October 21, 2014, 04:48:39 PM

Author Topic: Odds & Ends [Various]  (Read 7249 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Odds & Ends [Various]
« on: May 29, 2012, 10:58:34 AM »
New Firmware [CR2]
A mention of a new “important” firmware for the 5D Mark III was mentioned as coming sometime in June. No mention of what would be “fixed” or added to the camera.

Mirrorless [CR2]
More mentions of a mirrorless announcement in June. Launching with 3 lenses with a public “roadmap” of what would coming for the system down the road.

Photokina [CR1]
A few other mentions that Canon would make a “big splash” for Photokina in September. If the mirrorless is already available, not sure what that would be.

On a Photokina note, I’ll be there in Cologne to check out the new wares from Canon and the rest.

EF 24-70 f/2.8L II Availability
The lens will be available in July from a few people. There is “no risk of more delays”. Initial stock will be good, but there will obviously be backorder lists for a while.

Preorder at B&H & Adorama

cr

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 11:00:48 AM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Odds & Ends [Various]
« on: May 29, 2012, 10:58:34 AM »

kpk1

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Odds & Ends [Various]
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 11:08:09 AM »
The big splash would be the new afordable FF body or the highest megapixel body.
For the last few years Canon strategy really sucks; so no more big splash.
If you'd ask me, the big splash would be a new increase of prices.
5D2, Sigy 35/1.4

Ricku

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 02:09:18 PM »
Lets hope that "the big splash" is a new sensor with greatly improved DR capabilities. Something to match or even beat the D800 sensor.

If it is over 35MP, that would also be great, but not very important. The important thing right now is that Canon wakes up and get their act together when it comes to sensor advancements, especially low ISO read noise.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 02:19:16 PM by Ricku »

Ricku

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 02:19:54 PM »
I'm glad to see that the mirrorless rumor has moved up to [CR2]-level.

Fingers crossed for a full frame model! (Not very likely to happen, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed anyway.)

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 02:20:49 PM »
If you'd ask me, the big splash would be a new increase of prices.

Maybe Canon will send me a bill for $250 for the 5D3 I bought in March as part of their price increase strategy.
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

seta666

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 03:13:22 PM »
I'm glad to see that the mirrorless rumor has moved up to [CR2]-level.

Fingers crossed for a full frame model! (Not very likely to happen, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed anyway.)

That would be nice but it is highly unlikely to happen. All mirrorless cameras share a crappy AF system, only leica makes mirrorless FF cameras because it is a tyrue MF rangefinder.

I would be happy if this canon mirrorles had a good APS-C sensor (like D7000, not the old crappy 18mpx canon one). If it uses the G1X sensor I will pass and get a NEX instead and the 400$ Metabones NEX to EOS adapter.

I want this mirrorless camera to use it in the field/studio with canon 100 macro and MP-E

Regards
Javier

lonebear

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 03:51:58 PM »

A few other mentions that Canon would make a “big splash” for Photokina in September. If the mirrorless is already available, not sure what that would be.

On a Photokina note, I’ll be there in Cologne to check out the new wares from Canon and the rest.

"Big splash", will it be a 24MP aps-h 7D successor? If true, that will be a direct response to d800 & the rumored d600.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 03:55:06 PM by lonebear »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 03:51:58 PM »

Ricku

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 04:19:13 PM »
"Big splash", will it be a 24MP aps-h 7D successor? If true, that will be a direct response to d800 & the rumored d600.
You are kidding, right?

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 05:11:17 PM »
big splash would be an absolutely fantastic FF mirrorless with
* greatly new 24 MP FF sesnor with 15 EV DR and no banding whatsoever at base ISO 100
* hi-ISO up to native 6400 better than 5D 3
* hybrid viewfinder [similar to what Fuji could not quite pull off in the X-Pro1]
* hybrid AF system (Phase-Detect in sensor plane + Contrast AF - similar to Nikon 1, but even more responsive & better tracking AF; AF anywhere in the frame on Multitouch-LCD screen]
* 6 fps; 99 shots RAW buffer (after all memory is dirt cheap)
* price for body less than 3k USD/Euro
* electrified Leica M-mount - compatible with all M-lenses [100% free - since patent protection for M-mount has expired!]
* fully AF-capable M-EF/EFS-adapter included at no extra cost in package
* 3 fantastic, ultara-compact new USM-AF Zooms (w/ ultrashort flange distance) - 15-30mm/2.8 IS, 24-60mm/2.8 IS, 24-120mm/4 IS - optically excellent ... and priced at less than 2.5k a piece 

THAT would be what I call a big splash ... :-)

What will likely come? A crappy consumer-oriented mirrorless based on the crappy small 4:3 G1X sensor and a useless cheap optical viewfinder (like all powershot Gxx) and some boring, medicore consumer kit-lenses ...

Ricku

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 05:56:05 PM »
big splash would be an absolutely fantastic FF mirrorless with
* greatly new 24 MP FF sesnor with 15 EV DR and no banding whatsoever at base ISO 100
* hi-ISO up to native 6400 better than 5D 3
* hybrid viewfinder [similar to what Fuji could not quite pull off in the X-Pro1]
* hybrid AF system (Phase-Detect in sensor plane + Contrast AF - similar to Nikon 1, but even more responsive & better tracking AF; AF anywhere in the frame on Multitouch-LCD screen]
* 6 fps; 99 shots RAW buffer (after all memory is dirt cheap)
* price for body less than 3k USD/Euro
* electrified Leica M-mount - compatible with all M-lenses [100% free - since patent protection for M-mount has expired!]
* fully AF-capable M-EF/EFS-adapter included at no extra cost in package
* 3 fantastic, ultara-compact new USM-AF Zooms (w/ ultrashort flange distance) - 15-30mm/2.8 IS, 24-60mm/2.8 IS, 24-120mm/4 IS - optically excellent ... and priced at less than 2.5k a piece 

THAT would be what I call a big splash ... :-)

What will likely come? A crappy consumer-oriented mirrorless based on the crappy small 4:3 G1X sensor and a useless cheap optical viewfinder (like all powershot Gxx) and some boring, medicore consumer kit-lenses ...
Yup! I'd buy that camera in a hart beat!

Sad part is that a camera with these specs CAN be made but WON'T be made, just because of silly market segmentation and fear that it will eat DSLR sales.

MazV-L

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 07:19:49 PM »
Okay, so my 5Diii arrived yesterday, complete with Firmware update 1.1.2 and light leak and DPP software fix. So is there going to be yet another Firmware update so soon :o

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 07:22:02 PM »
New firmware! please let us program the rate button to enable bracketing ala 1D series
APS-H Fanboy

lonebear

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 08:44:38 PM »
You are kidding, right?

No, I am not kidding. This is something I read from all the tea leaves in the 7DII rumor archive.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 08:44:38 PM »

John Thomas

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 04:05:15 AM »
Okay, so my 5Diii arrived yesterday, complete with Firmware update 1.1.2 and light leak and DPP software fix. So is there going to be yet another Firmware update so soon :o

God bless them for these! Only to continue in this manner...

Well, perhaps is better to stress that the reality has changed. Nowadays cameras are much more complex than any human (closed) team can handle. The usage cases can be much different from what the design team imagine and the interactions between different camera subsystems are much more complex than several years ago.

Others have also some problems, too. See, for example:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/05/29/Nikon-updates-firmware-D4-D800-D800E-
(see also the comments)

http://nikonrumors.com/forum/topic.php?id=5517
(scroll down to see how many links they post)

I think that's the time to accept the reality and try to improve it. Ok, it would be better to have everything perfect from the beginning - but this just isn't possible practically.

just my2c,

JohnnTh

c.d.embrey

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 04:22:35 AM »
Sure hope the three mirrorless lenses aren't all low quality variable aperture zoomz.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 04:22:35 AM »