October 21, 2014, 01:05:39 PM

Author Topic: 7D full frame  (Read 19387 times)

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
Re: 7D full frame
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 02:08:48 AM »
I can imagine APS-H sensor in 7D2 which would accept EF-S lenses and had various crop modes like 1.3 (native APS-H), 1.6 (APS-C), 2.0 (for super telephoto) + 5D3 AF. At a reasonable price point ($2000-2500?) that would be an awesome camera.
But not FF  :)
FF + primes !

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 02:08:48 AM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 02:15:53 AM »
I can imagine APS-H sensor in 7D2 which would accept EF-S lenses and had various crop modes like 1.3 (native APS-H), 1.6 (APS-C), 2.0 (for super telephoto) + 5D3 AF. At a reasonable price point ($2000-2500?) that would be an awesome camera.

fingers crossed
prayingt to the canon designers...
please please please please
APS-H Fanboy

briansquibb

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 02:28:38 AM »

fingers crossed

It is such an obvious upgrade (and reuse of tried and test parts) that you have to wonder why it hasn't happened before

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 02:42:10 AM »

fingers crossed

It is such an obvious upgrade (and reuse of tried and test parts) that you have to wonder why it hasn't happened before

The reason - greedy marketing. They just want to sell a tiny bit better camera each year ;D
FF + primes !

briansquibb

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 02:45:24 AM »

The reason - greedy marketing. They just want to sell a tiny bit better camera each year ;D

Have you evidence it is greedy marketing? The 7D has been on the market for 3 years so perhaps not.

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 03:27:19 AM »

Have you evidence it is greedy marketing? The 7D has been on the market for 3 years so perhaps not.

I have soo many ideas on how it could have been a much better camera without too much effort or investments. The fact that I don't see it happening could mean two things - I'm a super genius (very unlikely :D ), or the reason I mentioned earlier. Why don't Canon include new features in each firmware update? Just look at the Magic Lantern, it is possible.
Mode dial lock ... dedicated rate button ... seriously? DoF preview lock button would be a better feature :).
FF + primes !

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2012, 03:32:44 AM »
the 7DMk2 will be no more than APS-H, more likely APS-C. You want a FF 7D you will buy a 5D3
I think the 7DII will be a 10fps crop (1.6 or 1.3). It may not be called the 7DII if it is a 1.3 (but what is in the name)

APS-C for sure. The 7D has been a huge seller and plenty of those buyers have sunk $$ into EF-S glass. Do you really think Canon would put all these people offside?

Bring on the 10fps APS-C with improved high iso specs and that sweet 61 point AF.

PW

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2012, 03:32:44 AM »

foobar

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2012, 04:49:19 AM »
Canon already released a full-frame 7D. It's called the 5D Mark III.

No, it's called 1dx if you want to leave the price tag out of the equation since it's got 18mp and fast fps like the 7d. Or, if you really see the 5d3 as the 7d successor, Canon is even beyond their "double the price" policy this time.
I didn't say "successor", just "full-frame version".
And no, I don't see the 1D-X having anything to do with either of them, since it's a completely different beast alltogether.

As for the 7D2, I think it will be an evolutionary upgrade (bringing some of the 5D3's features the original 7D didn't have back to the line) and, of course, will still be a high-framerate APS-C camera.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 04:52:54 AM by foobar »

briansquibb

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2012, 05:19:31 AM »

I have soo many ideas on how it could have been a much better camera without too much effort or investments. The fact that I don't see it happening could mean two things - I'm a super genius (very unlikely :D ), or the reason I mentioned earlier. Why don't Canon include new features in each firmware update? Just look at the Magic Lantern, it is possible.
Mode dial lock ... dedicated rate button ... seriously? DoF preview lock button would be a better feature :).

The 7D is still a prosumer body so headline gimicks have a higher priority than fundemental improvements.

Magic Lantern on the 7D - is that an anouncement because not according to the web site ....

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2012, 06:11:37 AM »
Keep the rebel line with a rebel to fill xxd, kill the xxd line, release 7d 2.0 as a crop at reasonable price (price is key with the xxd dead), new ff entry, and a mirrorless full frame body for $799.  Ok, $799 is a dream.

+1 .. YES to everything!

lol

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • My dA
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2012, 07:18:22 AM »
Has Canon ever changed sensor size within a specific model line? I don't recall so... So if they make a body called 7D mk2, it will be APS-C. That doesn't rule out a 7D like body with bigger sensor in it, but it would be called something else. If the last CR on 7D2 is correct, then it will be an APS-C 5D3 with a smidge more fps.
Canon 1D, 300D IR, 450D full spectrum, 600D, 5D2, 7D, EF 35/2, 50/1.8, 85/1.8, 135/2+SF, 70-300L, 100-400L
EF-S 15-85, TS-E 24, MP-E 65, Zeiss 50/2 macro, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8 OS, Samyang 8mm fisheye

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2012, 07:27:22 AM »

The 7D is still a prosumer body so headline gimicks have a higher priority than fundemental improvements.

Magic Lantern on the 7D - is that an anouncement because not according to the web site ....
I'm not talking about 7D specifically, but the new Canon DSLR improvements in general (60D, 1D X, 5D3).
For example, I'm using 5D2 and the Set button has no function in image replay/preview mode. Canon could make it a "fast focus check" button which would just switch between normal and 100% view, or even "rate" (no need for a dedicated button).
FF + primes !

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2012, 08:17:22 AM »
For example, I'm using 5D2 and the Set button has no function in image replay/preview mode. Canon could make it a "fast focus check" button which would just switch between normal and 100% view.

Doesn't ml do this on the 5d2, too? On the 60d you can set the + button to instantly zoom to 100% (I'm always using it), and if you ask nicely they'll put it on the set button, too.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2012, 08:17:22 AM »

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2012, 09:06:11 AM »
NO.

Thanks, I got a good laugh.

Using the 7D name on something that's not APS-C at this point would be a PR disaster; if you suggested it to Canon you'd get laughed out of the boardroom. By which I mean fired.

If they do introduce something *like* the 7D that's full frame, it would have to be named something else.

Like 5D Mark III.

Wisely said! I have come to the conclusion that those requesting a full frame 7D (a camera with the 7D's performance, except full frame) either want an inexpensive FF camera, or want something like the 1DX. The 1DX costs nearly 7,000. If the 7D were an inexpensive full frame, it would probably shoot at about 2 FPS. The 5d MK II is an inexpensive FF. And it STILL retails for more than the 7D, with a lot less performance, other than a larger sensor.

APS-H will still make the 7D prices skyrocket. AND will still kill the lenses. Those who ask for a FF 7D need to seriously figure out what they are really looking for. In some cases, I think they are merely trolling.

Those interested in the 7D as APS-H are looking at things more realistically than the FF crowd, but still, APS-H kills what the 7D is all about.

The 7D is an APS-C camera. And that's how we love it!
What is truth?

briansquibb

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2012, 09:50:18 AM »
The 5d MK II is an inexpensive FF. And it STILL retails for more than the 7D, with a lot less performance, other than a larger sensor.

+ low light focusing
+ high iso
+ better video

In the only thing that the 7D beats it at is AF and fps

You pay your money and take your choice. Been there, done both - 7D is now a 1D4, 5dII is now a 1DS3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2012, 09:50:18 AM »