November 27, 2014, 10:17:18 PM

Author Topic: Lightroom 4.1 Running SLOW!  (Read 21419 times)

Alik Griffin

Re: Lightroom 4.1 Running SLOW!
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2012, 03:00:36 AM »
I did a lot of research on this subject. Chances are your preferences got corrupted when you upgraded. Happens all the time to me when with Final Cut Pro as well. I've posted directions as well as a bunch of other things you can try to speed up lightroom here: http://alikgriffin.com/solutions-lightroom-running-slow

Good luck.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2012, 03:00:36 AM »

fotografiasi

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • fotograf nunta iasi
    • View Profile
    • fotograf nunta iasi Daniel Condurachi
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2012, 05:06:55 AM »
I read the adobe forums and did those things. they fix different problems that might occur. But what really helped me the most was:
  • for every job I have a different catalog (800 - 2000 photos)
  • each time I open a catalog, in Library module, File -> Optimize Catalog
  • in the Develop module, I minimize the histogram area from the top right - this seems to have the biggest impact on increasing the speed
fotograf nunta Iasi - Daniel Condurachi
Canon EOS 5D mark III, Canon EF 28mm f/1.8, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II, 580EX II, manfrotto tripod, Paul C Buff Einstein, lightstands & radio triggers

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2012, 07:03:26 AM »
  • for every job I have a different catalog (800 - 2000 photos)
  • each time I open a catalog, in Library module, File -> Optimize Catalog

Optimizing surely helps, but w/ different catalogs I find it annoying that there is now way to copy smart filter folders from one to the other (or is there a possibility?)

fotografiasi

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • fotograf nunta iasi
    • View Profile
    • fotograf nunta iasi Daniel Condurachi
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2012, 07:07:22 AM »
you would be much better with the search function in Bridge
fotograf nunta Iasi - Daniel Condurachi
Canon EOS 5D mark III, Canon EF 28mm f/1.8, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II, 580EX II, manfrotto tripod, Paul C Buff Einstein, lightstands & radio triggers

CTJohn

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2012, 08:25:12 AM »
All aspects of Lightroom work fine for me, except when I switch from one image to another, the program says "Loading" and can take 5-10 seconds to become sharp.  This also occurs when I zoom in on an image.  I keep all my RAW files in CR2 format, could that be the problem?
EOS 6D * EOS 7D * EF 24/105 f/4L * EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L * EF 100 f/2.8L Macro * Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2012, 09:55:53 AM »
I love LR 4.1. Its been fine on my machine and tweaks my 5D3 files nicely. Its from 2006 but has had basic upgrades since then.

C2D E6600 - 2.93ghz
4 GB 667 MHz RAM
Nvidia 660TI 3GB Card.
Dual monitors

Perhaps, your machine hasn't streamlined its services and background programs?

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2012, 10:11:13 AM »
I keep all my RAW files in CR2 format, could that be the problem?

Yes, that's it - the solution is convert them to dng and check the "embed fast-load data" option, that's specifically made for speeding up raw rendering. You can still embed cr2 in the dng if you never ever want to loose the original format, though of course required hd doubles. Personally, I like dng since all programs I ever looked at (except dxo) work with raw dng nowadays.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2012, 10:11:13 AM »

Chris Burch

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • CHRIS BURCH photography
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2012, 10:19:34 AM »
I keep all my RAW files in CR2 format, could that be the problem?

Yes, that's it - the solution is convert them to dng and check the "embed fast-load data" option, that's specifically made for speeding up raw rendering. You can still embed cr2 in the dng if you never ever want to loose the original format, though of course required hd doubles. Personally, I like dng since all programs I ever looked at (except dxo) work with raw dng nowadays.

That's the first time I have heard anyone claim dng files allow LR to run faster.  Can anyone else confirm that?  I have never converted my CR2 files at all, so this would be a major shift for me.
Canon 1DX, 5D Mark III, 5D MarkII

wtlloyd

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2012, 10:24:18 AM »
There can be a couple bottlenecks.

At Edit>catalog settings>file handling select the highest preview size, high quality, never discard. This is assuming you are using a 24" or larger monitor.

In catalog settings>Metadata deselect "Automatically write changes into XMP" You'll have to periodically force this as a matter of good housekeeping, on the files you are working on, to keep the XMP current with the catalog.

At Edit>Preferences>File handling set your Camera Raw Cache to 20GB. This is not the same as your previews, and 20GB is ample. You might consider selecting "purge cache" at this time.

Pre-building 1:1 previews can help a lot. More than anything else you can do. There is still some re-rendering in Develop, but the initial view is more accurate. For 60,000 images from 8 to 21 megapixel cameras, my preview cache is around 200GB.

You can choose this on import, or by selecting all photos in the catalog, then Library>previews>render 1:1 previews. It's fairly quick on import and you can start ranking and editing files while the previews are being generated, anyway. To re-generate ALL your photo previews can take hours, best to let it grind away while you are doing something else.

Re-optimize your catalog after.

Lightroom is far more CPU dependent than GPU. Additional memory benefits tail off rapidly after 8GB ram, unless you've got a dozen programs open at once, I'd guess. I typically only have Lightroom and CS6 running at the same time...

« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 10:27:13 AM by wtlloyd »

Chris Burch

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • CHRIS BURCH photography
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2012, 11:06:05 AM »
Thanks wtlloyd...I'll give those a try tonight.

Are there any efficiencies to be gained by using different hard drives for cache or photo storage.  All of my photos are their own HDD so I could use that drive or my normal C: drive for cache and such.  Thoughts?

I've been building 1:1 previews lately and I haven't seen much of a change.  It's so slow that when I try to select a photo, I have to let the mouse hover over the photo for an extra few seconds because if I move the mouse away, it will select whatever I am hovering over at the time, up to 3-5 seconds after I clicked a mouse.  That sounds trivial, but it's excrutiating when I am trying to cull through 2,000 images from a shoot.
Canon 1DX, 5D Mark III, 5D MarkII

Enthusiast

• Power Shot G7X
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2012, 11:34:16 AM »
Lightroom 4.1 is much faster than the Release Candidate but feels slower than 3.6. I doesn´t bring you forward to discuss this because the image quality increase a lot with the new process versions and that´s what we all want, isn´t it?
Lightroom performance is related to two factors:
1. CPU performance
This is relevant for rendering the previews and the export.
LR scales very very good in nearly all functions to all available cores and is much faster in that than most other programs.
2. HD performance
Even the preview are on the HD and the catalog have to load back the data when you switch to next pic.

I´m running LR 4.1 with 5 year old quadcore phenom but I use 2 SSDs since I upgraded to the Mark 3:
1. SSD: All programs
2. SSD: Lightroom catalogue and preview data

The SSD is fast enough to use the previews rendered in a 100% version. You can chose this in the import dialogue in the right upper corner. Wwhile zooming in, the CPU don´t have to render the image again. It´s just rendered once when you import the image. It takes more time to import, but you don´t need to spend this time in from of your PC and saves a lot of time while you work with.

Catalog size is not the factor here. My main catalog is 45000 images and it´s not significantly slower than smaller catalogs I´m working with from time to time.

S95, 40D, 5D MIII, EOS 3, Rolleiflex 3.5F - Tamron 17-50 2.8, Sigma: 15 2.8 Fisheye, 28 1.8, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 105 2.8 macro, 70-200 2.8, Lensbaby Composer

wtlloyd

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2012, 10:14:31 PM »
Hope it helps, Chris.

Regarding efficiencies, the best thing you can do is have the fastest internal HD or (far better) SSD you can afford.

Enjoy this definitive article concerning program/cache/data location combinations in Lightroom:

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/blog/will-an-ssd-improve-adobe-lightroom-performance/

Regarding your second point, it sounds like some heavy action is occuring under the hood....possibly in Lightroom, which will automatically generate additional previews in the background or write XMP metadata to the sidecars as you work. I prefer to force all that addtional HD activity at one time, rather than take the performance hit. Or, you may have some system activity that is slowing Lightroom performance. Best to minimize programs that may make calls to the data or system drives.
In win7, I have the cpu/mem "gadget" on my desktop - not to be taken seriously, but rather as an indicator when the hamsters are pantin'.....
Thanks wtlloyd...I'll give those a try tonight.

Are there any efficiencies to be gained by using different hard drives for cache or photo storage.  All of my photos are their own HDD so I could use that drive or my normal C: drive for cache and such.  Thoughts?

I've been building 1:1 previews lately and I haven't seen much of a change.  It's so slow that when I try to select a photo, I have to let the mouse hover over the photo for an extra few seconds because if I move the mouse away, it will select whatever I am hovering over at the time, up to 3-5 seconds after I clicked a mouse.  That sounds trivial, but it's excrutiating when I am trying to cull through 2,000 images from a shoot.

EvaCasado

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2012, 01:24:10 PM »
The only solution is to create a new catalog, since the upgrade it is the only fix that currently works.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2012, 01:24:10 PM »

RFreier

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2012, 08:07:17 PM »
I did a lot of research on this subject. Chances are your preferences got corrupted when you upgraded. Happens all the time to me when with Final Cut Pro as well. I've posted directions as well as a bunch of other things you can try to speed up lightroom here: http://alikgriffin.com/solutions-lightroom-running-slow

Good luck.

I had to join this forum just so I could thank you for your post!  I took a look at your link and decided to try the "Trash Your Preferences" suggestion first, because it seemed to make the most sense to me.  I can't thank you enough because the issue I had with Lightroom 4.2 running slow for me was solved with that one suggestion! Thank you!
RFreier

crasher8

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2012, 05:54:19 PM »
Upgrade to 4.2, it sure sped things up for me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2012, 05:54:19 PM »