October 23, 2014, 08:27:46 AM

Author Topic: Considering an EOS 35mm (film) body  (Read 5991 times)

msdarkroom

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Considering an EOS 35mm (film) body
« on: May 30, 2012, 10:21:50 AM »
Does anybody have any tips or advice on either the EOS-1V or the EOS-3? I'm looking at purchasing one of them.
Do they work with the same lenses that the 5D works with?
Ebay okay to buy from, or would you recommend elsewhere?

Thanks.

-MS

canon rumors FORUM

Considering an EOS 35mm (film) body
« on: May 30, 2012, 10:21:50 AM »

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Considering an EOS 35mm (film) body
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 12:30:19 PM »
I don't know much about the EOS-3, but I know the EOS-1V is compatible with all of Canon's EF lenses, according to Canon's website.  I've not used either.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 12:46:22 PM »
Update, both are compatible with all EF lenses.  EOS-3 can still be purchased used that I saw, and EOS-1V new at Adorama and B&H.  A new 1V is still $1699!
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

drjlo

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 04:54:36 PM »
I had both EOS-1v and EOS-3.  Both are pure awesomeness, but I sold the 1v as it fetches more money and kept the 3 with optional grip.  They work with current EF lenses (see the photo with my 70-200 II), and while 1v has better weather-sealing with faster FPS, EOS-3's AF and FPS gets better with the optional battery grip, too, and it can be bought much cheaper.  In addition, EOS-3 has the cool eye-controlled focus that actually works well.

Here's an EOS-3 review.
http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/canon_eos3.htm

IMG_7602 by drjlo1, on Flickr

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 10:44:28 PM »
I LOVE film, and was actually considering buying a new EOS-1V from Adorama once.  But then I figured, if I get the shot wrong, I got it wrong and nothing you can do about like you can now.  Of course, shots I get wrong I throw away anyways, despite Photoshop and RAW processing.  It's a tough one because you buy and develop film too.  But I'm sure the images are wonderful.  Maybe when I become insane in another area besides 50mm lenses (I have 50L, 50 1.4, AND 50 1.8 II), and become an insane camera collector, I'll buy one.  Reading reviews it looked like it'd be worth it to buy the EOS-3 because the reviews were about the same, but the price was much cheaper.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 10:57:33 PM »
i went with a cheaper option of the elan 7, you can get them for under $100
they use the same sensor as the more expensive models ;)

all plastic though and have the cool eye control focus stuff

all the lenses work on it
APS-H Fanboy

RunAndGun

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 11:29:13 PM »
I just picked up an EOS-3 a few weeks ago from a guy on Amazon.  Almost flawless condition for $199.  Everything seems to work just fine, including the eye-controlled focus, but I still haven't had a chance to run any film through it.  I will say that it feels like a toy, though.  The body (external) is plastic.  The shutter definitely has a unique sound compared to my 5D MKIII and II's. ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 11:29:13 PM »

Hillsilly

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 11:34:22 PM »
All Canon eos film SLR camera's take the same lenses as the 5D.  Photonotes.org is a good site for comparing different models. As mentioned, they all use the same sensor, so its just a question of choosing the right feature set - frames per second, eye control, number of focus points, weather sealing etc.

Very few people have problems buying on ebay.  KEH, Adoama, B & H etc also sell used gear and often at good prices.

I'm a 7e (AKA eso 30) user.  No complaints - Its a good little camera.  But if someone offered to swap an eos 3 for it, I'd take the 3 in an instant.  I think the 3 will be the long term collectors item and is the one to get.   
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 11:42:19 PM »
The thing to watch out for on ebay is the guy who was given a camera found stashed away in grandpa's closet for 15 years, and has no clue as to whether it works or not.

Get one from sombody who has tested it and gives you return rights if it doesn't work.  Pay with a credit card, and, if the deal goes sour, you can charge back as a last resort.

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 11:50:06 PM »
I got my EOS 3 a few weeks ago, i've already run a roll of expired film through it, and half a roll of Tmax 400.
It takes all EF lenses (not EF-s of course), full autofocus and everything.
45pt AF, with f/8 focussing in the middle (it works with my 70-300L and Kenko 1.4x, sometimes it misses because the AF speed is the same as without the TC, but that's the Kenko's fault, not the camera).
AF-Spot-linked metering (for 11-points) also isn't available anywhere else but the 1-series.

I got it instead of the 1V basically because of the eye-control Focus, and they go for $200 or less, a 1V can be $4-500. Otherwise there's not much difference between them, the 1V is better sealed (no idea how much though) and has higher fps (I always shoot high-speed on my 7D, but single-shot on my 3, no wasting film).
Mine cost me 91GBP + 27 shipping, from a real shop in the UK offering warranty and all, via ebay (i just checked, they don't have any others listed or i'd have linked them).

Also, I've got an Ed-Mika'd FL 55/1.2, aparently the rear element hits the mirror of 5D etc, but it's perfectly fine on my 3 (as it is for 1-series, something about thinner mirror-mounts)

In short, it's the only EOS 1/1D/1Ds series camera to not have a '1' in its name...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 12:40:00 AM »
Here's a good resource to compare canon models (film and digital):

http://photonotes.org/reviews/1-1N-3-1V/

Responding to an earlier comment of the EOS-3 being a plasticky/ toy... I believe it has a metal frame under the plastic.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 01:15:23 AM »
Responding to an earlier comment of the EOS-3 being a plasticky/ toy... I believe it has a metal frame under the plastic.

I was going to say something about that too. Maybe it's because it's newer styling or whatever, but my 7D feels more like a toy than the 3, kind of like driving a 70s muscle car made of metal compared to a korean plastic sports car (although both are waaay ahead of a 550D, and probably both way behind a 1DX)
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

drjlo

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 04:05:37 AM »
I just held the EOS-3 with battery grip again, and it feels darn solid to me.  I do still sometimes miss my 1v.  Hey, I just found the Elan-7N in the closet, too..

eos1v by drjlo1, on Flickr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 04:05:37 AM »

BillyBean

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 05:42:16 AM »
I can highly recommend the EOS-3. It's a truly great camera in my view. Robust, weather-sealed (up to a point), and accepts all EF lenses (not EF-S).

It has eye-control focus, though that's easy to switch off if you don't use it. The spot meter can be linked to the eye-selected focus point, which works very well in contrasty light situations.

The exposures are spot on, and I find it a delight to use. I've recently upgraded to a 5D mark III, which feels roughly the same in terms of build quality and general usage, though even that doesn't have all the EOS3's features...

They are about £100 on ebay in the UK, and I would recommend the PB-E2 battery grip, which accelerates the FPS to 7 frames a second - faster than the 5D mark III, as well as providing portrait operation and additional battery options.

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 06:56:45 AM »
I shoot regularly with the 1-V, and it's an exciting camera to use.  It feels more 'pro' in the hand than my new 5D Mark III, and shares many of the features of the 1DS series cameras like f/8 autofocussing (as does the EOS 3) and super fast shutter blackout times.

If you can find one for a reasonable price, you won't regret the purchase.  I bought mine, used, 4 years ago for the equivalent of US$300-$350.  It's heavy, and when paired with a heavy lens like the 24-70mm f/2.8, can be a real back-breaker if you have to carry it around for long periods.
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 06:56:45 AM »