June 23, 2018, 04:28:06 PM

Author Topic: Philip Bloom Comparison 5d3 vs D800 vs D4  (Read 12642 times)

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • AW Photography
Re: Philip Bloom Comparison 5d3 vs D800 vs D4
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 10:25:01 AM »
If i'm not mistaken, didn't bloom say the d800 COULDN'T be sharpened without introducing bad artifacts but the 5d3 COULD be sharpened to correct it?  It may have been another video but i got from blooms video was the 5d3 had to be sharpened in post and the D800 needed a 3rd party filter and assuming you corrected for both, they both are great cameras, noise issues aside for the d800.

I think you're remembering the CameraStore video (the 3rd in their series of 3).  They did specifically say that the D800 can't be sharpened without really bringing out the artifacts.  And their example shot certainly backed that up. 

That said, they didn't have a pre-production Mosaic filter like Bloom did.  They also weren't recording to an external, higher bitrate recorder - which was what was done in the example psolberg was referring to.  They just tried sharpening the 24mb/s internally recorded D800 footage

I think it's funny how adamantly people are STILL arguing over who's dad can beat up the other guy's dad.  As Bloom said, these are both GREAT cameras.  Both require a fix - the D800 requires the filter if you don't want moire/aliasing - the MK3 requires sharpening in post to bring out the details.  Noise in low light/high ISO on the D800 isn't fixable, but if you usually shoot in controlled conditions, and don't ever need to shoot above 3200, no worries, the D800 will be great.

The one thing Bloom didn't talk about, which I found very surprising in the CameraStore video, was the weird jumpy laggy picture when you magnify the D800 live view to check focus.  In practical use, this would probably drive me more crazy than all the other gripes combined, because I use that constantly in a shoot.  Then again... I'm sure you could get used to it.

I think Philip is right - they're both great cameras.  If a close friend of mine buys a D800, and another buys a 5D3, I'll tell them both the exact same thing... "CONGRATS!!!  Now shut up and go shoot something"

Thanks for clarifying the video... yes i think your right.  I got to say i've seen enough review/comparison videos/blogs/websites to last me a life time between these two cameras it's rolling into one big beating.  I agree both are very respectable cameras and both have their strengths and weaknesses.  I will say it is amazing how bloom crushes the D4 compared to both the 5d3 and the d800.  Granted the d800 is slightly newer than the d4, but then again if it was canon, they may have dumbed down the d800 so it was lesser than the d4, but given the d800 and it's specs, it's video, and it's capabilities, i really would find it surprising to hear how much if any d4's nikon sells from this point forward compared to the D800..  Just like how the 5d2 crushed the 1ds3 sales. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L IS, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 2 430EX 2's and a partridge in a pear tree.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 10:25:01 AM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 08:45:20 PM »
Andrew over at EOS HD mentioned he'll be doing a shootout of the D800 soon so stay tuned for his comparison since he posts still images of frame grabs which is the proper way to compare video short of the original mov file.

Meanwhile I would refer anybody curious about the uncompressed HDMI out (which is far more interesting than the resolution) to this video (download the original and not the vimeo embedded video)
https://vimeo.com/40788982

Man... Great demonstration of that extra tiny little bit of quality you can get when you're not relying on the internal codec.  Canon definitely screwed up by not giving us clean HDMI out.  I'm SO happy actually, that Nikon did in the D800, because just that could be the impetus for Canon to do the same via a firmware update.

Now I just wish Nikon had added zebra and focus peaking so Canon would also have to follow suit with those as well.  heh

Canon has become such a sad follower, all they ever say is we see no need to do this or that until we see someone else bother. That is sort of attitude that sends companies on the long slide down. Instead of having the 5D3 hti up all the video sites by storm they leave out silly little costless things like focus peaking, zebra stripes, 1920x1080 1.6x cropped mode, etc. etc. and instead of getting amazing press and taking video world by storm again they get "meh" after "eh, ok". For what? To try to protect some $20,000 C-line??

It probably doesn't help how out of touch most Japanese electronics management has become, read some eye opening stuff about how insular they are and how they won't even employee student who decided to go to college outside of Japan, never mind if is Oxford or MIT, and if a younger employee knows that an older one is talking out of date rubbish, even if they try to bring it up in the most gentle terms, they get admonished and black listed as trouble makers.

psolberg

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 08:35:17 AM »
If i'm not mistaken, didn't bloom say the d800 COULDN'T be sharpened without introducing bad artifacts but the 5d3 COULD be sharpened to correct it?  It may have been another video but i got from blooms video was the 5d3 had to be sharpened in post and the D800 needed a 3rd party filter and assuming you corrected for both, they both are great cameras, noise issues aside for the d800.

I think you're remembering the CameraStore video (the 3rd in their series of 3).  They did specifically say that the D800 can't be sharpened without really bringing out the artifacts.  And their example shot certainly backed that up. 

That said, they didn't have a pre-production Mosaic filter like Bloom did.  They also weren't recording to an external, higher bitrate recorder - which was what was done in the example psolberg was referring to.  They just tried sharpening the 24mb/s internally recorded D800 footage

I think it's funny how adamantly people are STILL arguing over who's dad can beat up the other guy's dad.  As Bloom said, these are both GREAT cameras.  Both require a fix - the D800 requires the filter if you don't want moire/aliasing - the MK3 requires sharpening in post to bring out the details.  Noise in low light/high ISO on the D800 isn't fixable, but if you usually shoot in controlled conditions, and don't ever need to shoot above 3200, no worries, the D800 will be great.

The one thing Bloom didn't talk about, which I found very surprising in the CameraStore video, was the weird jumpy laggy picture when you magnify the D800 live view to check focus.  In practical use, this would probably drive me more crazy than all the other gripes combined, because I use that constantly in a shoot.  Then again... I'm sure you could get used to it.

I think Philip is right - they're both great cameras.  If a close friend of mine buys a D800, and another buys a 5D3, I'll tell them both the exact same thing... "CONGRATS!!!  Now shut up and go shoot something"

Thanks for clarifying the video... yes i think your right.  I got to say i've seen enough review/comparison videos/blogs/websites to last me a life time between these two cameras it's rolling into one big beating.  I agree both are very respectable cameras and both have their strengths and weaknesses.  I will say it is amazing how bloom crushes the D4 compared to both the 5d3 and the d800.  Granted the d800 is slightly newer than the d4, but then again if it was canon, they may have dumbed down the d800 so it was lesser than the d4, but given the d800 and it's specs, it's video, and it's capabilities, i really would find it surprising to hear how much if any d4's nikon sells from this point forward compared to the D800..  Just like how the 5d2 crushed the 1ds3 sales.

well don't confuse apples and oranges. the D800 is  a different camera. The D4 will sell less because it is much more expensive and much more specialized and aims at the niche market that demands really fast frame rates and really high ISOs. Most people buying a D4 are buying a really fast still imaging tool and all these dslrs, including the 5DmkIII are primarily still imaging devices with video tacked on as a bonus.

so the video performance of the D4 is unlikely to impact sales since that really isn't the niche market it is going after. Even the D800 and 5DmkIII are too expensive and crippled and will be outsold by cheaper camcorders.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 08:35:17 AM »