September 30, 2014, 06:39:37 AM

Author Topic: Bokeh...is the look getting dated?  (Read 12947 times)

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Bokeh...is the look getting dated?
« on: May 29, 2012, 08:06:09 AM »
We have all spent the past few years kitting up with lenses that will deliver sharp images at wide apertures and with smooth appealing bokeh. Such lenses are high on the "must-have" list. It's a look that I personally like a lot, as do most of my clients.

Interestingly, I've been getting an increasing, though still very occasional request in a job brief for total depth of field in subjects that my instincts would have delivered the now more conventional "look" of shallow depth of field and smooth bokeh. There is an old saying that everything old will be new again.

A brief, possibly flawed look through the photographic styles since WWII reveal a predominance of full depth of field wherever possible. Long lens work would be excluded here. I just wonder when the current desirable "look" will start to look tired and old fashioned. It will happen. It always does. Probably not anytime soon, but still it's worth staying skilled up in the art of making an image look good with a total depth of field.

We may well start grinding away at Canon to deliver lenses that perform superbly ay f/22. As ISO performance improves, shooting at f/22 with a good fast shutter speed is becoming a practical reality. Though not always a great IQ reality. Strong sales of Canons new tilt/shift lenses may push this trend.

As creatives, it's over to us to establish new looks, or at least to see the future coming and be ready for it rather than reacting once it's already run right over the top of us.

Just my thought for the day...

PW
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 09:51:23 PM by pwp »

canon rumors FORUM

Bokeh...is the look getting dated?
« on: May 29, 2012, 08:06:09 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Bokeh...is the look feeling dated?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 08:11:39 AM »
Interestingly, I've been getting an increasing, though still very occasional request in a job brief for total depth of field...

Let us know when brides start requesting you to shoot with a Lytro plenoptic camera...  :P
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

briansquibb

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 06:15:23 PM »
Interesting that recent cameras are getting defraction earlier than older models.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 09:34:46 PM »
Interesting that recent cameras are getting defraction earlier than older models.

Diffraction is a lens property, and it is the same for a given lens, no matter what body you attach. 

A High MP body has better resolution and can see diffraction better, but it is not any more or less.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 09:55:09 PM »
Interestingly, I've been getting an increasing, though still very occasional request in a job brief for total depth of field...
Let us know when brides start requesting you to shoot with a Lytro plenoptic camera...

Hah! What a concept. I suppose someone on the planet has shot a Lytro wedding. But there are no brides on my client list...

PW

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
Re: Bokeh...is the look getting dated?
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 10:11:30 PM »
How much DOF do you want?
50mm f/177 gives hyperfocal at 74cm, that's everything sharp from 37cm to infinity...
('sharp' being a relative term, of course)
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 11:34:14 PM »
50mm f/177 gives hyperfocal at 74cm, that's everything sharp from 37cm to infinity...

sharp as a bowling ball!
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 11:34:14 PM »

EOBeav

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Landscape Photoblog
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 12:01:29 AM »

No. An aperture that size will not be sharp. Everything will have the same focus, maybe, but it will not be sharp.
In landscape photography, when you shoot is more important than where.

Gear: Canon 5DmkII, 17-40mm f/4 L, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/4.

NWPhil

• EOS M2
  • one eye; one shot - multiple misses
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 11:20:05 AM »

Let us know when brides start requesting you to shoot with a Lytro plenoptic camera...  :P

had to look at that on the web - pretty cool concept.

I envision that one day, the digital cameras will take pictures in some sort of 3D vectorizing plane, allowing to choose the DOF in PP, just like it's possible to do with exposure, adjusting it thru lighting and curves parameters
Canon shooter, but anything goes as ammunition (L, non L, Zeiss, Leica, Rokinon,Sigma)

KreutzerPhotography

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 12:14:52 PM »
Cool thought... It is important as photographers to stay ahead of the game... but his point is valad... how many people use iphone cameras with the vintage camera aps. the filters that are added to these "photos" (snapshots) are just "problems" with vintage film. and what they looked like as the film/prints would age.

I dont know that I'd expect deep DOF to be what will be desired in the future but the thought of creating an image that looks great at deep DOF could be a practice that could improve your photography and earn you clients.

This is a place that I am at in my photography. I am not used to WA lenses and have recently challenged myself to start shooting on my 16-35 (crop body). I feel "limited" by this lens but it is making me think more about every photo rather than snaping of a bunch of shots and hoping for the best...

Does anyone else have any "practices" they do to keep themselves on their toes?

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 12:35:31 PM »

had to look at that on the web - pretty cool concept.

I envision that one day, the digital cameras will take pictures in some sort of 3D vectorizing plane, allowing to choose the DOF in PP, just like it's possible to do with exposure, adjusting it thru lighting and curves parameters

It'd be nice if they could get it to work well at fast shutter speeds.  Want an HDR?  Just process 1 shot and let the software deal with the math from near to far.

NWPhil

• EOS M2
  • one eye; one shot - multiple misses
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 02:23:13 PM »
Cool thought... It is important as photographers to stay ahead of the game... but his point is valad... how many people use iphone cameras with the vintage camera aps. the filters that are added to these "photos" (snapshots) are just "problems" with vintage film. and what they looked like as the film/prints would age.

I dont know that I'd expect deep DOF to be what will be desired in the future but the thought of creating an image that looks great at deep DOF could be a practice that could improve your photography and earn you clients.

This is a place that I am at in my photography. I am not used to WA lenses and have recently challenged myself to start shooting on my 16-35 (crop body). I feel "limited" by this lens but it is making me think more about every photo rather than snaping of a bunch of shots and hoping for the best...

- using a manual focus lens - not just switching off the AF button
- leaving the zoom lenses at home
- taking "only" two lenses while out-and-about
Canon shooter, but anything goes as ammunition (L, non L, Zeiss, Leica, Rokinon,Sigma)

briansquibb

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 02:59:20 PM »

- using a manual focus lens - not just switching off the AF button
- leaving the zoom lenses at home
- taking "only" two lenses while out-and-about

+1 Manual focus - tse-24, my was of choice
+1 Sometimes
+1 usually 3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 02:59:20 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 12:00:45 AM »
Many or even most people have a point and shoot camera with a small sensor, and a huge depth of field.  I've bought little used DSLR's from many who just felt that it was out of focus due to the shallow depth of field, they preferred the everything in focus look.

So, I think you might be right, the average casual point and shoot person has been trained to expect everything to be in focus, and they are uncomfortable to the point of thinking something is defective with a shallow depth of field.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 12:28:26 AM »
Many or even most people have a point and shoot camera with a small sensor, and a huge depth of field.  I've bought little used DSLR's from many who just felt that it was out of focus due to the shallow depth of field, they preferred the everything in focus look.

So, I think you might be right, the average casual point and shoot person has been trained to expect everything to be in focus, and they are uncomfortable to the point of thinking something is defective with a shallow depth of field.

of couse they will also be used to it all being soft, lacking contrast with piles of CA and noise too :D
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 12:28:26 AM »