August 20, 2014, 07:27:13 AM

Author Topic: Advice on Selling 1D Mark IV (unusual situation)  (Read 7953 times)

Astro

Re: Advice on Selling 1D Mark IV (unusual situation)
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 06:22:23 AM »
because most of the time the guy who thought he will make an incredible good deal gets fuked. ;)

i have bought a laptop (one.. not ten) in the USA because mine broke while on vacation and i had all kind of troubles with the tax, returning to europe.

in the end it was an expensive buy.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 06:22:23 AM »

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2012, 06:54:25 AM »
I'm located in Australia but believe VAT is pretty similar to our GST, wouldn't most pro photographers be able to able claim back the VAT? Just thinking if you sell from Asian to the UK most of the potential buyers might not care about paying VAT, and I think the customs duty on most items like cameras is either zero or quite low. Either way if you make it clear they're responsible for local duties and taxes it leaves it up to them to work it out for themselves.

As our ex-pat friend will be making a personal import to the UK he will be responsible for paying VAT at the point of importation. When he comes to sell the gear he can only charge the buyer VAT if he (the seller) is VAT registered. If the seller is not VAT registered then the selling price cannot include VAT therefore no VAT for the buyer to reclaim. Even if they are buying it for business use, no VAT has been charged by the seller.

Are you sure it works the way you described? If you go to restaurant and get the receipt stating "incl. VAT" it means they made a fraud? The difference is that VAT registered buyers can calculate the VAT cost in their costs if the purchased item can be used in buyer's business. But the price and the receipt contains VAT anyway. The seller doesn't care if he sells to the VAT registered or not registered buyer (from the point of view of the buyer). It's the buyer's business how he recalculates this purchase in his books.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 06:59:13 AM by marekjoz »
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 08:55:28 AM »
because most of the time the guy who thought he will make an incredible good deal gets fuked. ;)

i have bought a laptop (one.. not ten) in the USA because mine broke while on vacation and i had all kind of troubles with the tax, returning to europe.

in the end it was an expensive buy.

Not sure why you had problems with a laptop. I have bought numerous laptops in different countries than the one I lived in. Travellers these days, especially business travellers, are expected to have a laptop. There was even a time when I used to travel with two.

Anyway, I do not want to digress from the original topic. I just figured there may be someone in a similar situation as me, that would like a 1D Mark IV cheaper than they can get anywhere else (when there is stock that is). If I bring two, then I could sell two, one would be slightly used (but still only weeks old) the other would not even have been turned on. Or I could just bring one, do the work I need to do (around 1-3,000 pictures and then) sell that one.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

BobSanderson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 10:15:59 AM »
They are definitely not stolen, I just think the shop in question has made a mistake with the price.

This part of the story is enough to stop me. What kind of reputable dealer with many outlets doesn't know how to price expensive merchandise and stays in business?

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 03:58:42 PM »
Just be prepared to not make as much money as you hoped.  You'll be (or should be) charged VAT 17.5% at the airport for your imports, and then any eBay fees - if you decide to try selling it this way.  You'll have to spend plenty of your own time getting them sold, answering questions, satisfying people's concerns about the authenticity of cameras imported from Asia.

And you need to remember that your target customers are highly likely to be pros with pre-orders for the 1DX...
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 06:53:07 PM »
I just bought a nice low shutter count (6500) 1D Mark IV for $3200.  I think you might have trouble selling for more than $4000.  B&H is selling them for $5000, but you are not B&H.  You might do better than $4000, but enough to justify the effort/risk?  What is the $ value of your time?

He's an idea: Buy 1 and.... take photos with it.

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 08:16:40 PM »
This part of the story is enough to stop me. What kind of reputable dealer with many outlets doesn't know how to price expensive merchandise and stays in business?

It has been in business for years, and it is profitable. If you want my opinion they are using the exchange rate that they bought them at to price them today. They are also in a market where perhaps they over purchased the 1D Mark IV because they are not the only reputable company that has them in stock. New and second hand.

I just bought a nice low shutter count (6500) 1D Mark IV for $3200.  I think you might have trouble selling for more than $4000.  B&H is selling them for $5000, but you are not B&H.  You might do better than $4000, but enough to justify the effort/risk?  What is the $ value of your time?

Thanks for your reply. As I mentioned previously, I am not looking to sell to the US, as I will be travelling to the UK for work, but most importantly from my research I discovered that they are much more expensive than in the US. I believe new they are around £ 3,600 or US$ 5,600 and nobody - or very few - have stock.

That's very clever, well done. Here's a sweet.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 08:16:40 PM »

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2012, 09:32:23 PM »
I'm wondering if you lower the price slightly, they may go much quicker.  There is a market out there who wants a fast 1D body but don't want to go all the way to the 1D X.  In the U.S. right now, used are from $4000-$4500 and new $5000-$5100.  In UK I'm sure higher.  I think you can make a lot with the 1DX being priced where it is and how good the 1D Mark IV is.  Good luck to you.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

BobSanderson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2012, 10:26:57 PM »

It has been in business for years, and it is profitable. If you want my opinion they are using the exchange rate that they bought them at to price them today. They are also in a market where perhaps they over purchased the 1D Mark IV because they are not the only reputable company that has them in stock. New and second hand.

That sounds like a new story...

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2012, 10:31:47 PM »
I'm wondering if you lower the price slightly, they may go much quicker.  There is a market out there who wants a fast 1D body but don't want to go all the way to the 1D X.  In the U.S. right now, used are from $4000-$4500 and new $5000-$5100.  In UK I'm sure higher.  I think you can make a lot with the 1DX being priced where it is and how good the 1D Mark IV is.  Good luck to you.

Thanks, I appreciate your feedback.

I haven't actually said how much I am selling them for, I have only said exactly how much I am buying them for and the only reason for that is because I want complete transparency as I will be giving the person that buys one the receipt so they can get the full warranty without any difficulty.

I can understand the doubts of some but this is not my business, I just saw an opportunity. I will be in the UK to cover some pretty major events and will have at least one or two cameras with me. If I leave them in the UK when I return to Asia then fine, I can just get a new one if needed.

Another reason I prefer the UK (apart from the higher price I can sell them for) is I would very much prefer to hand deliver. Like I say, I want total transparency, I would prefer (if at all possible) the person with the money to see them, make sure they work, check the serial number with Canon (which I may be able to do before I even buy them) and be happy with it. I do not want any surprises. This is not going to be a regular busines venture as I am hardly ever in the UK anyway, but I do want the buyer to be 100% happy.

Then on the other hand, if I do not sell any, I don't care, I won't have lost anything apart from the potential for profit. Just seems a shame that I cannot share my good fortune of tumbling on these 1d Mark IVs with someone who might want one at a great price.

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2012, 11:34:04 PM »
Thanks for your reply. As I mentioned previously, I am not looking to sell to the US, as I will be travelling to the UK for work, but most importantly from my research I discovered that they are much more expensive than in the US. I believe new they are around £ 3,600 or US$ 5,600 and nobody - or very few - have stock.

And thanks for your reply to me. 

$5000 in the U.S + 17.5% Vat = $5875, so at $5600, they are cheaper in the UK, unless you are evading taxes.  And that's what your asking here correct?  How to illegally avoid the taxes that will kill your profits?  You could hand carry two, and mail the boxes to yourself.  No VAT on empty boxes as far as I know.

briansquibb

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2012, 11:38:01 PM »

And thanks for your reply to me. 

$5000 in the U.S + 17.5% Vat = $5875, so at $5600, they are cheaper in the UK, unless you are evading taxes.  And that's what your asking here correct?  How to illegally avoid the taxes that will kill your profits?  You could hand carry two, and mail the boxes to yourself.  No VAT on empty boxes as far as I know.

Just for the record - VAT is 20%

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2012, 01:20:50 AM »

Actually no. I do not want to carry the box, all the packaging etc., because to be frank it is far easier to carry a camera in a camera bag. Far less cumbersome, and I can carry it on board so I make sure someone does not throw it around.

As for taxes, I have family there checking with customs and excise. I do not want to do anything illegal. If I wanted to do that, I would have kept my mouth shut, given them to my brother in the UK, he sticks them on ebay or wherever, and nobody would be any the wiser.

Like I said before, I know there is very little, to no stock in the UK, and the prices there are about GBP 1,000 more than I can buy them for here so I thought I would give this community a heads up.

Once I have finished my work in the UK I will come back to where I now live, and maybe I will post the name of the shop, etc so whoever is interested can spend a fortune (and a couple of days) flying here and back to pick one up for him or herself.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2012, 01:20:50 AM »

GuyF

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2012, 05:31:23 AM »
Expat,

Didn't you know the road to hell is paved with good intentions?

Guy.

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2012, 07:23:50 AM »
Just for the record - VAT is 20%
Yikes you're right.  As of January 2011 it went from 17.5% to 20%.  I visited the UK last year and didn't even notice!  Most things are still cheap there though (well, compared with my country).
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2012, 07:23:50 AM »