July 29, 2014, 07:21:25 AM

Author Topic: downward pressure on EF 24-70mm f/2.8 USM L pricing, Tamron's version tests well  (Read 7476 times)

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
I was actually hoping for even better performance from Tamron's new 24-70mm f/2.8 in the borders and bokeh from the originally published MTF charts but, considering the price, build quality and optical stabilization, this is likely to become a very good budget-minded choice for full-frame mid-range zoom.  It does beat the previous EF lens in most areas, the vII will be interesting to see tested.

Tamron test link below

www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/741-tamron2470f28eosff

canon rumors FORUM

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
History suggests that the new release of a premium high volume category product from Canon will remain premium priced for some time, most likely years. This will be the case with the 24-70 f/2.8II especially if it delivers on it's promises.  Look to long term pricing trends of the L70-200 f/2.8isII and the L16-35 f/2.8II as indicators. The new 24-70 is a lens that Canon will expect to see land in most professionals bags, plus a staggering number of cashed up, impatient enthusiasts who have been hungry for this lens for years.

I hope Tamron has a big winner on their hands with their new lens, but don't bet the farm on its effect on Canon pricing.

PW

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
I hope Tamron has a big winner on their hands with their new lens, but don't bet the farm on its effect on Canon pricing.

I guess it'll be the other way around: With the lack of other alternatives and the fact that Canon's 24-70ii will stay @$2000+ for a long time to come, the Tamron maybe won't see the usual price drop of 3rd party lenses after release... if people can work around the sharpness falloff of the Tamron on full frame and the mediocre quality control.

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
It could possibly affect the used price of the MK I. Not saying that it will be cheaper after the MKII hits the street but perhaps it won't increase in price as much as it is expected with the release of a much more expensive replacement.

On the other hand, perhaps Canon will continue selling the MKI which could be interesting.

Janco

On the other hand, perhaps Canon will continue selling the MKI which could be interesting.

Isn't it already officially discontinued?
http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/05/official-discontinued-list/
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 07:41:52 AM by Janco »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
It could possibly affect the used price of the MK I. Not saying that it will be cheaper after the MKII hits the street but perhaps it won't increase in price as much as it is expected with the release of a much more expensive replacement.

I'm not sure which way to look at this. One one hand, the expected large increase in numbers of pre-owned 24-70 f/2.8 MkI lenses on the market as photographers upgrade to the MkII may push down prices of the older lens. Basic supply & demand. On the other hand the high price of entry to the new lens may artificially boost achievable prices for pre-owned MkI lenses, especially as stocks of new MkI lenses evaporate.

If I was a second hand lens speculator/dealer I'd be tossing a coin whether to spill my stock of MkI glass now, or buy up where possible & hoard for a few months. Sheesh! Why am I even thinking about this? Does it matter?

PW

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Late nite post, I shoulda been more clear. :)
I'm thinking this could put significant downward pressure on the original version of Canon's lens.
The v II OEM product will likely be lapped up by those who have a need for it but the Tamron may make for an interestingly volatile market for the older Canon lens.
AND the Nikon version as well.  I may actually consider buying the Tamron in an F-mount since my EOS line is adequately covered for my needs in this range.
Time'll tell.

canon rumors FORUM

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
I'm thinking this could put significant downward pressure on the original version of Canon's lens.

Again, not necessarily: The distance to the mk2 is very large, and the Tamron's 24-70's af is not good as Canon's which might make a decisive difference to event photogs. So people wanting a Canon 2.8 mid-range zoom but not wanting to spend $2000+ might still go for the mk1 - thus demand will stay high even if supply will be somewhat higher than now.

drjlo

• 6D
    • View Profile

Again, not necessarily: The distance to the mk2 is very large, and the Tamron's 24-70's af is not good as Canon's which might make a decisive difference to event photogs.

The AF comparisons I've seen puts Tamrons AF speed/accuracy very close to Canon 24-70 mkI, and certainly "good enough" for event photography.  The MTF test from Photozone is actually a little better than I was expecting, and the great center sharpness at f/2.8 from about 35mm to 50mm bodes well for that critial range where 35mm and 50mm primes usually rule. 

I think a sensible event photog could EASILY produce fabulous photos for clients with this Tamron, and with the money saved from not buying the Canon 24-70 MkII, a nice, fast prime lens could be added to the bag.  And when lights go low during receptions, the IS on Tamron could spank the Canon 24-70 II no matter how much better the MTF may look in lab. 

I hope the stiff competition being put up by Tamron for lenses and Nikon for bodies will at least give pause to those Canon Exec's who seem hell-bent ONLY on pricing their gear as high as possible as they can get away with.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
AND the Nikon version as well.  I may actually consider buying the Tamron in an F-mount since my EOS line is adequately covered for my needs in this range.
Time'll tell.

I'm not sure it would put much pressure on the Nikon version, its pretty much inferior accross the board.  It does have lower CA's, but sharpness really is not close. Its not priced at much less either.  I was interested in seeing how it compared to the nikon 24-70G for my D800, but it would be a downgrade.

In the case of the old canon lens, it might be a better lens, but the focus shift bothers me, as you stop down, focus moves backward.  Doesn't do that on the Nikon version either.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 07:27:16 PM by Mt Spokane Photography »

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
And when lights go low during receptions, the IS on Tamron could spank the Canon 24-70 II no matter how much better the MTF may look in lab. 

That's the reason why Canon probably didn't put IS in the 24-70ii - what's low shutter speed good for when for shooting people 1/100+ is required? IS is certainly nice and helps composition, but it doesn't freeze the world around you. If you want to read more, look at the last pages of this thread for real world Tamron performance:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1145772&page=36

And when lights go low during I hope the stiff competition being put up by Tamron for lenses and Nikon for bodies will at least give pause to those Canon Exec's who seem hell-bent ONLY on pricing their gear as high as possible as they can get away with.

I'm hoping with you - maybe in the future, Canon might even include lens hoods on $800 non-L lenses or tripod rings on $1300 tele lenses?

cliffwang

• 6D
    • View Profile
That's the reason why Canon probably didn't put IS in the 24-70ii - what's low shutter speed good for when for shooting people 1/100+ is required? IS is certainly nice and helps composition, but it doesn't freeze the world around you.

+1
For me Canon 24-70 MK2 and Tamron 24-70 VC are in different market.
MK2 is for kind PRO shooting for events and high speed.
Tamron is more like all purpose workaround lens with very good, but not great IQ.

Actually I am more interested in Tamron because I am not a PRO and shoot a lot photo for my family.  VC is very important for me.
Canon 5D3 | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Sigma 50mm F/1.4 | Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 VC | Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MK2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro L | Canon Closed-up 500D | 430EX | Kenko 2x Teleplus Pro 300 | Manfrotto Tripod

picturesbyme

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • AtlanticPicture.com
Could you guys post some links to see some comparison of the Tamron and the Canon MK2?

Got the 24-70 v1 and I'm pretty happy with it (photo :) ), I think it's pretty sharp but if the Tamron is sharper than that (and has IS) I would sell my Canon in a heartbeat.
I have no brand loyalty when it comes to quality and all I care is the picture not the name written on the lens..

http://atlanticpicture.com/

canon rumors FORUM

cliffwang

• 6D
    • View Profile
Could you guys post some links to see some comparison of the Tamron and the Canon MK2?

MK2 is not released yet.

Got the 24-70 v1 and I'm pretty happy with it (photo :) ), I think it's pretty sharp but if the Tamron is sharper than that (and has IS) I would sell my Canon in a heartbeat.
I have no brand loyalty when it comes to quality and all I care is the picture not the name written on the lens..

I suggest you check this thread.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1145772
Many people are sharing their experiences there.

The biggest issue for this lens is onion bokeh.  If you are a PRO, I will say don't waste your time and go with MK2.  If you are not a PRO, you can get one from Amazon and try it.  If you like it, keep it.  Otherwise, just return it.  That's very easy to return a lens without any cost if you buy from Amazon.
Canon 5D3 | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Sigma 50mm F/1.4 | Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 VC | Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MK2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro L | Canon Closed-up 500D | 430EX | Kenko 2x Teleplus Pro 300 | Manfrotto Tripod

picturesbyme

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • AtlanticPicture.com

MK2 is not released yet.

I suggest you check this thread.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1145772
Many people are sharing their experiences there.

The biggest issue for this lens is onion bokeh.  If you are a PRO, I will say don't waste your time and go with MK2.  If you are not a PRO, you can get one from Amazon and try it.  If you like it, keep it.  Otherwise, just return it.  That's very easy to return a lens without any cost if you buy from Amazon.

I'm far from PRO I still have some non L lenses :) but the day will come :))
Thanks for the link, I'll wait to see some tests on that Tamron, I just don't get how many here know so much about this two lenses if there are barely any tests out with them??

canon rumors FORUM