November 22, 2014, 07:21:35 PM

Author Topic: Canon haven't released a studio/resolution orientated camera since the 1ds3.  (Read 5517 times)

Neeneko

Also, anybody know where i can find out about the low end medium format market approx 2 to 5 thousand?

eBay.
It is not unusual to see good medium format backs in that range, though they generally do not out megapickle (damn it, now that is stuck in my head) modern DSLRs.  They are still excellent backs though and give you access to a wonderful array of lenses and potentially even view camera type bodies.

canon rumors FORUM

Neeneko

Why have new technology when the 1DS3 can still deliver top IQ studio pictures?

There I am the wrong person to ask.  Personally I am waiting for the used price on 1Ds3s to come down so I can snap one up, but I tend to be way behind the tech curve (still using a 300D/350D pair)

jaduffy007

Holy guacamole!  Utter non-sense batman!  :o

The D800 doesn't "outperform" Nikon's "trinity" zooms.  Using the Nikon, Zeiss, Schneider primes...all the better!  Shoot with a Zeiss 100 f2 or Nikon 200 f2 to see what the D800 is capable of.  It's stunning, as in competes with $30k MFD "stunning".  Canon will respond eventually.

5d2 was breakthrough for 35mm studio work vs MF.  Nikon D3x too, but not a great value / performance ratio like 5d2.

6-8MP for a "quality print"?  Ok, then your standards aren't very high.  If your point is, the performance of the D800 is overkill for most photographers, I agree.  Same with MFD.

Do they care?   Do they even have a plan to produce some sort of completion to the d800?

I certainly hope not, I bought a D800, and it outperforms the lenses, and takes forever to process images.

How do you define studio resolution?  When there was only a 3mp body?, 6mp, 8mp, 12mp, 16mp, 22mp, ???  100mp?

It takes 6mp to 8mp to make a quality print.

jaduffy007

Why have new technology when the 1DS3 can still deliver top IQ studio pictures?

There I am the wrong person to ask.  Personally I am waiting for the used price on 1Ds3s to come down so I can snap one up, but I tend to be way behind the tech curve (still using a 300D/350D pair)

I would say you are very, very wise in your buying decisions.

jaduffy007

How does a leaf shutter system work and what benefits does it have? Also, anybody know where i can find out about the low end medium format market approx 2 to 5 thousand?

Many resources.  Google is your friend.  Luminous Landscape forums, etc.

Leaf shutters = sync speed o'rama. Combine that with very short flash duration strobes =magic. Also= $$$$$$.
http://www.dofmaster.com/courses/basic/photographycourse-89.html

MF in general:  Bigger sensor has many benefits.  DR, shallow depth of field, etc.  It has a "look" and a mercilessly addictive one.

$2k-5K sensors...honestly "I" would say, get a D800 / E.  It will kill those dated MF sensors.  To beat a D800, you would need at LEAST a Phase IQ140.  The body is $25k. Yes, just the body.  Again, shoot a D800 with fast, top of the line lenses for a VERY similar image.

What about getting into MF film? Like a Fuji GX680 mark 1 for peanuts. Shoots a huge 6x9 negative. You can find a mark 3 for less than a grand in mint condition.  You would have tilt / shift on ALL of your lenses.  Phenomenal lenses for a lot less than Canon L's.

Then again, unless you shoot for $$ in the realm of fashion, product, landscape, commercial photography...I would buy a refurbished 5d2 from Canon for $1760 and call it a day.  Thats a LOT of camera for $1750!

I hope my ramblings were helpful....
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 07:49:55 PM by jaduffy007 »

Halocastle

Sorry to be a buzz kill, but I simply do NOT get these types of questions at all.  Is this an attempt to generate some sort of rambling controversy?

Studio resolution.  What, on a computer screen, zoomed in ten times, is that what you mean?  Or do you mean digital files converted to prints that a customer might hang on a wall?

If it's the later, then it all depends on PRINT size--4x6, 8x10, and so on.  You can only cram so much discernible data onto a given area and, as far as I know--could be wrong here--35mm slide film is about (I'll give a range) 20 to 25 megapixels, so, unless you're addicted to your computer screen, what more do you need?

I would say from the "tone" of your question that you're:
A) obsessed over megapixels, or
B) spend way too much time sitting in front of a computer, or
C) don't do prints under, say, 20x30, or
D) all of the above.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 08:50:11 PM by Halocastle »

briansquibb

Sorry to be a buzz kill, but I simply do NOT get these types of questions at all.  Is this an attempt to generate some sort of rambling controversy?

Studio resolution.  What, on a computer screen, zoomed in ten times, is that what you mean?  Or do you mean digital files converted to prints that a customer might hang on a wall?

If it's the later, then it all depends on PRINT size--4x6, 8x10, and so on.  You can only cram so much discernible data onto a given area and, as far as I know--could be wrong here--35mm slide film is about (I'll give a range) 20 to 25 megapixels, so, unless you're addicted to your computer screen, what more do you need?

D) all of the above.

I have a 1DS3 image printed at 5' x 3' still looking good and sharp

canon rumors FORUM

rhysgray

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile

D) all of the above.

No mate. It's simple. I have a 40d. I need an upgrade. I wanted a d800 but I'm heavily invested in canon glass. What have you got to say now?

Neeneko

It is a poor word choice and people need to stop doing it.  Last studio camera I was looking into getting was 6MP (multi-shot MF) and produced fantastic low ISO pictures.

Usually what people really mean is 'relative to other offerings' because they want to improve over what they are already doing, in other words they want an upgrade path.  Higher MP effects post-processing, so even if final prints do not need it the intermediate steps can utilize it, which if you are trying to push things as far as you can in order to impress customers can make a difference.

paul13walnut5

No mate. It's simple. I have a 40d. I need an upgrade. I wanted a d800 but I'm heavily invested in canon glass. What have you got to say now?

There are lots of upgrades in the Canon range.  A few of them even fit your skewed definition of a 'studio camera'.

If you specifically want a D800 and the only reason why is megapixels, then go and buy a d800.   Guess we won't be seeing you on here no more.   :'(

Ivar

• EOS M2
    • View Profile

Absolutely nice try.

Jettatore

Do they care?   Do they even have a plan to produce some sort of completion to the d800?

I certainly hope not, I bought a D800, and it outperforms the lenses, and takes forever to process images.

How do you define studio resolution?  When there was only a 3mp body?, 6mp, 8mp, 12mp, 16mp, 22mp, ???  100mp?

A lot of people simply mix up conceptually in their thinking, the idea of a medium format sensor (Phase One, Mamiya, Hasselblad, etc.) and the perceived impact of a high mega-pixel count.  It seems an obvious, unspoken assumption that if you can match or approach a medium format sensor in terms of Mega-Pixels, than you will have matched or approached what that format of photography, is capable of.  Sadly mistaken.

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
If you guys consider the 21MP 1ds3/5d2 to be studio/resolution oriented, then the 22MP 5d3 could be considered that as well.  Sure I want a corvette at a ford focus price, but it's not going to happen.  Utilize what the current offering is, or switch to nikon or even better, medium format...  Very few photographers will be able to out-demand the 5d3 or 1ds3 or 1dx, and if you happen to be one... if your budget and your clients demand a 40MP+ billboard producing monster, then I would think your budget and your paygrade could easily stomach such cameras...  I think we are pushing the limits of the 135 sensor/medium format...  Anything beyond will produce 7D quality files and low light issues...  See the D800's low light results to quantify my stance. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM