August 29, 2014, 06:22:08 PM

Author Topic: Odds & Ends [Various]  (Read 6988 times)

MazV-L

Re: Odds & Ends [Various]
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 09:16:21 AM »
Okay, so my 5Diii arrived yesterday, complete with Firmware update 1.1.2 and light leak and DPP software fix. So is there going to be yet another Firmware update so soon :o

God bless them for these! Only to continue in this manner...

Well, perhaps is better to stress that the reality has changed. Nowadays cameras are much more complex than any human (closed) team can handle. The usage cases can be much different from what the design team imagine and the interactions between different camera subsystems are much more complex than several years ago.

Others have also some problems, too. See, for example:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/05/29/Nikon-updates-firmware-D4-D800-D800E-
(see also the comments)

http://nikonrumors.com/forum/topic.php?id=5517
(scroll down to see how many links they post)

I think that's the time to accept the reality and try to improve it. Ok, it would be better to have everything perfect from the beginning - but this just isn't possible practically.

just my2c,

JohnnTh
Having to send the 5Diii to Canon every time there's a firmware update will be a real pain in the neck, but that is what they recommend  :(

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 09:16:21 AM »

flangad

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 10:04:11 AM »
Do you really think the market and customers need one more proprietary/specific mirorless format?

The only interesting thing if Canon join Mirrorless would be to see they join micro 4/3 group, even i doubt this could happen.
This would stregthen considerably this format (so this would vallue the Panasonic and Olympus offer, but also this new Canon offer, compared with all other competitors), and Canon users of a Canon micro4/3 body could benefit for the wide range of quality lenses yet available on the market. Canon would not have to develop a complete range of lense for the launch of their product but can do that little by little.

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2012, 12:30:53 PM »
Do you really think the market and customers need one more proprietary/specific mirorless format?

The only interesting thing if Canon join Mirrorless would be to see they join micro 4/3 group, even i doubt this could happen.
This would stregthen considerably this format (so this would vallue the Panasonic and Olympus offer, but also this new Canon offer, compared with all other competitors), and Canon users of a Canon micro4/3 body could benefit for the wide range of quality lenses yet available on the market. Canon would not have to develop a complete range of lense for the launch of their product but can do that little by little.
The sensor of Micro 4/3 is too small for "serious work".  APS_C is the minimum size.  Most of the people in this forum talks about smalleer size,  easy to carry, etc. So one or two prime lens will be the outfit for mirrorless.  So Canon  can start out with one prime, one wide angle and one medium telephoto (portrait lens) and see which way the wind blows. Camera manufacturer make mre money on lens than camera. So why should Canon give up the more profitable part??

c.d.embrey

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 01:15:52 PM »

The sensor of Micro 4/3 is too small for "serious work".  APS_C is the minimum size. 

Editorial and advertising aren't serious work ??? I didn't know that.

Bob Dylan said:

"Your old road is
Rapidly agin'
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand
For the times they are a-changin'."

John Thomas

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 01:52:55 PM »
Okay, so my 5Diii arrived yesterday, complete with Firmware update 1.1.2 and light leak and DPP software fix. So is there going to be yet another Firmware update so soon :o

Well, perhaps is better to stress that the reality has changed. Nowadays cameras are much more complex than any human (closed) team can handle. The usage cases can be much different from what the design team imagine and the interactions between different camera subsystems are much more complex than several years ago.

(see also the comments)

I think that's the time to accept the reality and try to improve it. Ok, it would be better to have everything perfect from the beginning - but this just isn't possible practically.

just my2c,

JohnnTh
Having to send the 5Diii to Canon every time there's a firmware update will be a real pain in the neck, but that is what they recommend  :(

?!?!

Why??

You can update the firmware by yourself. The proces is quite straightforward, as you should know, - just to have a changed battery and patience to not touch the camera till the firmware update process is finished.

There are plenty of photographers which download the firware and apply by themselves.

HTH

John Th.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2012, 03:37:04 PM »

(see also the comments)

just my2c,

JohnnTh

?!?!

Why??

You can update the firmware by yourself. The proces is quite straightforward, as you should know, - just to have a changed battery and patience to not touch the camera till the firmware update process is finished.

There are plenty of photographers which download the firware and apply by themselves.

HTH

John Th.

You beat me to it...  do it yourself via canons website... doesn't take more than 2-3 minutes
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

MazV-L

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2012, 09:55:05 PM »

(see also the comments)

just my2c,

JohnnTh

?!?!

Why??

HTH

John Th.

You beat me to it...  do it yourself via canons website... doesn't take more than 2-3 minutes
Sorry, I've never bothered about Firmware updates on previous Dslrs so excuse my ignorance, I thought it was just something you could download yourself too but when I rang Canon to check my particular 5Diii copy was all up to date the Canon employee told me he recommended I send it in for any updates, not try to do so myself.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2012, 09:55:05 PM »

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2012, 10:37:17 PM »

(see also the comments)

just my2c,

JohnnTh

?!?!

Why??

HTH

John Th.

Sorry, I've never bothered about Firmware updates on previous Dslrs so excuse my ignorance, I thought it was just something you could download yourself too but when I rang Canon to check my particular 5Diii copy was all up to date the Canon employee told me he recommended I send it in for any updates, not try to do so myself.

Download the firmware, copy to card, insert card in camera, go into firmware in camera and upgrade, just make sure your battery is 25% or more to last 2-3 minutes. Voila, its done. So easy a caveman can do it.
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

John Thomas

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2012, 02:43:54 AM »
Download the firmware, copy to card, insert card in camera, go into firmware in camera and upgrade, just make sure your battery is 25% or more to last 2-3 minutes. Voila, its done. So easy a caveman can do it.

Yes, we are cavemen 8) - but I think that  MazV-L raised an interesting point: The attitude of (some) Canon employees which in this case is acting like a brake in cavemen's approach to the fire (with all the meanings of this metaphor).

However, I think that Canon should improve the process of learning the phtographers to be more inventive and to have an attitude of continous improvement, knowing that they will receive something as a reward (ie. a better firmware with bugfixes, features etc.).

The product lifecycle for a pro/flagship camera is big and, price drops/rebates aside, only through firmware improvements they will keep the sales up and the customers close.

just my2c,

JohnTh

Gcon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2012, 10:05:53 AM »
"
EF 24-70 f/2.8L II Availability
The lens will be available in July from a few people.
"
Ah I first read this as "for a few people", thinking - I wonder who those three lucky people are?! :o

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2012, 10:05:53 AM »