October 22, 2014, 08:25:02 AM

Author Topic: ProPhoto RGB  (Read 1202 times)

ereka

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
ProPhoto RGB
« on: June 02, 2012, 08:43:21 AM »
Does anyone edit in ProPhoto RGB and if so, do you see any real practical advantages in doing so?

When you save images for web display, do you leave them in ProPhoto RGB or convert them to sRGB? I'd have thought convert to sRGB as most monitors wouldn't be capable of displaying anywhere near the full gamut of ProPhoto RGB, but I inadvertently uploaded an image in ProPhoto RGB recently and the colours didn't look discernably different from the sRGB file I replaced it with when I realised my error. The only differences were that the image didn't show up in the thumbnail preview on one particular website (just a little question mark in a small box, which was what prompted me to check the file type) but the full size image displayed fine when the thumbnail was clicked and whilst the thumbnail did actually show up on a different website, it had a noticeable green cast, but strangely there was no green cast in the full size image when the thumbnail was clicked.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 08:47:52 AM by ereka »

canon rumors FORUM

ProPhoto RGB
« on: June 02, 2012, 08:43:21 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: ProPhoto RGB
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 12:10:41 PM »
If you use Lightroom, you are always editing in Prophoto.  Generally, you would want to edit in a wide color space before you throw away color information by converting to SRGB, however, you do need to make sure you understand what is happening when you convert to SRBG, the processor is using the closest SRGB color to substitute for the ones that are out of gamut, and sometimes the result is just plain awful.

However, if your camera is set to SRGB, it doesn't matter all that much, since it has already done the conversion.  Pro photo will not change the colors, it just uses what you feed it.

ereka

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 12:44:34 PM »
That could explain a lot, although regarding sRGB being set in camera I thought this only affected jpegs and not the RAW files.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 11:10:00 PM »
sRGB or Adobe RGB settings in the camera do only influence the jpg files
I am not sure how DPP treats this though since i dont use it
but using LR and raws for processing I just leave it in prophoto
and always choose sRGB when i convert out to jpg as that will display best
on most devices or monitors clients will be viewing the files on
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM