September 30, 2014, 12:21:43 PM

Author Topic: What's your acceptable price for the 1Dx  (Read 6237 times)

hhelmbold

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: What's your acceptable price for the 1Dx
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 01:15:52 AM »
I am quite happy with the current price tag and I have pre-ordered mine as well... think I even beat Neuro to it :-) It's the shipping that is killing me, not the price tag - I have never spent this much on shipping and had to wait months to get it  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 01:15:52 AM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 01:18:49 AM »
Seems everyone should know what it will or will not do before one could say what they would pay for it.  :-\

Given that Canon is, ahem, not rushing to get the 1Dx onto the market I'd be astonished if it was anything less than a winner in most respects. I say most, because nothing is perfect. We have had a good practical heads up on some of the 1Dx qualities and specs with the 5D3. With the usual 1-Series ergonomics, build quality and that feeling of being carved out of a solid lump of Unobtanium, if I were a betting man I'd be backing it into first place.

PW

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 01:51:47 AM »
A fair price will be : 5D3 at $2999 A 1DX at $5299. a 7D2 at $1999

DB

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 02:38:09 AM »
Fair price in Europe would be cheap NY price + round trip flights to JFK, because the 1DX retails for $7900 in Dublin

Seriously though, does it cost twice as much to produce a 1DX than it does to make a 5D3? Please ignore the incremental R&D expense as these ought to be amortised across the product range as components trickle down the product line, such as Digic5 chips, AF system, sensors etc. So if you accept the three and a half grand price tag of the 5D3 as 'fair' then a 1DX should cost no more than two grand more, say $5500 or thereabouts. The extra margin is probably a professional premium.

lola

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 02:59:25 AM »
$6800 is a reasonable price for a nuclear-blast-proof top-of-the-line camera.
20D, 40D, 5D, 5D Mark II, 1DX, D800 EF 17-40mm. f/4.0 L USM, EF 70-200mm. f/2.8 L USM, EF 24-105mm. f/4 L IS USM, EF 100mm. f/2.8 L IS USM Macro, AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm. f/2.8 G ED VR II, AF Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D

JEAraman

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 04:27:54 AM »
I am quite happy with the current price tag and I have pre-ordered mine as well... think I even beat Neuro to it :-) It's the shipping that is killing me, not the price tag - I have never spent this much on shipping and had to wait months to get it  ;D

I'm sure for everyone that has already pre-ordered theirs.. are happy or to say the least, accepting of the price. I for one, was expecting an $8000 price tag and at $6800 (I convinced myself that it's a great deal).

However, I'm just wondering if a lower price tag would have more people pre-ordering the 1dx and not drop their 5d3 orders...

nikkito

• 7D
  • Argentine freelance photographer
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 07:02:28 AM »
Wives should answer here ;))))
www.nicolaszonvi.com - www.facebook.com/zonviphoto

1D X, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 85 f1.2, 40 f2.8, 50 f1.4, Sigma 10-20 and many other toy cameras.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 07:02:28 AM »

SuperCrazySamurai

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2012, 07:42:32 AM »
I too am happy with the price. Just disappointed on the delays :(

Cheers

DB

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2012, 07:43:29 AM »
There is a wider issue here, namely; the product or model lifespan (not talking actuations here but model replacement) so $8000 over 4 year period may be perfectly acceptable, but let's just say that Canon could profitably produce and sell the 1DX for $4999 in volume terms, what would that do the prices of all DSLR bodies down the product line? It would cause price compression and cut too much into profit margins on Rebels and the  xxxxD series because of the ripple down effect. Furthermore, it could totally cannibalise the lower strata of digital cameras completely, especially if a 7D costs less than a grand, a 60D for $600, a T4i for $499, and an entry level 1200D for $299! It would decimate margins on Point-and-Shoot cameras completely.

Orangutan

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2012, 08:59:04 AM »
Let's see: it was announced last October, so in another three months it should start hitting the used and refurb markets, then I can get it at significant discount.   8)

hhelmbold

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2012, 09:09:43 AM »
Wives should answer here ;))))

Mine gave it to me as a Christmas gift... in 2010!  ;D

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2012, 09:20:59 AM »
As long the camera can deliver the results what the PRO(s) looking for, $6800 shouldn’t be a problem. How often do you hear people say “you gotta have the right tool for the right job” – Yes, I believe it.

And if you like me, who use camera to capture family photos, 5D series + some “L” lenses are more than enough. $6800 is a little too high for me.

Maybe someday in the future, but NOT now. ;)
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

birtembuk

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2012, 10:14:53 AM »
Fair price in Europe would be cheap NY price + round trip flights to JFK, because the 1DX retails for $7900 in Dublin

Seriously though, does it cost twice as much to produce a 1DX than it does to make a 5D3? Please ignore the incremental R&D expense as these ought to be amortised across the product range as components trickle down the product line, such as Digic5 chips, AF system, sensors etc. So if you accept the three and a half grand price tag of the 5D3 as 'fair' then a 1DX should cost no more than two grand more, say $5500 or thereabouts. The extra margin is probably a professional premium.

Or maybe it's the other way round. How much was the 1DsIII at launch ? Don't forget that it also boils down to unit production cost as the volume is much lower than cheaper models. Having said that, this 1D series has something out of this world which is worth paying for.     

This is where I want to go: all is a matter of perceived value. We don't mind paying for something if we feel we get the bang for our bucks. Everything in life. Call me stubborn, but at nearly 3900 incl. grip, I am still circling around the 5/3 as I don't have that feeling. Since I need to put a price here, say at 5900, I'd grab one - whenever it reaches the shelves - and leave the 5/3 behind. No second thoughts. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2012, 10:14:53 AM »

JEAraman

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2012, 10:24:21 AM »

Or maybe it's the other way round. How much was the 1DsIII at launch ? Don't forget that it also boils down to unit production cost as the volume is much lower than cheaper models. Having said that, this 1D series has something out of this world which is worth paying for.     

This is where I want to go: all is a matter of perceived value. We don't mind paying for something if we feel we get the bang for our bucks. Everything in life. Call me stubborn, but at nearly 3900 incl. grip, I am still circling around the 5/3 as I don't have that feeling. Since I need to put a price here, say at 5900, I'd grab one - whenever it reaches the shelves - and leave the 5/3 behind. No second thoughts.

Makes perfect sense.. I too thought that the 5d3+ grip is not too far off from 6800.

btw.. my friend at canon told me that the "end of June" availability might not happen :'(  He promised an update in a couple of days...

DB

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2012, 11:37:25 AM »

I totally agree that from a personal viewpoint it is all about perceived value and not actual price, or perhaps even production costs. For all we know the 1DX might be the Buggati Veyron of the camera world, in that Canon might be forced to sell it below cost (as a loss leader) just so that enough enthusiasts as well as pro's buy one and give them exposure, as well as creating the desire and aspiration for 5D users to trade up.

As far as the other point - "Relative Value" - I also agree too that at 2 grand more for 1DX vs 5D3, many potential buyers would go the whole hog and buy the flagship model. It all boils down to what the marketing people think the market will bear (price that is) and how this relative pricing will have a knock on effect on margins on the more profitable consumer end of the business. These new DSLR prices have absolutely nothing to do with 'Supply' (a known entity) and 'Demand' (a stochastic variable), otherwise MSRP's would be fluctuating weekly or monthly, plus in economic there exist multiple equilibria at a given price. Nor may it have anything to do with production costs - just look at L lenses vs EF-S, which make more money for Canon, well obviously the latter as they sell a helluva lot more. Just look at the $1000 hike in the 24-70 mk2 as concrete evidence -> pure avarice or absolute necessity?

On balance then, this is why we're all often confused about their pricing policy - the 5D3 costs more than double the 5D2 (3600 vs 1600 euros where I am). Every business on the planet is either "Volume" or "Margin", IMHO Canon is the former, but they're strategically using relatively high FF camera body prices to raise everyone's price expectations. I mean as a 7D owner (traded up from T2i) who one day will like to move up the digital ladder, will likely shell out an extra $1000 for a 7D2 instead, because I cannot afford a 5D3 or 1D. It's sheer brilliance on Canon's behalf, they must have Quants working for them in their marketing or sales area, using quadratic linear programming algorithms to calculate 'optimal' pricing structure. Why we'll always be in the dark.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2012, 11:37:25 AM »