October 01, 2014, 03:00:24 AM

Author Topic: apple to make digital point and shoot cameras  (Read 3498 times)

pakosouthpark

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
apple to make digital point and shoot cameras
« on: June 01, 2012, 06:57:25 AM »
So as everyone knows Apple has a lot of followers and their products are indeed quite 'cool'!
If Apple entered in the photography/camera business it would steal a lot of costumers from another big photography brands like canon and etc. and that's why I'm posting this. do you think that would happen?

have a look here: http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/31/apple-working-on-standalone-point-and-shoot-digital-camera/

they are not entering the DSLR market though.

canon rumors FORUM

apple to make digital point and shoot cameras
« on: June 01, 2012, 06:57:25 AM »

cliffwang

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: apple to make digital point and shoot cameras
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 05:22:25 PM »
So as everyone knows Apple has a lot of followers and their products are indeed quite 'cool'!
If Apple entered in the photography/camera business it would steal a lot of costumers from another big photography brands like canon and etc. and that's why I'm posting this. do you think that would happen?

have a look here: http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/31/apple-working-on-standalone-point-and-shoot-digital-camera/

I don't think Apple will get into DSLR market.  All Apple product must be easy to use, so it could cover most of its users.  Apple's marketing is smart and clear.  Unfortunately, Apple's product is not my style.
Canon 5D3 | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Sigma 50mm F/1.4 | Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 VC | Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MK2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro L | Canon Closed-up 500D | 430EX | Kenko 2x Teleplus Pro 300 | Manfrotto Tripod

aznable

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 12:10:25 PM »
wwwoooowwwwWWW....seriously can be a threat for all...jst because there are a lot of revenues in PaS
Canon 1D Mark III - Canon 50D - sigma 24-70 EX DG - sigma 70-200 EX DG HSM OS - Sigma 50 Art

stilscream

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 01:18:05 PM »
Finally, apple invented the digital camera. This will make life easier, because film is just tedious and expensive to develop. I think I will buy the 2gb, 5MP camera for only $500. Bow before almighty Apple.

Personally, I think it will affect the sheep that think everything apple must be better, because it is more expensive, but not for dslr users. In ten years, maybe they might be competing seriously with Canikon, but I doubt they will right off the bat.
7d, 5d mk iii, 1d4, 1dx, 35mm f1.4L, 70-200mm IS ii USM, 300mm f4 IS USM, 600mm f4l is USM, 400mm f2.8l is usm, 14mm tamron f2.8, 17-40mm f4L, 24-70 f2.8L USM, 85f1.2L USM, 100mm f2.8 macro

DB

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 03:16:18 PM »
Finally, apple invented the digital camera. This will make life easier, because film is just tedious and expensive to develop. I think I will buy the 2gb, 5MP camera for only $500. Bow before almighty Apple.

Personally, I think it will affect the sheep that think everything apple must be better, because it is more expensive, but not for dslr users. In ten years, maybe they might be competing seriously with Canikon, but I doubt they will right off the bat.

Don't know if they really want to, but if they did, Apple Inc. could buy 100% of Nikon tomorrow for 'cash', or they could acquire more than 50% of Canon with the US$26 Billion Cash sitting on their balance sheet. Apple has a market value today of $526 billion vs $49 billion for Canon, in short, the stock market says they're worth ten times what it would cost to buy all of Canon. Now knowing Apple's track record, they'd just buy up the best sensor technology from Sony (like Nikon did with the D800), drop a couple of billion on R&D (hire some of the top designers/technicians from Canon or Nikon - offer them stock options), manufacture in China like the iPhone/iPad unlike Canon or Nikon, so they could produce higher volumes, faster and a lot cheaper....then to cap it all, they'd allow 3rd party software companies like Magic Lantern complete access to their code and hey presto... free downloadable firmware updates for your digital camera.

Then it would only be a matter of time before they moved up the digital ladder to DSLRs, then FF. As a Canon user, I don't want Apple to enter the picture, especially since their track record is new product every year not 3-4 years like Canon.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 06:44:13 PM »

Some of the very first point and shoot digital cameras were sold by Apple, but were made by Kodak and Fujifilm.  I used to own one.

Apple's idea of a digital camera that needed a Mac to operate flopped, and they got out of the business in about three years.  They were dropped by the Visionary Steve Jobs when he came back to apple along with the laserwriter.  None of those things had a future :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_QuickTake

keithfullermusic

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • k2focus.com
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 06:50:09 PM »

Are people with iPads sheep?  I think it's clearly the best tablet out there.  I'm not sure if there is even a noteworthy competitor.  Are people who buy iPhones sheep?  It is arguably the best smart phone on the market and the price is comparable to other leading brands.  Are people who buy iPod touches sheep?  They are clearly the best mp3 players on the market and reasonably priced.  Am I a sheep for spending $2,000 on a 27" better than HD screen with 12gbs or RAM with operating systems that cost $30 and can downloaded and installed in about 20 minutes?

If Apple makes a point and shoot you better believe it will completely punish and offer features that no other competitors can even come close to.  If you think it is overpriced then I don't know what to tell you.  Just don't buy it, but your blanket statement that Apple consumers are all sheep that will pay anything for crap is absurd.
5Diii - 50D - 100mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.2 vii - 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8 vii - 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430 EX II, YN560, YN568, Bowen's 500R's
---
Pics - http://k2focus.com | Tunes - http://keithfullermusic.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 06:50:09 PM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 07:13:20 PM »
Apple have had a fairly respectable point and shoot for some time. The camera on my iPhone 4Gs is better than most point & shoots I've owned in the past. And it has passable video, fine for magic moments with kids or dogs. And it has the huge advantage of always being there in your pocket.

PW

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 07:15:43 PM »
i got a heads up about the specs this is CR4

it will be 50MP
all your photos will go straight to the icloud you wont be able to put a memory card in the camera
(they may release an ove priced adapter at a later date to allow a memory card to be inserted but it's functionality will be heavily crippled
they will charge you to download your photos and you will only be able to download to a maximum of 5 devices
the copyright of your images will be the property of apple to use anyway they see fit.
siri will keep annoying you by criticising your exposure and composition decisions
it will be shiny with the least practical and lowest grip surface texture they can find
hello kitty cases will be available 1 week after release
APS-H Fanboy

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 07:21:56 PM »

it will be 50MP
all your photos will go straight to the icloud you wont be able to put a memory card in the camera
(they may release an ove priced adapter at a later date to allow a memory card to be inserted but it's functionality will be heavily crippled
they will charge you to download your photos and you will only be able to download to a maximum of 5 devices
the copyright of your images will be the property of apple to use anyway they see fit.
siri will keep annoying you by criticising your exposure and composition decisions
it will be shiny with the least practical and lowest grip surface texture they can find

Hah! You hilarious cynic. Hmm, but a running commentary from Siri could be interesting...

PW

DJL329

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 07:23:58 PM »

it will be 50MP

You forgot to mention the non-replaceable battery.    ;)
Canon EOS 5D Mark III | EF 14mm f/2.8L | EF 28mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 300mm f/4L IS

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 07:30:19 PM »
You forgot to mention the non-replaceable battery.    ;)

great catch! that one is [CR5]
APS-H Fanboy

spinworkxroy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 09:48:14 PM »
Just because it's Apple, it's going to sell like hotcakes…doesnt matter how bad it is or how good…specs and features aren't important…just the brand...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 09:48:14 PM »

e-d0uble

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 09:55:21 PM »
whoops, I clicked on this topic because I thought it read "apple headquarters destroyed by fire".  Silly me.   :)

robbymack

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 11:16:15 PM »
and they will call it the iPhone 5

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 11:16:15 PM »