October 21, 2014, 01:03:01 PM

Author Topic: EOS 4D full frame (6D)  (Read 10383 times)

DavidRiesenberg

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
Re: EOS 4D full frame
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 08:29:23 PM »

Now it would be interesting if Nikon pro photogs are more often hit by lightning or a crashing satellite when at work :-p

If that happens, I wonder if Nikon will issue a recall to rebadge the cameras.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 08:29:23 PM »

Positron

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 10:28:21 PM »
I believe the number "4" is bad and usually skipped in Japanese culture. Not sure of the validity of that statement, I just think I read that in a few places.

Makes sense, Lumix went from the LX3 to the LX5, and the gf3 to the gf5.

So we should probably take the 4 off the table.

Also, like others have said, a lower number indicates higher end model.
The same argument was used to say that Canon wouldn't release a 1D Mk4...

The aversion isn't so strong that the number can't be used at all, but it is really bad, and I agree that they would avoid making the bulk of the name of a product the number 4, for fear of losing potential customers due to superstition. The worst part about it is that it has a multiplicative effect with other superstitions. To illustrate how bad it can be, in most rule sets for Japanese Mahjong, if all four players discard the same wind tile on the same turn, the game is instantly declared a draw, originally implemented for fear that if the game were to continue, all participants would die. Sadly, this isn't even that rare statistically; assuming that a player was willing to discard the fourth wind at all, it would occur approximately once every 750 games if all tiles had an equal chance of discard. In reality, once strategy is factored in, the true rate is much higher.

In the case of the 1D Mark IV, there are two things going on. One is that the number 4 is auxiliary to the name, and two is that "Mark IV" is canonically said in transliterated English even in Japan, made very easy to market as such because there's no direct Japanese translation for the word "Mark" used as such, so it no longer sounds anything like "death".

Imagination_landB

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 11:38:23 PM »
By logic it would be a 6d. Lower the series number are, better the camera is (except  it's the opposite with 60d and rebels when a newer model is out but the main series stays in the same order.) . 1d =best series after 5d, 7d 60d 600d etc. So if a new consumer ff comes out, without all the big specs of the 5d I wouldn,t call it 4d but 6d.
6D, Gripped 60D. 120-300 2.8 OS, 50 1.8, 8-16, 24-70 VC.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2012, 01:04:30 AM »
From what I read at the bottom of your posts, you guys own a lot of gear, but considering the uselessness and waste of time of the discussion you're having, not that many clients to use it for!!!
;/

Don't let the sigs fool you, a lot of people here are just gear heads.  I just like playing with cameras, it's more or less a very, very expensive hobby.  Although I do shoot quite a bit of video, but I do more editing than anything.  Although I don't have quite as much stuff as Brian or Niccyboy, it's still enough for most to assume I shoot professionally.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 01:09:04 AM by Axilrod »
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

Ew

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: EOS 4D full frame (6D)
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2012, 02:59:28 AM »
We see who's pro from the text - and we are grateful to you pros for sharing your realworld experience and suggestions.
Sigs can ref a body of work, or our equipment to help with a ref as to what we're coming from.

As for myself, I've never sold a print, or worked as photog for income.  Sound work is my line.
But I love the photo craft, and most of my subjects are our kids, family/friend events, some landscape, some wildlife.

I see my time spent here as valuable (unfortunately there's not too much of it) - advice and people here are gold.  If I don't like a subject in the threads, I don't read it.

Thank you all for sharing and building this community.
5D3 | 600D | EOSm | Samyang 8mm 3.8T | Samyang 14 2.8 | 17-40 | 28 1.8 | Sig 35 1.4 | 40 | 50 1.4 | 100 2.0 | 135 L | 70-200 4L IS + x1.4mk2 | Nippon Kogaku 50 1.4 (1965) | Nikkor 43-86 (mid 1970s) | M: 22

briansquibb

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2012, 03:14:04 AM »
As for myself, I've never sold a print, or worked as photog for income. 

Nor me

Heidrun

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2012, 05:26:45 AM »
All this talk of price / options / positioning of a lower cost FF body distorts the camera line in one way or another.

I see this as the following possible relationship:

7D          5D3
------ = --------
60D       new 4D

For the new FF body:
We scale down weather sealing
Provide articulating screen
Lower fps (rebel level + fraction)
Video as in 5d3 (& allowing ML)
Price point differential as in 7D/60D (25-30%??)

Hits those wanting FF, not needing higher FPS
Hits vid lovers, willing to compromise on build (eg GH2 crowd)

60D is a nice niche body IMHO - this would be the basis for lower cost FF

If there is a 4D ff coming . I will defeitly have weather sealing as a priority. They can scrap the video

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2012, 05:26:45 AM »

crasher8

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2012, 08:12:23 AM »
I see it differently. I think a lower priced FF body is just a rumor and the two new bodies coming are both 1.6

60D becomes a 70D with full time AF on video and partial weather sealing.
7D becomes 6D with 5D3's AF, lower noise ISO and an articulating screen.

I think FF goes from numbers 1-5 and everything above is crop.

AG

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2012, 08:42:47 AM »
Anyone else think that they are over saturating the market?

Rebel = Beginner
60D = Advanced Beginner
7D = Enthusiast
5D3 = Pro
1DX = Advanced Pro

I don't think we need to plug any more holes...just my 2 cents...

You forgot

1100D = the My First DLSR

;D
Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2012, 03:39:44 PM »

The 60d already has "partial" sealing. Actually, every type of sealing is partial, it just depends on how you use it - the 1d series have the best and better than 5d3, ...

If they want the 7d customer base to upgrade, they'll call it 7d2 for marketing reasons so that the 7d1 will be "old". And if they put in an articulating screen in a 7d body I'll laugh my ass off because that's one of the things 7d users always laugh at concerning the 60d/600d ("only the rebels have it - it can't be good or pro").

Positron

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2012, 04:18:01 PM »
I see it differently. I think a lower priced FF body is just a rumor and the two new bodies coming are both 1.6

I think FF goes from numbers 1-5 and everything above is crop.

Naming is not that simple when you have so many products. They've backed themselves into a corner a few times (see S100), but also remember that the 1D (non-s) series is not full frame; also that the EOS 500 and 650 by virtue of being film cameras are "full-frame", while the 500D and eventual 650D are and won't be.

In an ideal world, all this stuff would have been thought out ahead of time. However, in the real world, even the best visionaries cannot predict 25 years into the future.

Tcapp

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Capp Photography
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2012, 04:18:42 PM »
We see who's pro from the text - and we are grateful to you pros for sharing your realworld experience and suggestions.
Sigs can ref a body of work, or our equipment to help with a ref as to what we're coming from.

As for myself, I've never sold a print, or worked as photog for income.  Sound work is my line.
But I love the photo craft, and most of my subjects are our kids, family/friend events, some landscape, some wildlife.

I see my time spent here as valuable (unfortunately there's not too much of it) - advice and people here are gold.  If I don't like a subject in the threads, I don't read it.

Thank you all for sharing and building this community.

We love you too. :)
5DIII, 5DII, 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 2x TC III, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 100 Macro 2.8, 24 1.4 L
http://www.TimothyCapp.com
Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timothy-Capp-Photography/94664798952

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2012, 05:09:38 AM »
I believe the number "4" is bad and usually skipped in Japanese culture. Not sure of the validity of that statement, I just think I read that in a few places.

hows that working out for Nikon?
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2012, 05:09:38 AM »

Positron

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2012, 06:44:57 AM »

hows that working out for Nikon?

Good question. No clue. D4 is definitely harder to pronounce like death than 4D is, though.

I guess it's also worth considering that most of the people who are buying the D4 simply want the best, either because it's how they make their living or because they are serious enthusiasts. In that sense, they already know what they want and no name is going to change that, so maybe it's a moot point. In comparison, the target market for the camera we're talking about here is probably closer to the D800's demographic, and more likely to include people with a bit too much discretionary income who just want it because they heard it's a good camera.

You do bring up a good point though, and I'm curious if it has caused any problems for them.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2012, 07:45:11 PM »
I wouldn't equate the 5DIII to the 7D at all, aside from the still/video switch they are completely different cameras. 
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2012, 07:45:11 PM »