April 25, 2014, 03:05:27 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III & 1D X Black Focus Point in AI Servo Information  (Read 21767 times)

Pompo

Re: 5D Mark III & 1D X Black Focus Point in AI Servo Information
« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2012, 02:12:54 PM »
I've just used a 5D3, and my fears were confirmed. The display of AF points cripples this camera for much of my dance work.

Now I'm really depressed. My 1D4 is aging; there are no new 1D4s to be had (as the model is discontinued); and the 1DX won't work for me.

same here on movie sets where is dark I cannot see the dang af points, I don't think I'l get the 1Dx either, I just hope canon will go back to the "regular" non-intelligent(!) viewfinder next round! I still cannot believe how crippled this is...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2012, 02:12:54 PM »

Zouk

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2012, 02:55:45 PM »
I don't know if you shoot fast action sports but it's valuable and highly productive to have the red AF point stay illuminated on as it does on the 1D4 when shooting AI Servo with a single selected focus point or cluster. You simply have to keep sight of your selected point and keep it on the part of the action you're tracking. It all happens blindingly fast. By the time you re-activate a disappearing focus point the touchdown or goal has happened, the hurdles race has flashed past you, the race car has vanished...you get the idea? Constantly visible AF points are one of an action shooters prime productivity tools.

PW

Is there no option to keep the point from disappearing during continuous focus?  When I saw this video, I thought that the point would stay visible during AF tracking:

÷« Small | Large

...but if the point disappears once you start tracking, I'm going to call in right now and cancel my 1DX order.

Trevor

Pompo

« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2012, 03:01:40 PM »
I don't know if you shoot fast action sports but it's valuable and highly productive to have the red AF point stay illuminated on as it does on the 1D4 when shooting AI Servo with a single selected focus point or cluster. You simply have to keep sight of your selected point and keep it on the part of the action you're tracking. It all happens blindingly fast. By the time you re-activate a disappearing focus point the touchdown or goal has happened, the hurdles race has flashed past you, the race car has vanished...you get the idea? Constantly visible AF points are one of an action shooters prime productivity tools.

PW

Is there no option to keep the point from disappearing during continuous focus?  When I saw this video, I thought that the point would stay visible during AF tracking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=frTjF-qIuVg#t=96s

...but if the point disappears once you start tracking, I'm going to call in right now and cancel my 1DX order.

Trevor

you better hurry up and cancel it then! I use  the 85 1.2 in bright daylight and even then the af are so freaking hard to see that is a joke! With a  2.8 lens its gets easier BUT the red in serve  disappears no matter what....

Zouk

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2012, 03:06:00 PM »
you better hurry up and cancel it then! I use  the 85 1.2 in bright daylight and even then the af are so freaking hard to see that is a joke! With a  2.8 lens its gets easier BUT the red in serve  disappears no matter what....

Okay, just so I have this straight:

The red illumination turns off, but the black AF point + surrounding assist points stay?

Fortunately the lens that is going to live on my 1DX would be my 400 2.8... but still.  :-X

Trevor

Pompo

« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2012, 03:09:09 PM »
Read the review her the vf is just like the 5d3 http://blog.martinbaileyphotography.com/2012/06/27/podcast-341-canon-eos-1d-x-digital-slr-review/

No Illuminated Focus Point in AI Servo

"There is one annoying thing that was fixed in the 1D Mark IV, but is currently regressed in the 1D X, and that is that the focus point that has focus is not illuminated as the subject moves around the frame. I really liked this functionality in the 1D Mark IV, but it’s gone again. The Canon Rumors Web site says it’s something to do with the red light affecting the exposure calculation, and that Canon may be working on a fix, but no details are available as of June 2012."

Zouk

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2012, 04:04:14 PM »
Read the review her the vf is just like the 5d3 http://blog.martinbaileyphotography.com/2012/06/27/podcast-341-canon-eos-1d-x-digital-slr-review/

"There is one annoying thing that was fixed in the 1D Mark IV, but is currently regressed in the 1D X, and that is that the focus point that has focus is not illuminated as the subject moves around the frame. I really liked this functionality in the 1D Mark IV, but it’s gone again. The Canon Rumors Web site says it’s something to do with the red light affecting the exposure calculation, and that Canon may be working on a fix, but no details are available as of June 2012."

That tells me it's not illuminated - but my question is, does the black square on the VF that represents the AF point go away, or is it just no longer illuminated?

I've never been able to glean that information - the SNR of threads discussing it is too unfavorable.

Trevor

Pompo

« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2012, 04:09:12 PM »

That tells me it's not illuminated - but my question is, does the black square on the VF that represents the AF point go away, or is it just no longer illuminated?

I've never been able to glean that information - the SNR of threads discussing it is too unfavorable.

Trevor

It doesn't actually go away but if you are shooting in a dark scene it's like it does! It becomes almost invisible when placed over a certain color or texture...so you have to worry where your dang thing is and you endup missing the shots

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2012, 04:09:12 PM »

Zouk

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2012, 04:36:17 PM »
It doesn't actually go away but if you are shooting in a dark scene it's like it does! It becomes almost invisible when placed over a certain color or texture...so you have to worry where your dang thing is and you endup missing the shots

Okay - that's exactly what I wanted to know.  Thanks. :)

Trevor

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2012, 04:40:05 PM »

The 5DIII I borrow uses expansion so you get the cluster of points

You have many options for setting AF points, single and clusters as well, but they are all difficult to see in low light, and when using just one, nearly impossible.

I'd like to place the select point over the subject, not half press the shutter just to find out its missed the subject.  When the subject is moving, its useless to try it that way.

briansquibb

« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2012, 06:50:53 PM »

The 5DIII I borrow uses expansion so you get the cluster of points

You have many options for setting AF points, single and clusters as well, but they are all difficult to see in low light, and when using just one, nearly impossible.

I'd like to place the select point over the subject, not half press the shutter just to find out its missed the subject.  When the subject is moving, its useless to try it that way.

Bring back the tried and tested ways. Little red dots work even in a low light disco like this one from last night where even the smoke machine didn't stop the 1D4 AF. Got low ISO as I was using my 3 x 580EX light stick plus 580EX on shoe 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2012, 06:50:53 PM »