September 02, 2014, 12:56:28 PM

Author Topic: Odds & Ends - Mirrorless [CR1]  (Read 9192 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Odds & Ends - Mirrorless [CR1]
« on: June 01, 2012, 06:26:54 AM »
A bit more mirrorless
There’s a general consensus that a mirrorless entry from Canon is coming in the month of June. I was told this week to expect a “well specced” mirrorless camera and a “couple” of lenses. Again, no mention of the mount.

Another mentioned not to expect a “pro” level mirrorless right away, but there are plans for a higher end model or two in the coming 12 months.

There will apparently be two “significant” announcements in June, we still suspect it will be the Rebel and a couple of lenses.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Odds & Ends - Mirrorless [CR1]
« on: June 01, 2012, 06:26:54 AM »

VASH1291

Re: Odds & Ends - Mirrorless [CR1]
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 07:24:59 AM »
Can't wait to see what Canon brings to the table  ;D

Neeneko

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 08:34:32 AM »
Can't wait to see what Canon brings to the table  ;D

Agreed, though I am guessing it is too much to hope that they put a new and interesting sensor in it.  I have a bad feeling it is going to be little more then a Rebel without a Mirror, which while it will likely make a reasonable entry will be unlikely to wow anyone, and unless its EF support is much better then the converters for other mirrorless bodies it will likely not be able to take advantage vendor lock in like their DSLRs.

SpareImp

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 09:32:55 AM »
I’m also looking forward to seeing what Canon is bringing to the table. I hope it has a built-in viewfinder. That alone will make it appealing to me, even if the specs are pretty much the same as other mirrorless cameras.

I previously had a Sony Nex C3, but it just didn’t feel right. Ended up selling it and buying a Fujifilm X10, which is great even though it’s a compact camera. Obviously, it doesn’t take any lenses at all, so an EF-compatible mount would be very interesting. Let’s hope it’s an option, at least.

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 09:36:30 AM »
I expect a totally mediocre and underwhelming "G1X with a lens mount" ...
same unnecessary 4:3 mini-sensor plus a mediocre EVF and 3 utterly unexciting, dark but still not very compact kit-lenses along the lines of:
- 18-55/f3.5-5.6 equivalent kit-lens
- 55-250/f4.5-5.6 equivalent tele-zoom
- plus something like a boring 40/2.8 pancake macro   
BUT certainly prices will be at least 50% higher than for a corresponding Rebel and EF-S lenses.
It is so very predictable and irksome.

bkxmnr

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 11:03:35 AM »
same unnecessary 4:3 mini-sensor plus a mediocre EVF and 3 utterly unexciting, dark but still not very compact kit-lenses along the lines of:
BUT certainly prices will be at least 50% higher than for a corresponding Rebel and EF-S lenses.

Those would be my exact feelings.  Awesome handle BTW.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 12:14:53 PM »
Significant announcement #1 - New mirrorless camera
Significant announcement #2 - Shipping date of 1DX for retail customers

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 12:14:53 PM »

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 12:58:11 PM »
It will be interesting to see what Canon can do (or will do) with the mirrorless.  There are so many suggestion (read it s demand) in this site: smaller size, reasonable priced, BIG sensor, small zooms etc. Unfortunately, they mutually exclusive. I am interested in seeing how fast is the AF or does it comes with MF and aview finder ( like the M9)?

c.d.embrey

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 01:01:26 PM »
No Pro ??? No Buy !!! It looks like Canon is going to disappointing me again. Meh!!! :(

The Crystal Ball is saying "I can see an Olympus OM-D E-M5, plus a 12mm f/2.0, 45mm f/1.8 and a 75mm f/1.8 in your future."

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 01:33:28 PM »
There will apparently be two “significant” announcements in June, we still suspect it will be the Rebel and a couple of lenses.

Will they be a delay and another delay?
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100 macro | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 01:36:59 PM »
It is full frame or go home.

Comeon now Canon, you can't let Leica be the only brand with a full frame mirrorless.  :P

drjlo

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 01:43:33 PM »

I'm afraid you are probably correct given the recent Canon moves. :(

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 01:48:52 PM »
Significant announcement #1 - New mirrorless camera
Significant announcement #2 - Shipping date of 1DX for retail customers  Another Delay for 1Dx

Fixed.
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100 macro | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 01:48:52 PM »

dickgrafixstop

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 02:41:24 PM »
A rebel without a prism?  A G1X with a lens mount?  Whatever it is, it will be a good indication of Canon's direction.
Will it play it safe and offer some boring, underfunctioned, overpriced m4/3 competitor with a slightly larger sensor or will it take up the gauntlet thrown down by Fuji with it's X Pro 1 and come up with a stunning high quality
image machine?  My guess is some soccer mom's purse candy with video in a variety of colors and lousy lenses.

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 03:25:26 PM »
It will be interesting to see what Canon can do (or will do) with the mirrorless.  There are so many suggestion (read it s demand) in this site: smaller size, reasonable priced, BIG sensor, small zooms etc. Unfortunately, they mutually exclusive. I am interested in seeing how fast is the AF or does it comes with MF and aview finder ( like the M9)?

The specs are not mutually exclusive:

1. SIZE - no problem
"FF" (36x24mm) can be packaged in a very compact and very high-quality camera without any problem.
example: 124.5 x 77.5 x 32 millimeters, sturdy metal body, weight only 13.405 oz./380.1g with batteries
http://www.cameraquest.com/cle.htm

2. LENS SIZE - no big problem
just look at M-mount lenses not only from Leica but also from Voigtlander and other manufacturers. Even a decent f/4 kit-zoom  could be made very compact and with decent optical quality.  As a matter of fact, no need to develop a new proprietary mount. Just take the patent-expired Leica M-mount and electrify it, using Canon pin layout and mountr-lens protocol. It would be backwards compatible with M-mount lenses  w/ manual focusing.

3. FAST and 100% ACCURATE AF - no problem
Just take the approach of the Nikon 1 hybrid AF sized to FF. Take the 5D 3 sensor, take 10.000 sensels out of it for in-sensor-plane Phase-Detect AF for ultrafast stage 1 "pre-focusing" and then hand over for stage 2: DIGIC 5+ powered, fast and 100% accurate Contrast AF. All back-/frontfocus issues with any lens will disappear. No need for microfocus-adjustment. 

4. VIEWFINDER - no big problem
Take the Fuji X1-Pro approach and make it REALLY RIGHT. Take the best available 3 Megapixel OLED plus parallax-corrected optical viewfinder. Users decide, whether they want to use optical, electronic or combination in a specific situation.

5. PRICE - no problem
same sensor, DIGIC, electronics and many other components from 5D 3 but minus the entire mirrorbox assembly (demanding very minute alignment = labor intensive) and minus prism. Therefore price should be somehat less, lets say 3 grand USD / Euro for starters.

Now, if I can think of this camera, Canon should be able to figure it out too and build it. :-)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 03:25:26 PM »