December 22, 2014, 02:17:17 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III & 1D X Black Focus Point in AI Servo Information  (Read 26413 times)

kozakm

Re: 5D Mark III & 1D X Black Focus Point in AI Servo Information
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2012, 03:26:50 AM »
Yes, this was my very initial complain, but after two week of shooting with 5D III I msut admit I never had a problem.
Btw, Nikon D800 AF point illumination is a lot worse...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2012, 03:26:50 AM »

eosbit

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2012, 03:57:05 AM »
As a professional wedding photographer, I'm in the camp where this issue is bugging the HELL out of me in single shot mode.  Black suits, reception venues... it's a freakin nightmare!

I don't see how it can be difficult to resolve with regard to the exposure.  If it were such an issue, then how does the 5D2, and pretty much every camera before it not suffer from the same?

As mentioned earlier, the point should light up as soon as the button is pressed half way, and blink black for a fraction of a second to get exposure.  Just like every other camera before it.

I also find it curious that 7D shooters were never bothered by this.  To me that says that hardly any professionals use the 7D.

briansquibb

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2012, 05:27:49 AM »
I also find it curious that 7D shooters were never bothered by this.  To me that says that hardly any professionals use the 7D.

Probably not pro wedding photographers maybe wildlife though as black is not such an issue

eosbit

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2012, 07:23:14 AM »
True. 

danski0224

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2012, 08:10:27 AM »
I have a 7D and the black AF spot "problem" never clicked with me.
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

briansquibb

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2012, 09:44:25 AM »
I would also guess that using fast lens makes the black AF points easier to see. I only use my 7D in good light and with fast lens that seeing the black AF points are not a problem.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2012, 10:07:54 AM »
I would also guess that using fast lens makes the black AF points easier to see.

To a point - specifically, with an f/2.8 lens the viewfinder is as bright as it's going to get and the AF points are as dark as they're going to get, meaning maximum contrast.  If you use lenses faster than f/2.8, the AF points actually get washed out - even though the standard focusing screen means the viewfinder doesn't get any brighter with lenses faster than f/2.8, the additional light does affect the transmissive LCD, such that with an f/1.2 lens, the AF point display appears light gray instead of black.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2012, 10:07:54 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2012, 10:28:15 AM »
I would also guess that using fast lens makes the black AF points easier to see.

To a point - specifically, with an f/2.8 lens the viewfinder is as bright as it's going to get and the AF points are as dark as they're going to get, meaning maximum contrast.  If you use lenses faster than f/2.8, the AF points actually get washed out - even though the standard focusing screen means the viewfinder doesn't get any brighter with lenses faster than f/2.8, the additional light does affect the transmissive LCD, such that with an f/1.2 lens, the AF point display appears light gray instead of black.

My fastest on the 7D is f/2 - and I expect most of the time the 7D will be used with longer lens for sports/wildlife etc

fiend

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2012, 10:33:15 AM »
I would really like to have a fix to this. It's annoying as hell. Trying to take pictures with ND-filter is almost impossible!

briansquibb

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2012, 10:46:41 AM »
I would really like to have a fix to this. It's annoying as hell. Trying to take pictures with ND-filter is almost impossible!

Is this for landscapes? If so is it an improvement when tethered to a laptop  - does the AF point show black in liveview?

sublime LightWorks

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2012, 02:22:54 PM »

That would be a mistaken assumption.

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2012, 02:46:28 PM »

Think again, I used the 7d as my primary camera for almost 3 years since it was first released.  Never bothered me once.  To be fair weddings isn't my bread and butter but whenever I needed focus in dark areas, I never had to fear about missing shots... ever.  It just grew to be practically second nature to me. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Pompo

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2012, 09:54:05 PM »

Think again, I used the 7d as my primary camera for almost 3 years since it was first released.  Never bothered me once.  To be fair weddings isn't my bread and butter but whenever I needed focus in dark areas, I never had to fear about missing shots... ever.  It just grew to be practically second nature to me.

the 7d didn't have so many af point as the 5D Mark III does...Then again if you shoot  stills subject this is not an issue, try shooting something fast, action, it dim light, a concert, a wedding dance even which aint fast at all, then you will see how bad this is

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2012, 09:54:05 PM »

Cyrano

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2012, 11:48:08 PM »
... Then again if you shoot  stills subject this is not an issue, try shooting something fast, action, it dim light, a concert, a wedding dance even which aint fast at all, then you will see how bad this is

I shoot ballet dancers -- often in black leotards, running and jumping on a dark stage, under low light. I shoot in AI Servo mode, with a single AF point manually selected.

I'm very concerned. I have a 1DX on order, and it may prove unsuitable for my primary use.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2012, 12:29:35 AM »
... Then again if you shoot  stills subject this is not an issue, try shooting something fast, action, it dim light, a concert, a wedding dance even which aint fast at all, then you will see how bad this is
I shoot ballet dancers -- often in black leotards, running and jumping on a dark stage, under low light. I shoot in AI Servo mode, with a single AF point manually selected.
I'm very concerned. I have a 1DX on order, and it may prove unsuitable for my primary use.
Yes, I'm in a similar predicament. Last night I shot a low light black suit event, mostly bouncing flash. Just for the exercise I put the 300 f/2.8 on the 5D3, cranked iso up to 6400 and picked out candid AL  portraits of the guests. I wanted to see how AI Servo with single point selected would perform. Compared to the 1D4 in identical circumstances the 5D3 knocked my socks off. Where I managed to keep sight of the AF point the keepers rate was way above my expectations. If we had the red AF points visible, the only lost shots would have been from motion blur. I was astounded.

So what a pity Canon has set this camera up with such strong AF and all but murdered it's usability. Cancel the 1DX pre-order? It's a tough call...

PW
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 03:30:09 AM by pwp »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2012, 12:29:35 AM »