September 15, 2014, 12:07:44 AM

Author Topic: New Firmware for MkIII [CR2]  (Read 2393 times)

Pieces Of E

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon owners and operators
    • View Profile
    • Pieces Of E, LLC
New Firmware for MkIII [CR2]
« on: May 29, 2012, 11:29:36 AM »
Any mention of a new firmware update for the 7D? That rumour was thrown out a few weeks back and no word since. Just wondering if it's gonna happen or not. Thanx.
EOS 7D, BG-E7, EF 300L IS f4, EF 100L IS f2.8 macro, EF 24-105L IS f4 , EF 1.4 extender MKIII, EF-S 10-22 f3.5-5.6, 70-200L IS f2.8 II, EOS-M, 22 f2 STM, EF-S 18-135 IS STM, EF 85 f1.8

canon rumors FORUM

New Firmware for MkIII [CR2]
« on: May 29, 2012, 11:29:36 AM »

CanonCollector

Re: New Firmware for MkIII [CR2]
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 01:11:10 PM »
I think Canon has updated the 7D firmware as much as necessary for excellent performance. All new pushes will probably be for a replacement camera and getting people to move up by purchasing it. I can't see why they would add functionality now to a product that is over 3 years old.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 01:15:23 PM »
IIRC, the update is required for compatibility with the GP-E2 geotagging accessory.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Hesham

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 01:51:19 AM »
Any mention of a new firmware update for the 7D? That rumour was thrown out a few weeks back and no word since. Just wondering if it's gonna happen or not. Thanx.

Why have MkIII in the title, then ask about 7D >:(

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 01:54:25 AM »
I dare bet if Canon solves the illuminating focus point on the 5dm3 then they will release the fix for the 7d.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 02:00:20 AM »
I dare bet if Canon solves the illuminating focus point on the 5dm3 then they will release the fix for the 7d.

I've had my 7D for nearly 2 years now, and I never even knew it was a 'problem' until the 5D3 whingers started complaining about every button and feature they could think of...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 05:21:16 AM »
I've had my 7D for nearly 2 years now, and I never even knew it was a 'problem' until the 5D3 whingers started complaining about every button and feature they could think of...
Aww Dr Croubie...most 5D3 posters are not that bad! Mostly just a bit passionate about a design variation, ergonomic characteristic or GUI design decision that gets in the way of an uninterrupted workflow. Photographers who have lost shots because of the black focus points are numerous and have a valid viewpoint. The fact that the issue is not affecting everyone does not make it a non-issue. Chuck Westfall from Canon USA openly acknowledges the black focus points as something that needs attention, and pointed to a potential firmware solution.

There may be a few disgruntled photographers who have sent back their 5D3 bodies, but most of us are just loving the camera and what it can do. Once you strip away the emotion and  the dogma you'll find genuinely interested people who have suggestions on how to make a very good camera better.

Who wouldn't want the Rate button be able to do half a dozen more useful things, or have the choice of red or black focus points? If it's possible and practical in firmware, bring it on!

PW

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 05:21:16 AM »

bkorcel

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 04:20:39 PM »
With an LCD viewfinder overlay its going to be next ot impossible for the focus points to light up like on the 60D.  Any possible solution will likely be a full on red backlight which if that is turned on you probobly wont be able to see what you're shooting in low light..so either the focus point or the subject.

But I agree that complaints of any type are important..complaining here..not so.  Better to whine to Canon about the issues than to us that already know about the problems.  There are also a GREAT number of good posts in here to pick up tips and tricks.  I've been over the manual several times now...YES I did actually read it 3 times...and still never picked up on the fact that you can program the SET button on the back so when you hold it in you can scroll the top wheel to change ISO settings...but sure enough it's in the manual.  There are so many useful configurations, most of which no one has reported...or are keeping it to themselves.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 04:20:39 PM »