November 27, 2014, 02:57:20 PM

Author Topic: Canon haven't released a studio/resolution orientated camera since the 1ds3.  (Read 5542 times)

rhysgray

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Do they care?   Do they even have a plan to produce some sort of completion to the d800?

canon rumors FORUM

vbi

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Um...they released the 5D2 which was a studio/high resolution camera at the time.
All politicians are scum
5D3, 5D2, 7D and too many lenses

paul13walnut5

Or the 5D3 or the 1DX.  Or the tethered version of the 7D come to think of it.

Fishnose

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Or the 5D3 or the 1DX.  Or the tethered version of the 7D come to think of it.

Good grief, the 1DX and the 7D can hardly be considered 'studio/resolution orientated cameras'. 18MP, and one of them is crop.

nikkito

• Canon 6D
  • Argentine freelance photographer
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
5d 2 & 3  8)
www.nicolaszonvi.com - www.facebook.com/zonviphoto

1D X, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 85 f1.2, 40 f2.8, 50 f1.4, Sigma 10-20 and many other toy cameras.

paul13walnut5

The 7d studio version?  Google it, and then pass your critique onto canon.  Good grief! Indeed.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Do they care?   Do they even have a plan to produce some sort of completion to the d800?

I certainly hope not, I bought a D800, and it outperforms the lenses, and takes forever to process images.

How do you define studio resolution?  When there was only a 3mp body?, 6mp, 8mp, 12mp, 16mp, 22mp, ???  100mp?

It takes 6mp to 8mp to make a quality print.

canon rumors FORUM

risc32

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
couldn't have said it better than mt spokane.  but i'll still type something. the term studio would relate to some super high MP camera, well that MP number is always changing, yet studios have been around for a good long while before the d800 landed. maybe we should just feel happy for the nikon shooters as canon has OWNED them for a good long while. they are used to us having 2x the mp as them. perhaps they went to far for some. past the sweet spot of computer power/storage/photodiode size/speed. Have you ever seen the junk nikon had before the D3? besides, 35mm cameras aren't for super high res anyway, said "studio" might rather have a MF camera with a leaf shutter system.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile

Well they hadn't released any FF action cam since the pre-DSLR days, all it was was studio cam after studio cam, so you ain't be waiting as long as the folks who wanted some speed and AF! You had your landscapes with the 1Ds2 then 5D then the 1Ds3 then the 5D2. Finally the 5D3 brings some EOS 3 to the table (although yeah bumping up the sensor DR wouldn't have hurt since you'd have your low ISO landscape upgrade right there too then and as I do also do lots of landscapes yeah that woulda made it more fun than a barrel of wombats).
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 01:58:50 AM by LetTheRightLensIn »

eeek

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Remember folks, the most important feature of any camera made ever is the MEGAPICKLES. If it isn't extremely large then by all means, the camera is just absolutely worthless. You cannot, under any circumstances, have a studio quality camera unless you have higher MEGAPICKLES than that your competitor.

paul13walnut5

Megapickles are nuffink without a good lens, I met a photographer with a bloody hassle of a camera (I think he said) and he reckoned the best lens was by Dr Zuess.

The idiot is saying it has to be full frame, and 22MP is old hat.   Of course all the leaf and phase one shooters are just pissing themselves.   But he won't be able to see that.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Heck the 5D classic is still my studio Camera! the 5D2 was also the studio cam and the 5d3 is now an everything cam.

rhysgray

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
How does a leaf shutter system work and what benefits does it have? Also, anybody know where i can find out about the low end medium format market approx 2 to 5 thousand?

canon rumors FORUM

Neeneko

How do you define studio resolution?  When there was only a 3mp body?, 6mp, 8mp, 12mp, 16mp, 22mp, ???  100mp?

Thing is, the same basic question can be asked of Canon's entire line.. why make a 5D3? Why even make a 5D2?  After all pretty much all of the rebels handle HD video,  why would people want more?  It doesn't take 4K to make youtube videos.

I think in the end, people want to feel like the company is addressing their particular segment.  While any of the modern cameras can do the job, Canons current lineup of video cameras and multimedia cameras really are just not geared towards studio photographers.  Of course they can be shoehorned into it, but it will always feel like an awkward 'second class market segment' fit.

briansquibb

Thing is, the same basic question can be asked of Canon's entire line.. why make a 5D3? Why even make a 5D2?  After all pretty much all of the rebels handle HD video,  why would people want more?  It doesn't take 4K to make youtube videos.

I think in the end, people want to feel like the company is addressing their particular segment.  While any of the modern cameras can do the job, Canons current lineup of video cameras and multimedia cameras really are just not geared towards studio photographers.  Of course they can be shoehorned into it, but it will always feel like an awkward 'second class market segment' fit.

Why have new technology when the 1DS3 can still deliver top IQ studio pictures?

canon rumors FORUM