August 23, 2014, 03:46:51 AM

Author Topic: Is the Canon EOS 3D possible?  (Read 7742 times)

ddg1263

Is the Canon EOS 3D possible?
« on: March 22, 2011, 07:38:06 PM »
Well I am very new to photography and I have read here that Canon may be introducing a new low light body. I think the name that is being thrown around is the Canon EOS 3D. I know everything has come to a standstill in Japan, but my question is what are the chances of something like this coming to market? All that I have been seeing in the reports are high resolution cameras coming this year. From what I have read high resolutions typically don’t produce great photos with higher ISO numbers. I think it is a physics issue. I may be wrong, but I did want to find out what are the possibilities for future models.

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Is the Canon EOS 3D possible?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 08:23:06 PM »
Well I am very new to photography and I have read here that Canon may be introducing a new low light body. I think the name that is being thrown around is the Canon EOS 3D. I know everything has come to a standstill in Japan, but my question is what are the chances of something like this coming to market? All that I have been seeing in the reports are high resolution cameras coming this year. From what I have read high resolutions typically don’t produce great photos with higher ISO numbers. I think it is a physics issue. I may be wrong, but I did want to find out what are the possibilities for future models.

The body has nothing to do with ISO sensitivity, its the sensor.  Canon seems to be moving toward higher pixel counts, since it improves resolution and IQ.  However, if they decide to make the same mistake that Nikon has already admitted to, and sacrifice resolution for Low light capability, they do not need a new body to do so.  Nikon was hit very hard by their big customers for failing to increase the sensor resolution, and even admitted that it was a mistake to not have a better rounded camera.  It makes the D3s more of a niche body, which apparently has caused the big customers to complain or even switch.  If low light sensitivity is your #1 priority, its great, otherwise, its years behind Canons more well rounded sensors that have good low light sensitivity, high resolution, and excellent video. 

ddg1263

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 11:19:27 PM »
Well, I read somewhere that lenses had limited capabilities on resolution….I was reading that the new 1ds mark IV was suppose to have a 40 MP performance. If they release this type of camera/sensor can the canon lenses unitize that much resolution in the final picture? I was pulling from the main rumors  page where it said that Canon was disappointed with 32 MP sensor so they were testing a 40 MP sensor. 

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 09:10:15 PM »
Well, I read somewhere that lenses had limited capabilities on resolution….I was reading that the new 1ds mark IV was suppose to have a 40 MP performance. If they release this type of camera/sensor can the canon lenses unitize that much resolution in the final picture? I was pulling from the main rumors  page where it said that Canon was disappointed with 32 MP sensor so they were testing a 40 MP sensor.

40 mp on a FF camera will not cause a problem with most of the good lenses.  Remember, the 18mp sensors in the 7D 60D and T3i are the equivalent of a 46 mp sensor.  100mp might start to see some limitations, but it will be better than 50mp in any event.  With any given lens, a camera body with more resolution will give a image that has more resolution.

DuLt

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 10:24:09 AM »
Couldn't a 3d EOS be refering to a video specific camera?

motorhead

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 11:58:38 AM »
The Eos3 was the camera that triggered my switch from Nikon to Canon. It was and still is a wonderful camera and I'd love Canon to introduce a digital version. Exactly the same concept but with a top-end sensor and I'd be one of the first in line outside the shop.

But I have been led to believe that Canon did not consider the eye-controlled AF enough of an attraction, many users just did not spend enough time educating the camera (yes, it needed to be taught about the users eye!) and having got frustrated with it, turned the feature off. I am still amazed by it myself, 45 AF points, all of them available and ready to focus seemingly at the speed of light on whatever I looked at. It AF's faster still than any other camera I have ever used.

While still a very popular argument in the forums, the theory that the resolution of lenses are/will be a limiting factor is, I believe, a discredited theory. It assumed it was impossible to improve the optics and that's just not true as we are seeing. Canon are committed to upgrading their "L" range of lenses and while they will never admit it, I think its a major factor. There was no need to produce better lenses until sensors reached the point of needing them, that point will soon be upon us so the lenses are now being improved.   

ddg1263

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 12:01:20 PM »
Isn’t there a NAB show in about 2 weeks…. It would be great to see something announced then, but with the mess in Japan, I doubt anything from any camera maker will be put into production or announced. Also, If canon is going to start pushing their megapixels higher and higher, would it not be hard to maintain video performance with such big files? They may need a camera where it only has modest improvements in MP to keep up with processor speed performance for enhanced video. Anyway, it is just a thought….  And thanks scaleusa for the clarification on the lenses…. I am just starting in photography to understand some of these things.

WarStreet

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 01:06:46 PM »
ddg1263, I wish you lots of fun while exploring photography.

Although what scalesusa said is less popular from what you might have read on the net, I agree with him 100%.

You will encounter lots of myths and misinformation which derives from partial truth, like the ones you mentioned. Usually the truth gets misinterpreted or exaggerated. You will hear of some gear aspect comparisons being 'very bad' or 'very good' but in reality even the 'very bad' could outperform what is need for most intended results (For me the end result means a print)

I suggest you to filter whatever you read regarding this subject if you are interested in the technical aspect, and to convert whatever you read to your actual needs, so that you can purchase the gear which fits best for your photography.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 01:09:30 PM by WarStreet »

Lawliet

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 03:48:53 PM »
Couldn't a 3d EOS be refering to a video specific camera?

I don't see much merit in such a camera. The features would either make sense in an amateur body and find widespread distribution  anyway or be rather specific. Those how can make good use of them would prefer something that doesn't fit in the EOS line but would be a derivate of the current video cameras with an EF mount.

Stone

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 02:41:10 AM »
I'm fairly certain that Canon has taken it's future high MP bodies into consideration while releasing it's new lenses.  Just about all the popular focal lengths have or are getting a refresh.  I can't help but think this is in preparation for their next high MP assault on the market.
5D III gripped | 7D gripped | 35L | 24-70 2.8L II USM | 70-200 2.8L IS II USM | 85 1.8 |