July 23, 2014, 02:42:31 AM

Author Topic: This should be more than a rumour  (Read 6067 times)

Mark Davies

This should be more than a rumour
« on: May 27, 2012, 03:27:23 AM »
I have seen on a few photog forums the sad story about cameras getting lost. Now, not to get you all worried, But I was just thinking!!! Why not allow a user to put a security code (like a pin no with a phone etc) into the body of your camera so unless you know the pin you cannot use the camera. With a bit more thought, the pin could be matched to your lenses so if you lose a lens, then unless it is unlocked with the pin then that too is of no use to the nasty person who relieved you of your gear.

What say others? Can we get Canon (and probably other manufacturers) to do such a thing?

Rgds, Mark 8)

canon rumors FORUM

This should be more than a rumour
« on: May 27, 2012, 03:27:23 AM »

Pitbullo

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: This should be more than a rumour
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 03:37:46 AM »
This would be nice, equipment is very expensive. I do see a problem, software like Magic Lantern would probably not work, since it might be a workaround the PIN-code.
Unless you have to use PIN to install ML...

Bennymiata

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 05:44:33 AM »
I think that's a great idea.

Another is for cameras with GPS in them, if they get stolen or lost, you could track them on the internet, like you can with an i-Phone.

UrbanVoyeur

• Rebel SL1
  • To see and be seen.
    • View Profile
    • UrbanVoyeur.com
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 09:13:31 AM »
Great ideas. Yes to both pin and GPS locator.

ruuneos

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 09:20:05 AM »
How anyone have come up with this earlier, that should be in every Canon camera PIN + GPS ( which can turn on via internet ).
Hopefully we're going to see PIN lock prototypes near future!

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 09:57:06 AM »
Camera start-up time would increase from milliseconds to minutes as users try to figure out the interface to enter their pin number...
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

Forceflow

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 12:22:19 PM »
Not a bad idea, and with touchscreens becoming more and more common in dSLRs it would not be a problem at all to implement. (And for those who think it's too bothersome they could simply switch it off like you can on every cell phone today)
I like it and I would hope to see that in my future cameras!
Canon 7D - Canon 50mm 1.8 - Canon 24-70mm 2.8 L - Canon 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 L IS - SIGMA 85mm 1.4 - SIGMA 150mm 2.8 OS Macro - SIGMA 10-20mm 3,5

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 12:22:19 PM »

zaphod

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 12:37:19 PM »
Camera start-up time would increase from milliseconds to minutes as users try to figure out the interface to enter their pin number...

I think the idea is good, and to work around the problem you describe, the code could be entered every time you change the battery/memory card only. So once per battery reload instead of every time you turn on the camera.

stilscream

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 05:55:52 PM »
And what would you do for the poor sap who forgets his password? Phones and computers can be reset to original factory settings. Cameras that isn't too bothersome to a thief probably.
7d, 5d mk iii, 1d4, 1dx, 35mm f1.4L, 70-200mm IS ii USM, 300mm f4 IS USM, 600mm f4l is USM, 400mm f2.8l is usm, 14mm tamron f2.8, 17-40mm f4L, 24-70 f2.8L USM, 85f1.2L USM, 100mm f2.8 macro

Mark Davies

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 08:10:54 PM »
By the looks of things I should have patented the idea!! I could have been a billionaire like Mr Gates had I done so. Oh well, back to the drawing board; another cup of coffee.
Thanks for the comments friends.
Mark 8)

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 09:00:10 PM »
Touch wood I've never left anything at a job or had any gear lost/stolen. But given that 99% of people are pretty honest, I put my phone number on every bit of gear from bodies to light stands. If you picked up a Pocket Wizard with a phone number on it, what would you do? Some mongrels would pocket the item but by far the greatest majority would make the call.

Put your number on everything. I use a label maker. At least you're in with a good chance!

PW

Hillsilly

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 09:58:44 PM »
How about every camera having a unique code.  When you take a photo, the code is embeded into it.  If your camera is stolen, you can search the internet for your code to see who's uploading photos from your camera.  Maybe this can already be done?
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

gmrza

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 10:15:03 PM »
I have seen on a few photog forums the sad story about cameras getting lost. Now, not to get you all worried, But I was just thinking!!! Why not allow a user to put a security code (like a pin no with a phone etc) into the body of your camera so unless you know the pin you cannot use the camera. With a bit more thought, the pin could be matched to your lenses so if you lose a lens, then unless it is unlocked with the pin then that too is of no use to the nasty person who relieved you of your gear.

What say others? Can we get Canon (and probably other manufacturers) to do such a thing?

Rgds, Mark 8)

Unlike a mobile phone, whose IMEI number can be tracked or blocked at a network level, if a camera can somehow be reset to factory settings, it might be possible to circumvent a PIN.

What goes part of the way to track stolen cameras is online searching for EXIF data, including serial numbers.  This is provided through sites like http://www.stolencamerafinder.com/.

That said, I checked against the serial numbers of two bodies I have used to take photos I have posted to Flickr, and only one of them came up in a search.
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 10:15:03 PM »

PeterJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 01:05:50 AM »
For something as simple as PIN entry you could place the code in a read-only area of memory at the boot vector so it got called every time the battery was replaced, a bit like the unlock codes used on car stereos. Not sure about Canon DSLRs but many devices already have such a read-only area so a bootloader can still be used to 'unbrick' a failed firmware update.

GPS would be a bit more problematic, unlike a smartphone that normally has an  active SIM / Internet connection the camera doesn't, and trying to actively attach to open WiFi access points could be legally questionable.

Good EXIF serial tracking like the site gmrza pointed out would be a good step foward, especially if a few major players like Facebook and Google got on board with providing data. They could always just report back the number of 'hits' on a certain serial number after the date stolen and only provide more detailed information to law enforcement to protect privacy.

hyles

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 04:11:46 AM »
Touch wood I've never left anything at a job or had any gear lost/stolen. But given that 99% of people are pretty honest, I put my phone number on every bit of gear from bodies to light stands. If you picked up a Pocket Wizard with a phone number on it, what would you do? Some mongrels would pocket the item but by far the greatest majority would make the call.

Put your number on everything. I use a label maker. At least you're in with a good chance!

PW

It is nice to be so positive, and it may work if you leave/forget your equipment somewere... but what about someone whose steal it on purpose? I think he is not going to call you...
And i Think thaf very few people forget their 5DIII + 200 f2 somewhere. But if they put telephone number on it, they may be luky.
Diego

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 04:11:46 AM »