October 31, 2014, 04:48:29 AM

Author Topic: Canon 60D Stops Recording Automatically!!!  (Read 30204 times)

millerdigital

Re: Canon 60D Stops Recording Automatically!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 12:19:42 PM »
Maybe a different grade of SD card would work.

More expensive sd cards are definitely better, the rating is partly just marketing. See the reviews - esp. if the cards fills up write speed goes down. However, as I wrote above tuning the bitrate seems like a better because free approach to me - you won't see the effect of a little less bitrate, esp. if you use ml's vbr setting, but sticking a top-grade 32gb sd card in a 60d seems somewhat unbalanced to me unless you really need it.

Problem has started with my 60D since putting magic lantern on my class 10 card, I will double check the bit rate settings. I have been using 32GB cards in both our DSLRs due to the fact the .mov compression they use is quite large and they fill up fast. Most of the time we can switch out, but live events such as concerts, not so easy. I use 16GB in our Panasonic as it's AVCHD compression format is quite good and rarely need to switch that. I can easily try to go back to 16GB in our DSLRs but since I've mainly been experiencing this with the magic lantern card, I'm wondering about what settings in ml might be overriding camera defaults causing this...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 12:19:42 PM »

that1guyy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 05:38:16 PM »
I have heard this problem of recording stopping randomly associated with magic lantern before. I don't think it's the card or your camera, but just magic lantern. Try removing it from your card and re-installing it.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 07:31:56 PM »
I use a 60D and have a Sandisk Extreme class 10 16G and a 32G card. I have never had a problem recording video.

Not all class 10 cards are equal and there are fake cards as well. If you want to speed test a card, put it in a computer with a good reader and see how long it takes to read or write a 2Gbyte file to it.... you will be amazed at the differences between class 10 cards....
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 07:31:56 PM »