November 20, 2014, 04:30:49 PM

Author Topic: Need a Back up Body  (Read 884 times)

Wilmark

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Wilmark Johnatty Photography
Need a Back up Body
« on: May 30, 2012, 01:04:16 PM »
I recently sold my 7d to buy a 5D Mk3. I need to have a backup body with the type of photography i am doing (I do more event, journalistic and people type photography with some nature), and i dont know what to do. I want another FF body buy i cannot afford another 5D M3, Besides i feel canon ripped us off in terms of how expensive the 5D Mk3 is. The 5D Mk2 is an option, but i have heard so many horror stories about the focusing is that i wonder whether to wait for one of the new FF bodies we are talking about. I absolutely hate the 7D, i think it is tantamount to a 'pig' with lipstick. With the 7D i dislike its ISO performance in low light and the overall IQ and i refuse to go that rout again with  a body with that particular APC sensor for 1700$. Maybe a Rebel 2ti or 3ti? It is really a difficult time to be the owner of Canon Glass.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 01:08:21 PM by Wilmark »

canon rumors FORUM

Need a Back up Body
« on: May 30, 2012, 01:04:16 PM »

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Need a Back up Body
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 01:15:47 PM »
Hey, I know how you feel.  Just take a deep breath.  I have owned all 3, the 5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, and 7D.  I learned to use all 3 and loved all 3 once I did this.  I did sell my 5D Mark II and 7D to get a new 1D Mark IV.  The reason I mention that is, I did not get rid of those two because of anything negative.  I'm not the guy to ask about post-processing software, as you may have seen some of my posts regarding that, but, I think I can offer a solid opinion here.  If I were you, personally I'd get the 5D Mark II as back up.  But, what is it that you shoot?  Do you need fast action, fast autofocus?  Well, in general, the 5D Mark II's AF system is not nearly as bad as you might think or have read.  Remember, the only people posting about the AF performance are the ones who can't figure it out.  Just like I was the only one who complained about LR 4, because I was the one who couldn't figure it out.  Put it in AI Servo mode and use the center AF point and you're GREAT.  I shot a lot of railfan photography with the 5D Mark II and as long as my shutter speed was 1/500, they were in focus and tack sharp.  In other words, nonesense.  Once you get the AF figured out, IQ is just as good as the Mark III and you won't regret that decision.  It is a gem of a camera and I'm personally going to get one as a 3rd camera, as a backup.  I really miss that camera.

Other scenerios, if you really don't trust the AF and just think you can't live with that, I once considered buying a 1D Mark III used as a backup sports camera, and could have bought one in great condition for $1700.  It's only 10mp though, so think about "blowing up" photos.  Also, the burst rate on the 5D Mark II is only 3.9, vs. much higher for 1D Mark III.  My advice is to keep your 5D Mark III and buy a 5D Mark II new from B&H as backup, test it out 30 days, and return if not satisfied.  A 5D Mark III/5D Mark II combo will cover everything and more. 
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Wilmark

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Wilmark Johnatty Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 01:34:37 PM »
Thanks for the response. That is one of the options i have considered. Unfortunately i live the Trinidad and cant order stuff and return it. I will try to borrow a Mkii and try it out for a day. I am hoping to hear some new announcements from canon, but i am afraid that the story will be the same about improved IQ - we will probably see a new APSC sensor with the famed "gapless micro lenses" that will be basically TSOS (the same old $hit) and more aggressive processing in camera. It boils down to living and working with the 5D Mkii focusing system.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 01:34:37 PM »