December 17, 2014, 04:47:58 PM

Author Topic: Who is waiting for Canon Mirrorless?  (Read 7331 times)

sandymandy

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Re: Who is waiting for Canon Mirrorless?
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2012, 05:25:37 AM »
I always wonder how a tiny mirrorless camera and telezoom lenses will balance out. New lens mount would suck too. Please include an adapter.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2012, 05:25:37 AM »

Bennymiata

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2012, 05:42:41 AM »
I was in the same quandry, and just bought a G1X, mainly for my wife to use.

I found the mirrorless cameras with a decent sized sensor that were really good were just too expensive for what they offer, and then the lenses are so big and having to carry around a group of lenses just defeats the whole purpose IMHO.

90% of my shots are with my 24-105, so the G1X fills the bill perfectly without having to buy a whole slew of new lenses, and putting on EF-s or EF lenses on a tiny body just seems ridiculous to me.
I tried a NEX-7, and found the big lens on the end of it was very unbalanced to hold comfortably.

mws

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2012, 07:16:28 AM »
I can't wait to see what Canon does in this area. More then anything I want it to be somewhat pocketable (coat/cargo shorts etc) Right now I'm using a 50D w/grip and plan on upgrading to a 5Diii, and just want something smaller to take places, a big SLR is just intimidating in some settings.

I would love it to be full frame, but have a feeling that it will be a C size sensor. If it's anything less then C size, I will be disappointed, I really want the shallow DOF. Sony has done nice things with in C size with the Nex line up, I'm always surprised they don't get more press.

There will almost have to to be a new lens mount, which I don't mind, as long as there are adapters that allow full use of EF and EF-S lenses. If Canon doesn't make them, someone else will. Canon would be dumb not to.

Ideally I would love something similar to the M9, that doesn't cost a fortune. (Even if that doesn't fit in a pocket)

I actually got sick of waiting and just recently picked up a Lumix GF2 with 14mm pancake of ebay for only 300 to play with in the mean time. I've heard a lot of really good things on the Lumix series. Actually I wonder if Canon would ever release anything in the 4/3s format? That would be interesting.........

EvilTed

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2012, 01:11:05 PM »
"Since we're wishing, I'd basically like a Fuji X-like system, but with sensor phase detect."

If they manage to get decent AF and not lock the camera up every day, then yes.
The X-Pro 1 is buggy as all hell and  very frustrating for a body and lens that cost $2300 :(

ET

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2012, 02:58:38 PM »
I'm leaning heavily towards a Nex 5n or Lumix G3 [midrange/ mid price]
Just interested in knowing what other users are doing really and why.
Thanks

Yes, if/when Canon ships a new system, it will be with a new lens mount. There will be maybe 3 native lenses, including a slow kit zoom, a slow superzoom and maybe a 17mm f/2.8 lens. If they shipped an adapted that provided aperture control and AF, that might be a point in favor of them, though the adapted lenses will only work well if the adapter includes phase detect AF (like Sonys)
Both Micro 4/3 and Sony will adapt just about any lens (manual focus only), some lenses (like Canon FD) are available used for cheap.  Sony enthusiasts tend to use adapted lenses a lot (because the native AF lenses are rubbish for the most part)

I went with micro 4/3 (Panasonic GF2) because I wanted micro 4/3 (they have the most mature mirrorless system -- plenty of good native AF lenses -- Olympus 12mm f/2, Panasonic 25mm f/1.4, Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, Olympus 45mm f/1.8, and the up coming panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8, Oly 75mm f/1.8)  and also picked up the 20mm f/1.7. The Sony NEX cameras have better sensors but a weaker system of lenses. 

The Panasonic G3 you are considering is a good pick if you want something at a good price with a viewfinder.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2012, 04:07:20 PM »
I've read all the hype about mirrorless, so I went to my local Camera store, they have a fair selection.  I was generally disappointed in them.  No wide lenses (wider than 24mm equiv)  Most had no viewfinder, or a add-on klunky thing.

The best of the bunch seemed to me to be the Sony Nex 7, but it still lacked wide, and the evf turning the rear lcd display on asnd off continuously was disconcerting.  The camera seemed fragile as well.

I'd be more incliined to go for a FF mirrorless camera that used EF lenses and had full time phase detect AF.  The size is not a big deal, but dumping the clacking mirror would be welcome.  Pellicle mirrors are not on my wish list, they lose too much light.

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2012, 04:25:52 PM »
I've read all the hype about mirrorless, so I went to my local Camera store, they have a fair selection.  I was generally disappointed in them.  No wide lenses (wider than 24mm equiv)  Most had no viewfinder, or a add-on klunky thing.

Your impressions based on your trip to the camera store do not accurately reflect the current state of the art.

There are several models with built in viewfinders. Among micro 4/3 cameras alone, Panasonic G series and GH series have built in viewfinders, as does the Olympus OM-D.

Panasonic makes a 7-14mm lens, and Olympus makes a 9-18mm lens. Samyang has a 7.5mm fish eye and Panasonic has an 8mm fisheye. Of these lenses, the Panasonic is probably 7-14mm has the best reputation.

I'm not as familiar with the other systems, but Sony and Fuji definitely have cameras available with built in viewfinders. Most of the other systems do not have as good a range of lenses as micro 4/3.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 04:33:45 PM by elflord »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2012, 04:25:52 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2012, 04:44:53 PM »
The technology is not important - it is the image that is

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2012, 06:35:29 PM »
there are a few things to consider really, the m4/3 systems etc that have interchangeable lenses still mean carrying a nit of gear and they are not really that cheap, also the lenses are pretty ordinary maybe the ziess stuff is good but now we are talking more expensive.
really you may as well just get some insurance cover and use the 40D in this case

I chose a fuji x10 for a small portable cam when i am too lazy to carry the big gear around
yeah its a smallish sensor but its sensor is really quite good and word is that fuji has a replacement sensor to fix the white orb issue.
also while no interchangable lens (a good thing on a small camera thats supposed to stop you carrying too much gear) the 28-112 f2-2.8 lens on the x10 is really really good and enables you to shoto in low light especially if you are shooting in the low signal noise mode

a complaint here is it is extremely vague on how these modes work and when they work
at fisrt i didnt think it worked in raw but after some research as long as you set M for image size it will shoot 6MP raws and use the EXR tech

the new firmware is nice and has allowed customisation of the raw button, i have this set to adjust DR
then have C1 and C2 settings configured to M images size and Full size so when in C1 i can just change the DR settign to go from signal noise function 100% DR or over to dynamic range function 400% and then over to C2 if i want to shoot a 12MP normal image

Auto iso works really quite well. AF is not too bad, not fast by say 1D standards but not bad, you can select focus point as spot focus and the focus points are spread all over the frame.

the strap that comes with it is too short unless youa re only 4 foot tall, i got a longer one so i can wear it accross my body and have it hang at my waste

definately worth looking at

overall the fuji is pretty good as a little carry all the time beast
APS-H Fanboy

rumorzmonger

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2012, 06:50:41 PM »
The technology is not important - it is the image that is

Which I precisely why I've sold all of my m4/3 gear and gone back to a full-frame Canon system.
Nikon D800E, Nikon D7100, Fuji XE-1, Nikon FE2, Olympus OM-4Ti, OM-1 MD

Radiating

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2012, 07:25:28 PM »
I currently shoot with a T2i and 5D3 and want something even smaller than the T2i as a "mini DSLR". The sony NEX would be perfect if it were compatible with my EF lenses.

Canon needs to release a sony nex clone which is EF compatible, with an APS-C sensor.

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2012, 09:42:54 PM »
there are a few things to consider really, the m4/3 systems etc that have interchangeable lenses still mean carrying a nit of gear and they are not really that cheap, also the lenses are pretty ordinary

The older bodies are pretty cheap these days. The better lenses are relatively at a bit of a premium because they are all 2008 or later.

You can choose how much gear you want to use. I have the GF2 with a panasonic 20mm f/1.7. It already has a built-in flash which can be tilted upward (so it can be bounced in horizontal orientation) -- not quite up there with the 430EX but good enough that I don't feel the need to rush out and buy a flash. I have some adapters so that I can mount my Canon glass -- so I have the 50mm f/1.4 and 35mm f/1.4 as portrait lenses. If I want a portrait lens with AF there's always the Olympus 45mm -- I could add this to my kit and still be under $1k for the whole setup.

Sith Zombie

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Lightroom Images
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2012, 07:48:32 AM »
really you may as well just get some insurance cover and use the 40D in this case
Not a bad point actually! Although I was looking forward to getting video functions and I'm guessing IQ would be a slight step up if I went for a nex [and a decent affordable lens came out] but still a good idea, I wouldn't be so worried about breaking/losing it with insurance.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2012, 07:48:32 AM »

dtameling

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2012, 01:26:35 PM »
I was eagerly waiting for a Canon mirrorless. I'm not in as big a hurry any more because Sony beat them to the punch with what I was looking for. I've been using the NEX-7 for a little while now and the only thing it's missing is EF lens compatibility. With the (hard to get) Metabones adapter, that's less an issue now than it used to be.

I've been doing street shooting, events, wedding video and all sorts of stuff with it and it's easily the equal of my 7D...if not better. If it weren't for a strong stock of EF lenses, I'd consider walking away from Canon.

If Canon does it right, I'll buy...but it's going to be tough given the head start other companies have.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2012, 01:48:11 PM »
Give me a camera and ill get something good out of it.

I like the idea of mirrorless but with a canon system it would be nice to have the mirrorless compatible with my current SLR system. I've been waiting for canon to release its system and hopefully an EF adapter to mount my current lenses.

If a mirrorless system is released, Id probably just buy a Fast 50mm and the body only at release. I dont like the current offerings from other systems because of the reason above.

Impatience is an expensive commodity, and i'm willing to wait for canon. 8)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2012, 01:48:11 PM »