August 29, 2014, 08:15:23 AM

Author Topic: Advice for checking a used 5Dmk2  (Read 1400 times)

Halfrack

• 6D
    • View Profile
Advice for checking a used 5Dmk2
« on: April 05, 2012, 01:59:10 PM »
With all the new mk3's out there, I'm going to snag a used mk2 on the cheap (and I won't be the only one).  What advice or process would you use to look at a used body?  Shutter count doesn't really matter if the unit was mainly a video rig.  Checking for hot pixels is key, but how can I test a camera in 10-15min prior to handing over $1,600 cash?
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

canon rumors FORUM

Advice for checking a used 5Dmk2
« on: April 05, 2012, 01:59:10 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for checking a used 5Dmk2
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 11:18:57 PM »
I doubt if you could adequately test one, there can be intermittent issues and issues that are hard to find.  I think $1600 is too much myself.  Its a risk.  Lots of bodies have hot pixels, but determining how hot is going to require some testing.  I'd try to get a refurb or new body that you can return if its not right, and has a warranty so they will repair it if you discover a issue after a few weeks.  This is something you will want to use for years, and not buy into someones misery.

JerryKnight

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 11:21:32 PM »
Apart from obvious wear & tear, if you can get an accurate shutter count, you'll have some idea how much it's been used and how much life the shutter probably has. I don't know the expected shutter life on the 5D2. Maybe someone who knows can tell us.

The utility I've always found in Google searches is this:

http://astrojargon.net/40dshuttercount.aspx

Not sure if you could use it on the spot or just have the seller look it up for you.

Tcapp

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Capp Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 01:26:34 AM »
Apart from obvious wear & tear, if you can get an accurate shutter count, you'll have some idea how much it's been used and how much life the shutter probably has. I don't know the expected shutter life on the 5D2. Maybe someone who knows can tell us.

The utility I've always found in Google searches is this:

http://astrojargon.net/40dshuttercount.aspx

Not sure if you could use it on the spot or just have the seller look it up for you.

150k is the expected life.
5DIII, 5DII, 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 2x TC III, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 100 Macro 2.8, 24 1.4 L
http://www.TimothyCapp.com
Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timothy-Capp-Photography/94664798952

Halfrack

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 02:11:01 PM »
After watching some interesting bits in a local camera store - sales guy with an xacto knife near the exposed sensor - taking my sensor loop is a good start.  Also taking a few shots of a blue sky at f22 to see if anything else is impacting things.  Burst mode shots, AI Servo shots.

Any publicly available 'stolen gear' list I can check?  A box is a sure sign of a proper sale - but last thing I want to do is pick up a stolen one.
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 03:27:39 PM »
After watching some interesting bits in a local camera store - sales guy with an xacto knife near the exposed sensor - taking my sensor loop is a good start.  Also taking a few shots of a blue sky at f22 to see if anything else is impacting things.  Burst mode shots, AI Servo shots.

Any publicly available 'stolen gear' list I can check?  A box is a sure sign of a proper sale - but last thing I want to do is pick up a stolen one.

You can usually tell a stolen camera, they do not give you a address and do not have the original box, manuals, receipts etc, just what they grabbed out of someone's car or residence.

I'd recommend buying a refurb with warranty, or a new one while the Canon discount is going.  $1400 for refurbs using the Canon CLP when they have them.

Tcapp

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Capp Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 02:28:12 AM »

You can usually tell a stolen camera, they do not give you a address and do not have the original box, manuals, receipts etc, just what they grabbed out of someone's car or residence.

I'd recommend buying a refurb with warranty, or a new one while the Canon discount is going.  $1400 for refurbs using the Canon CLP when they have them.

I was robbed at gun point in my home a year ago jan, and they took everything. They tried to sell my gear to another photographer. That other photographer found my biz card in the bag along with a client contract contract so he called me up and I told him what had happened. He suspected it was stolen because the camera was dirty. If someone is selling a high end camera, they are going to clean it up really nice. If it looks dirty, that should be a red flag. Also, of course, if you see a biz card in something someone is trying to sell you, MAJOR red flag!!

FYI thanks to this honest, awesome photographer, who is now my friend, the a-holes who did this to me are rotting in jail. Hopefully for a long, long time.

And yes, I got (almost) all my stuff back. :)
5DIII, 5DII, 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 2x TC III, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 100 Macro 2.8, 24 1.4 L
http://www.TimothyCapp.com
Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timothy-Capp-Photography/94664798952

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 02:28:12 AM »