al Servo performance under low light condition is not great anyway, so I don't see an issue for low light shooting. You also don't want to focus on a black shirt which is not contrasty enough for accurate focus. If you shoot a bird in the sky and cannot find the AF point in the sky, then it's on the bird. Feeling annoyed is the most annoying thing and it definitely affect your performance.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2012, 09:36:40 PM »

Pompo

Re: email Canon and demand a fix if you are't happy with it! (Addy)
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2012, 11:20:09 PM »
 if you aren't happy with the VF af point display email support here, the more people the better hope for a fix... even small improvement, whatever that might be: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii/form_display/support_by_kb_email

briansquibb

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2012, 02:13:46 AM »
I will wait fornext round of bodies and see if after the 1Dx they will go back to the regular "non - intelligent " viewfinder like on the 1D MIV, why Nikon can do it and Canon can't?!? >:(

Stupid comment - Canon do it on the 1D4 and then Canon cant do it - oxymoron rules OK

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2012, 02:13:46 AM »