April 19, 2014, 04:21:21 PM

Author Topic: Canon now fixing 5D MK3 light leak problem  (Read 1922 times)

EvilTed

Canon now fixing 5D MK3 light leak problem
« on: May 27, 2012, 01:08:48 PM »
I called Canon yesterday and they told me they would take my MK3 into the Irvine CA Service Center and apply the "Light Leak Counter Measures" on my body and they sent me a pre-paid UPS label.

They didn't bother to email me as they had promised, so I guess if you want your body officially "fixed" call Canon and send it in.
I think I'll get my 50mm F/1.2 mirror adjusted at the same time.

ET

canon rumors FORUM

Canon now fixing 5D MK3 light leak problem
« on: May 27, 2012, 01:08:48 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Canon now fixing 5D MK3 light leak problem
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 01:43:46 PM »
I called Canon yesterday and they told me they would take my MK3 into the Irvine CA Service Center and apply the "Light Leak Counter Measures" on my body and they sent me a pre-paid UPS label.

ET

They have my camera in a pile waiting to sell as a refurb in 6 months or so.  I bought a 1D MK IV to replace it for about the same price.  I also bought a D800 to try out and see for myself how it compares.  So far, the only thing I do not like about it is the eyepiece and the huge files.  When I've underexposed, I can pull up a image in the shadows way beyond what I could do with my 5D MK III.  I have been saving jpegs to the SD card, so after 1000 images, I took a look at them and compared them with my processed raws.  The raws are better, but the 12mp jpegs are suprisingly good.  There is so much detail that a lot is retained even after in camera processing.

If only Nikon had a 135mm L, and a 100mmL with the super IS.  I'm reluctant to replace my Canon lenses with Nikon, but it does hold its value.

There is a mirror in a 50mm f/1.2?

drjlo

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 02:39:56 PM »

ET

If only Nikon had a 135mm L, and a 100mmL with the super IS.  I'm reluctant to replace my Canon lenses with Nikon, but it does hold its value.

Not to mention 85 f/1.2 II, TS-E 24 II, TS-E 17!

And then all those fabulous Canon super-telephotos..

Of course, Nikon has the 14-24 on their ledger.

EvilTed

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 03:33:44 PM »
LOL, should have been micro-adjusted :)
Strangely enough I used to blame the iPhone for these fas.
Maybe it was me all the time?

Yeah, I'm sure the D800 is great, but I knew when I switched that glass was an issue.
That and availability...

ET

dcreisman

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 06:43:20 PM »

They didn't bother to email me as they had promised, so I guess if you want your body officially "fixed" call Canon and send it in.

ET

I just got my 5D3 back from Irvine yesterday after having the light leak issue fixed and my sensor cleaned (my brand new $3500 camera came with a A LOT of sensor spots...not happy).  They told me it was my responsibility to pay for insured shipping to them, so I had to pay $66 for UPS ground from NV!  Have they been sending any of you other folks prepaid labels, or have you had to pay for your own shipping to get the camera to them???

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 06:44:02 PM »

nikon have the 105mm f2.8 VRII Micro it is every bit as good as the canon 100L actually i would say its a little better it can basically do everything the canon can, doesnt have hybrid IS but its still VRII which is good for around 4 stops. It's one lens i miss in my change over from nikon to canon, while i like the canon its not as good as the nikon IMO go try one out, they make wonderfull portrait lenses
APS-H Fanboy

Marty K

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 07:56:19 AM »
I had to send mine in last Monday because it failed to power up most of the time.  I found removing the battery & reinstalling it temporarily fixed the problem, but that was a pain in the axx.  I also asked them to correct the light leakage problem & to check out why it consistently underexposes raw images by at least a full stop in both Lightroom 4.1 & Aperture 3.2.4.  I had to pay $66 for UPS to ship it from Illinois to Virginia, half the cost to cover the insurance.  Not happy about that & I plan on fighting them to get it back.  They said it would take 5 to 7 business days to repair it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 07:56:19 AM »