July 30, 2014, 09:59:24 PM

Author Topic: 1Ds Replacement Soon?  (Read 15794 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
1Ds Replacement Soon?
« on: March 09, 2011, 01:56:35 PM »

Speculation starts up again

Over at NL, Keith was given some information at the focus show in UK about the upcoming 1Ds4. He was told he wouldn’t have to wait long and it would precede a 5D Mark III.

It is noted the source could have been fed a line to keep people guessing.

I personally haven’t heard anything different than the late 2011/early 2012 I’ve been told in the past.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

1Ds Replacement Soon?
« on: March 09, 2011, 01:56:35 PM »

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: 1Ds Replacement Soon?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 02:58:17 PM »
I still think that from a marketing point of view, it would make more sense to lauch both of them together.  Then potential buyers will know exactly what the score is and won't hold off until the other is released. 

motorhead

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 03:14:59 PM »
Even if Canon keep us waiting until spring 2012 or later, it would be reassuring to know what they plan to offer us with the 1Ds replacement sooner rather than later. An announcement with a bare bones outline soon would be nice. Past tittle tattle that they were moving to medium format would seriously alter my lens purchasing plans if true, although I never gave that much credance.

To get the best from a possible 35-40 MP full frame sensor I need to start updating my lenses and before I start spending large sums of money I really do need some facts.

We are witnessing Canon redesigning their lenses en-masse and I cannot see them doing this for current sensor sizes. I hope it means we will see the format stay the same, but with increasing pixel counts. A pretty safe bet I'm thinking.

Bob Howland

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 04:52:00 PM »
I have no doubts that a professional FF camera will be coming out before the end of April and probably before the NAB show, but other rumors call for something more competitive with a D3s/D4 than a D3x/D4x. I suppose that would still qualify as a "potential replacement for my 1Ds3" to some.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 04:58:39 PM by Bob Howland »

Ivar

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 06:06:47 PM »
Looking at the competitive camera prices it seems Canon is not doing that well by being a little bit cheaper. Ok, maybe they are selling more quantities at lower prices than competition and being fine financially (a cropper is cheaper to produce anyway), but this also indicates some sort of weakness. For pro camera companies asking a premium is a sign of strength of their product.

Now that it is the year for Nikon for new releases I highly doubt Canon can wait much longer, so in my opinion 2012 is only possible for a release when at least one 1-series major upgrade is announced this year, right after or before Nikon's announcement.

JLN

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 06:27:11 PM »
i'm not entirely sure if there's any strategic value in releasing the 1ds4 before the 5d3.

Anyone in the market who would drop 10k on a camera would most likely wait the extra month or two to see what the 5d3 offers.

Not to mention, as with anything else of late, the delay between announcement and shipping could mean that a 5d3 would be announced before the 1ds4 ships.

x-vision

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 07:46:29 PM »
1DV soon, 7DII in the fall, and 5DIII next spring.

You heard it here first  8).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 07:46:29 PM »

x-vision

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 07:54:16 PM »
i'm not entirely sure if there's any strategic value in releasing the 1ds4 before the 5d3.

Each new technology generation at Canon has been introduced with the announcement of a new 1D camera.

The next technology generation will be no exception - 1DV first and then the other models.

The 1DV will most likely be followed by a 1.6x crop model - the 7DII - and only after that the 5DIII.

ronderick

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 08:53:30 PM »
Glad to hear that the 1Ds4 is back into the rumor arena...

I guess this means a green light for the Canon FF flagship.

Why all the confusing rumors and the missed product-cycle timing for 1Ds4? My guess would be that Canon hasn't yet secured a foothold in the medium format project, and it has to answer somehow to Nikon's upcoming D4 this year...  Too bad no 645D-like MP monster *shrug*
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 08:54:26 PM »
1DV soon, 7DII in the fall, and 5DIII next spring.

You heard it here first  8).

Do you honestly think they will  let the 5D go almost 5 years without a refresh?

Not likely.

Orangutan

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 10:48:29 PM »
and it has to answer somehow to Nikon's upcoming D4 this year...

This is exactly right: remember, this is a business, not a hobby for Canon and Nikon.  Nikon may have gained some market share, but Canon must be gorging itself on profits from the 5D2.  Now everyone knows that video is the "killer app" for pro DSLR's, and they're using the Great Recession to re-tool for that.  There aren't a lot of people who will lay down $10k for a high-end FF still camera, but there are a lot more who will lay down $10K for a high-end FF still+video camera.  I speculate (!) that part of the delay in some of the lenses is to rework them for video, and for other planned or possible changes in technology (>FF?)  Nikon is likely doing the same.  Since the 5D2 continues to sell quite well at nearly the original price (after how many years?) no one in the pro DSLR market is going to ignore video at this point.  (Note to DSLR still-camera purists: you are now officially old fogies)

My guess is that Canon has several versions of prototypes for each of its pro bodies out in circulation, and they're just waiting for Nikon to commit to its answer to the 5D2 and 1D4.  For those who claim the 1Ds-series is the prestige camera, I repeat that it's all about money, not prestige.  If you want to know when the 5D3 or 1Ds4 or 1D5 will hit the market, I suggest you start following the NikonRumors web site.  :)

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 10:58:17 PM »
Do you honestly think they will  let the 5D go almost 5 years without a refresh?

Five years would be Sept. 2013.

Each new technology generation at Canon has been introduced with the announcement of a new 1D camera.

The next technology generation will be no exception - 1DV first and then the other models.

This makes sense to me, although I disagree with the order. I'll wager on a 1D first. A 5D sometime later. Then a 7D. Could be spread out over a year, 18mos or two years.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

te4o

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 11:04:09 PM »

The 1DV will most likely be followed by a 1.6x crop model - the 7DII - and only after that the 5DIII.

I agree with x-vision, business decision making puts a 1D model ahead of the 5D model. This way many impatient but wealthy wait-for-5D III buyers will be pushed into the expensive market.   
5D3 (04/12), Carl Zeiss ZE 21, 35/1.4, 50MP, 100MP
Canon 135/2, Sigma 85/1.4
SONY RX100

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 11:04:09 PM »

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 11:45:41 PM »

Five years would be Sept. 2013.

Oops, for some reason I had it in my head that it was released Aug 2007 (But that was the 1Ds3).  :-[

archfotos

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 11:08:27 AM »
My question with any of these new to be released pro still/video cameras if they have the ability to record and save video in a raw format is there any software on the market that can handle (edit manipulate) Raw video - I know it's been a pain using fcp with the 5dm2  therefore have mainly used cs5Premier.  Even with fcp 8 coming out one month later are we going to be back to a video file that needs transcoded through a dpp software?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 11:08:27 AM »