August 28, 2014, 09:38:03 AM

Author Topic: looking for camera backpack/sling for upcoming vacation  (Read 4254 times)

KKCFamilyman

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
looking for camera backpack/sling for upcoming vacation
« on: May 31, 2012, 11:05:23 PM »
Hello,
I am going to San Diego and disneyland soon and want to carry my gear on my trip. I have the following:
Canon 5d3
24-105 with hood
50mm 1.4 hood
70-200 f4 is with hood (buying soon)
extra battery
430 ex ii
270 ex ii

I was used to the lowe pro sling shot 102AW but since going full frame now everything is bigger. I need to be able to stash the camera and grab it when a photo op comes up quickly so I would need to be able to stow the worst case scenario 5d3 with 70-200. The only ones I have found are the lowe pro 302aw which seems so big for a sling or the fastpack 350 but does not seem so well received. I have looked at the flipside but it seems so hard to spin the bag around just to take out the camera.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
1Dx, 5D3, 16-35 f4 L IS, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

canon rumors FORUM

looking for camera backpack/sling for upcoming vacation
« on: May 31, 2012, 11:05:23 PM »

bpietrzak

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Re: looking for camera backpack/sling for upcoming vacation
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 12:36:38 AM »
I live in San Diego and went to Universal Studios in Orlando  :D

I use a Tamrac evolution to carry my stuff (MK III 24-105; ex430; 70-200; filter; battery...etc.) on the plane.  When it came time to hit the park, I take the III, a lens, flash and battery--leave the rest in the hotel room.

in other words, i pick what I will use and carry that--much lighter.  Actually, the extra space in the backpack is used for the junk the kids buy.

I also use the sun sling strap.

Its always tempting to want to carry everything but you rarely use everything.

enjoy San Diego

KKCFamilyman

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 10:50:04 PM »
Which evo do you use?
1Dx, 5D3, 16-35 f4 L IS, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

bpietrzak

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 03:11:34 AM »

s2kdriver80

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 03:05:49 PM »
I find shoulder bags the best for on-the-fly access. In a Crumpler 7 MDH bag, I can fit a 5D3 with 24-105 and hood attached, another 5D3 with 16-35 and hood attached, 70-200 f/4 IS and hood attached, 430EX II, filters, and small accessories like batteries, memory cards, wallet, mobile phone, etc.  I'm sure I could fit another small prime if I wanted to.  You can fit a 5D3 with a 70-200 f/4 IS attached in the 7 MDH, but without the hood or the hood has to be reversed.
-Paul
Canon EOS 5D Mark III x2 | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | Canon Speedlite 430EX II x2 | B+W filters | Black Rapid R-straps | Gitzo/Markins

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 05:32:49 PM »
Hello,
I am going to San Diego and disneyland soon and want to carry my gear on my trip. I have the following:
Canon 5d3
24-105 with hood
50mm 1.4 hood
extra battery
430 ex ii
270 ex ii

I was used to the lowe pro sling shot 102AW but since going full frame now everything is bigger. I need to be able to stash the camera and grab it when a photo op comes up quickly so I would need to be able to stow the worst case scenario 5d3 with 70-200. The only ones I have found are the lowe pro 302aw which seems so big for a sling or the fastpack 350 but does not seem so well received. I have looked at the flipside but it seems so hard to spin the bag around just to take out the camera.

I took just a 24mm & 50mm to our orlando trip with a 5D. Best decision ever, as I only had to think about framing for two FOV. Easy as pie. 8)

ud4steve

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 08:46:11 PM »
I personally use a Think Tank Digital Holster 20 and the Lens Changer 75.  The combination is light weight, can be used either on your belt or with the included shoulder strap, and allows me to carry my 17-40 or 70-200 on the camera in the holster with the other lens in the lens changer pouch.  Both of the bags also come with rain covers in the event you get caught in some wet weather.  Any more gear and i start thinking more about what to use rather than taking the picture.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 08:46:11 PM »

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 09:34:09 PM »
Hello,
Canon 5d3
24-105 with hood
50mm 1.4 hood
extra battery
430 ex ii
270 ex ii

So many bags and designs out there...I extensively researched bags for what i use them for and i too wanted a sling style, backpack bags aren't fun to hoist. I shoot sports and weddings and i primarily bought this for sports since i can pack it all in so nicely. Its nice when i travel to just slide my macbook pro in there and cut down on carrying bags. This bag from Think Tank is the perfect bag, no draw backs. Holds a laptop a chair and monopod in a side pocket and plenty of gear. I have been converted to check out Think Tank first now.
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/sling-o-matic-30.aspx
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 12:25:41 AM »
Hello,
Canon 5d3
24-105 with hood
50mm 1.4 hood
extra battery
430 ex ii
270 ex ii

How many times do you want to have this same thread????? You are wasting everybody's time,

@!ex

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 12:58:11 AM »
I have about 4-5 different packs, all of which have their plus and minuses.  As for a pack that can cary a lot, and be stylish I have yet to find one that really satisfied me, until I found this great bag on kickstarter (a website where people propose ideas and other back them with pledges that offer different things at different prices).  This project has already reached funding, so you'll be sure to get a pack if you pledge at least $160, which is a steal for a bag like this.

Check it out, the kickstarter ends tomorrow...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evanlane/langly-camera-bags-fashion-function

@!ex

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 01:01:31 AM »
Also, I just looked at the updates section of the kickstarter and he is adding removable tripod straps to the bottom of the pack.  even better.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evanlane/langly-camera-bags-fashion-function/posts

Waterdonkey

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 01:28:18 AM »
I was looking at F-Stop.  Many choices give them a try.  Timbuck2.com has a very nice Gobag or Messenger bag.

@!ex

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 01:32:18 AM »
I was looking at F-Stop.  Many choices give them a try.  Timbuck2.com has a very nice Gobag or Messenger bag.

I have a timbuck2 messenger bag with the camera insert (optional accessory).  Pretty nice for a daily commuter because I have the one with a padded laptop slot as well, also the camera insert comes out and I use it in a bunch of different bags...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 01:32:18 AM »

Heavyweight67

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 03:10:05 AM »
+1 @ Rocky

@ OP, I understand the need to seek advice regarding equipment, knowledge etc...

But, you really just have to "move on", go out and shoot, learn from experience and sometimes failures.
I'm really not sure what it is you're seeking on this forum, use what you currently have, make the most of it...Like many of us, we can research and ask questions, but what works for me may not work for you...

It seems that no matter what you buy, you will not be happy with it anyway, beacuse, there will always be something better...you also forgot to mention the G1x you either did or didn't purchase, that also needs a bag or strap.

Enjoy what you have, make the most of it, worry more about the experience of the time spent with your family, rather than looking at them through a lens.

Camerajah

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 03:33:35 AM »
Lowe Pro Fastpack 350
Canon bodies and not enough L lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 03:33:35 AM »